PDA

View Full Version : My Lab has issues

Rob
04-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Me and my wife took the kids and went to Lacey WA to check out the new Cabelas store(awesome) for 4 days and we left our 7mos old Black Lab "Abby" with the vet (they boarder dogs). When we got home on Tuesday and I picked Her up, they said(with rolling eyes) that she barked all weekend, Ive only heard Her bark probably twice before that. Thats not that bad but when she was home she started eating Her turds, shes never done this either, anyway My question is, Is there anything the dog is missing in Her diet to make Her eat the turds?(besides ketchup for Her poop:shock:). Her Barking has slowed now that she is back home with us.Thanks, Rob

calvin L
04-25-2008, 09:50 PM
My female at time will eat her crap also I have no clue as to why! I also know that she will eat horse crap also . I think it is just a dog thing .

Marc
04-25-2008, 09:54 PM
I've got a female that's been cleaning the back yard for me for the past 9 years. Some dogs are just poop eaters. I think the biggest cause onmy part was that my female was a bit over weight so we put her on low cal food so now she supplements her diet with at hot turd once in a while if I don't clean it up before she gets at it. You have to love it when you're laying on the couch and she comes up to you and burps in your face.

Chuck
04-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Sounds like what I did to my pup many years ago. She'd never been out of our family circle since we got her from her birth mother. We left her with friends for a week while visiting family and she absolutely went berzerk. We had no contact with her till we got back. We assumed all was well. How embarrassing for me and my wife to find out that our friends were almost driven crazy by her behavior and it definitely put a damper on our friendship. Poor pup too - thought that we had really let her down by abandoning her. Good news is that she eventually got over it. I should have known better and taken her with us, but our kids were small and we had a small car full as it was. Live and learn I guess.

Rob
04-25-2008, 10:02 PM
Well it all sounds about right, mine also was pickin at horse turds on our walk tonight, we just cut Her food back about 2 weeks ago as we seen She was getting to much.Thanks for the info. I guess its less cleaning for me and the kids:smile:. Rob

srupp
04-26-2008, 04:14 AM
Our one lab also ate poop, we asked the vet, he said it wasnt good for her..DUH......the vet said he had a powder that they sprinkle on the poop so it and I quote.."TASTES BAD TO THE DOGS" Im no rocket scientist but what in the HECK can you sprinkle on Sh#^T to make it taste bad??? or worse?? By definition when something tastes bad we say "it tastes like sh##%^t "

Apparantly it is not that unusual for some dogs to eat poop... :eek:

Steven

Steeleco
04-26-2008, 08:13 AM
I had a Shepard/Lab bitch that did the same thing her whole life. Our vet at the time called it the "Dening instinct" They do it in the wild to clean up after the new born pups so they don't roll in it. It's an instinct that some dogs get an overdose of. They ONLY thing you can do it pick it up sooner than later.

We tried all the tricks, yeast in the kibble (makes the poo taste bad??) Tabasco, cayenne peppers you name it. I actually think she liked it seasoned more than plain!!

RBH
04-27-2008, 03:49 PM
I am wondering if you are talking about related events (eats poop because you left her) or two separate things - 1) distress because you left her, and (2) eats poop.

Lots of dogs eat poop. You can talk to the vet but I'm not sure there is any consensus on why this is -- just is. Not what you want your pride and joy doing :oops: in the park and that will definitely be the end of face licks! Anyway, not that uncommon.

As for the distress, I guess it was tough on the dog. I figure future trips to the vet will not be happy times. Looking back on raising my dog, we tried to have him sleep in a cage in the kitchen. Did not like that one bit and had a hate on for the cage forever. In retrospect, I have heard that with puppies the cage is OK but better to put it in the bedroom when the dog is real young (and new to the house/away from momma) so they can smell and hear you. Later the kennel can be moved to another room. The point of that is that it is important to be sensitive to the dog's needs when they are young or it can create problems. Hopefully your girl is ok and will forgive and forget.

newhunterette
04-27-2008, 04:00 PM
feed your dog Certs mints - the retsin in certs deters them from eatin poop - our vet told us to do this - our dog never ate her poop again - the retsin does something to the poop and gives them good breath

by the way our poop eater is a female black lab (okay non-poop eater now)

memphis
04-29-2008, 10:48 PM
try the tabasco sauce. you'll hear it from lots of people how there dogs eat sh$t but all in all it aint good for them, or their insides. yall should make a morning of putting tabasco on it and do it a few days that'll sort it out. problem is she could start eating duck and bird sh&t and thats when the dog will get real sick. the horse sh&t aint all that bad, its sick... but not harmful.

Fisher-Dude
04-30-2008, 07:55 AM
Your dog suffered from separation anxiety. As tough as it was on ME, I made my new pup sleep outside in his kennel for about 8 months before he was allowed to sleep in the house. My dog trainer insisted that I do it, and she knew what was best for him. Now, when I have to leave my dog elsewhere when I'm out of town, he's sad to see me go but is well behaved when I'm gone.

My dog got really sick on horse $hit when he was a pup, so we did some training on it. I used the pinch collar on him, let him head towards a steaming pile, and gave him a sharp correction with a strong "NO!" Now he stays right away from it.

newhunterette
04-30-2008, 08:30 AM
Azshia is taking her Vet Assistant Degree so I asked her to find some information regarding this;

She emailed me this:

Your dog eating poop or dog coprophagia is a habit which doesn't make sense to us dog owner's.
It's a habit which is most prevalent in puppies, and certain breeds are also more susceptible to it than others.

How To Stop Your Dog Eating Poop
There are many theories and opinions as to why a dog would bother to eat poop. Finding the cause of your dogs poop eating habit is the key to determining the correct solution.
When dogs eat poop it is not only embarrassing for us owners, it can also cause diseases and worms to be passed on to your dog.
Why Do Dogs Eat Poop?
There are two general causes for dog coprophagia:

Dog behavioral problem.
It could mean that your dog has an underlying medical problem.More Specific Reasons Why Dogs Eat Poop

It tastes good to your dog! I know it doesn't make sense to me either, but this is the major reason young puppies eat their poop.
Your puppy may have a vitamin or mineral deficiency and is trying to correct the balance through eating poop.
Could be the result of anxiety or boredom.
Some dogs that are over fed eat their own feces because the food hasn't been fully digested. Therefore the feces still smell and probably taste like the dogs dinner.
Your dog may eat his own poop when trying to clean up his area. This task should be performed by the dog owner.
Solutions To Stop Your Dog Eating Poop
Feed a well balanced and nutritious meal. Do not over feed.
Keep your dogs living area clean from feces.
If possible, try feeding twice a day. Feed the same amount but just in two portions. This works for dogs who eat poop through hunger.
Add a bit of pineapple or spinach to your dogs meals. When your dog goes to eat his poop, apparently it tastes horrible to him after eating the pineapple or spinach.
Teach the basic obedience command "off". Proper obedience training eliminates almost all problem behaviors, including coprophagia.
If your dog eats his poop immediately after eliminating, provide a distraction. As soon as your dog does the business run away from the area and call him over. This should be enough to get his mind off the poop. When he gets to you be sure to praise and reward him.If you believe an underlying medical condition is causing your dog to eat poop, please visit your Vet for a thorough examination. The above techniques will not help dogs that need medical attention.
Be consistent in your mission to stop your dog from eating poop, you should be able to break the habit before long.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Get a cat. Never heard of them eating their own crap:confused:.

Just proves that cats really are smarter than dogs:p

SSS

Wolfman
04-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Me and my wife took the kids and went to Lacey WA to check out the new Cabelas store(awesome) for 4 days and we left our 7mos old Black Lab "Abby" with the vet (they boarder dogs). When we got home on Tuesday and I picked Her up, they said(with rolling eyes) that she barked all weekend, Ive only heard Her bark probably twice before that. Thats not that bad but when she was home she started eating Her turds, shes never done this either, anyway My question is, Is there anything the dog is missing in Her diet to make Her eat the turds?(besides ketchup for Her poop:shock:). Her Barking has slowed now that she is back home with us.Thanks, Rob

Dewey.

I think maybe being away from her family traumatized her, man.
I had a normally mellow Chesapeake Bay once who totally freaked when we left him with friends for a weekend.
Dogs are very pack oriented. Maybe your little gal just couldn't take it when her 'pack' went off and left her for a spell.

Wolfman

johnes50
04-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Feel lucky you don't live on a cattle ranch. My dog stopped eating for weeks and I couldn't figure out why. He was eating frozen cow pies and trying to hop into bed at night with me and my wife smelling of cow manure. I guess he got tired or Purina dog chow. Once it thawed he stopped.

Wolfman
04-30-2008, 10:43 AM
I've got a female that's been cleaning the back yard for me for the past 9 years. Some dogs are just poop eaters. I think the biggest cause onmy part was that my female was a bit over weight so we put her on low cal food so now she supplements her diet with at hot turd once in a while if I don't clean it up before she gets at it. You have to love it when you're laying on the couch and she comes up to you and burps in your face.

Marc, I'm just killin' myself laughing here from reading that post! Can hardly type ;-)

Wolfman

Wolfman
04-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Could be the result of anxiety or boredom.

Alison, may I NEVER get that bored ;-) ;-)

Wolfman

Kevin21
04-30-2008, 11:26 AM
I have a 1 year old male and hes just stoppin eatin it I think its a faze cause we tried getting that powder from the Vet and I swear it was just a marinade for him. As far as the barking mine did the same when we used to put him in his own kennel it was great when he used to bark at around 2 in the morning wake the house up some people may not agree with it but i used a bark coller for about 2 weeks only when he was in the kennel so he stopped doin it

Sharkey
04-30-2008, 01:11 PM

SSS

Ever seen a dog make quick work of the litter box?

farside
04-30-2008, 01:33 PM
hahaha

Them are extra special coated "Tootsy Rolls". Have yet to meet a dog who didn't like the special coated ones:shock:

Fisher-Dude
04-30-2008, 02:10 PM

SSS

My dog would probably kill and eat your cats. :shock:

As George Costanza said: "Guys with cats.....I dunno......"

http://heavenandheck.files.wordpress.com/2006/12/george_costanza.jpg

Stone Sheep Steve
04-30-2008, 02:48 PM
My dog would probably kill and eat your cats. :shock:

I'm not too sure about that. I picked up my cat at the SPCA too:shock:.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=G0tiT7KlACM

Yes, you do remind me of George:razz:.

SSS

Onesock
04-30-2008, 03:10 PM
The neighbours dog craps in my yard all the time. I put bacon grease on the crap and the dog now cleans up after herself. I hope she licks her owners face when she gets home.

Pintail
09-26-2008, 03:16 PM
... there's nothing missing in your dog's diet. Labs are known for this trait starting at the six month old period. There's a simple solution that should solve the problem. Take a meat tenderizer, say like A-1 and sprinkle(small amount) it on your pups food. When it passes though the dog, the pup will no longer find the turds appealing to eat. Give it a try, it's worked for me in the past.

JeffR
09-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Your dog may eat his own poop when trying to clean up his area. This task should be performed by the dog owner.

If your dog was kept in a kennel at the boarders and ate poop inside the kennel, I would guess this would be the cause. I have heard of many dogs doing this in an effort to keep their kennels clean.

Pumkin is supposed to make shit taste bad to your dog as well.

island grown
09-29-2008, 01:40 PM
[quote=JeffR;334254]If your dog was kept in a kennel at the boarders and ate poop inside the kennel, I would guess this would be the cause. I have heard of many dogs doing this in an effort to keep their kennels clean.

hey there Rob, this quote her seems to make sense to me.. i have also found when labs are left without there owners/families they tend to do that. it seems to be a stress thing. my lab used to do the same along with chewing all her fur off. but once back home things went back to normal.

cheers