PDA

View Full Version : bear necessities

hafwit
04-25-2008, 09:15 PM
dillemma is this: prairie boy who has sister & family who just moved to B.C. I do not like bears.when hunting hungarian partridge the only injury might be twisted ankle in gopher hole. Now would like to take pup and hunt God's country, but He put big grizzly bears there! Do I trade in my 20 gauge which I love for a 12? keep my 7mm slung on my back? is 20 gauge big enough to stop bad bear? Or don't worry about it because if it happens it will be all over before I know it? Just want to hunt grouse and bunnies and little creatures with pointing dog, but am a little nervous about it.just me and pup. no partner.any advice appreciated.

BearSniper
04-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Sure, why not get a 12 guage?

That way you can use slugs for Bears and smaller shot for grouse

moosecaller
04-26-2008, 06:06 AM
Happens so rare you are talking yourself into a problem that may taint your pleasure times, be aware but don't get paranoid. Lots of people go out every year with no protection and enjoy the bush and never have any issues with bears. You can and will see mean nasties behind/under every tree and shadow if you think youself into it.
PS. former stubble jumper here.

switchback
04-26-2008, 08:09 AM
There are lots of bears in B.C. and lots of peaple as well. You are far more likely to have peaple trouble than bear trouble. Do they have peaple were you live? You can pick up a brochure from the M.O.E. that will guide you on what to do in bear country. My biggest advice is stay away from spawing salmon streams, away from mamma bears with cubs and keep your campsite clean of food stuff by burning or burying (away from camp) left overs. Sounds like you will have your dog with you so that will help. I go bird hunting with my dog and I enjoy it very much and I was mulled by a grizzly years ago.

Mr. Dean
04-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Happens so rare you are talking yourself into a problem that may taint your pleasure times, be aware but don't get paranoid. Lots of people go out every year with no protection and enjoy the bush and never have any issues with bears. You can and will see mean nasties behind/under every tree and shadow if you think youself into it.
PS. former stubble jumper here.

X2.

I wouldn't get to worked up about it. Keep some slugs @ hand for your 20,,, go git some birds.;-)

Gateholio
04-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Carry a few 20 guage slugs in your ammo belt. It's what Iused to do when I hunted grouse alot.

ruger#1
04-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Keep your 20g and get some slugs for it. i also hunt birds and do the same thing, I also have a pointer who is bear wary and has treed a few bears for me. Some dogs are amazing.

ElectricDyck
05-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Pepper spray is also said to have a 70% rate of success in close quarters. I always carry some after reading Gary Shelton's book.

PS for a more enjoyable time in the bush, don't read the book.

Marmo+
05-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Pepper spray all the way. It will work on the grouse too! You can get one of those rem. 870express 12guages for about 400 bucks and change...very versatile.

Wolfman
05-01-2008, 01:04 PM
I'd trade up to a 12 gauge if you can swing it.

You will likely have fewer difficulties with bears than with humans, though I too have had run-ins with bears and as a result ain't the biggest fan of 'em. Most bears like us even less than we like them though...

When I'm out in country where there are lots of bears I keep the 'ol 870 nearby ;-)

Best way to go, in my opinion, is to be prepared buy don't get overly worked up about bears, otherwise you might just be so worried about Yogi and his pals that you will have a crappy time out.

Ron.C
05-01-2008, 01:56 PM
No need to upgrade to a 12 guage. There are lots of bowhunters and hikers in BC that spend time in Griz country without guns and they are not being attacked in great numbers. I sometimes wonder how many bears are needlessly shot each year by anxious hunters who encounter a bear and feel the safest bet is to just shoot it. I say you are fine. If you find yourself in the extremely rare situation where a bear already has it in his mind that he wants you, your not going to have time to load any slugs in your gun anyway.You'll be hunting with a dog and the dog will most likely give you indication there is something wrong or there is a bear near you before you'll see it. There is a lot of books and websites out there on how to be bear safe in the bush. Take the time to read some, learn more about bear behavior, carry some pepper spray just in case, and be aware of your surroundings as you go. happy hunting.

Rob
05-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Can of bear spray on your hip(not your pack), have it so it will come out quickly. Ive had a few surprise encounters with bears(blacks) in the woods and they have always high tailed it out.Rob

mark4
05-02-2008, 12:10 PM
It doesn't hurt to have a 12 gauge defender or guide gun slung over your back while you are birdhunting- It may give you more peace of mind than anything else- This is what I do whenever I have a good chance of crossing paths with grizzlies. They have alway's ran for their lives in the other direction when I have stumbled on them, but not everyone has been as lucky. A 338 win mag or 450 marlin should keep you healthy and in good spirits LOL.