PDA

View Full Version : Wicked cat footage

BlacktailStalker
04-24-2008, 08:31 PM
I'm not a fan of youtube.
I actually followed a stupid link to it but did a quick search and this video showed some good front line action of what goes on that normally isnt seen by the followers.
Worth a watch.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=jaFrgQyVxPU&feature=related

dino
04-24-2008, 09:38 PM
that dont look very sporting!

BlacktailStalker
04-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Hunting with hounds isn't sporting ???

Johnny G1
04-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Thats just why I would shoot a dog thats running wildlife of any kind. Just my thoughts.

mud-dog27
04-24-2008, 10:37 PM
i thought it was a grea video

tomahawk
04-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Certainly not the kind of hunt for me.

The Hermit
04-24-2008, 11:35 PM
I'm in...sign me up! I'd love to take a cougar with a bow. The dogs don't always catch up either from what I gather. I think running for miles to keep up with the dogs and cat would be one hell of a chase!

Nailgunslinger
04-24-2008, 11:42 PM
Pretty much the main method of hunting cougars. I don't think I have met anyone who hunts them regularly without dogs. Its not easy to train a dog for this kind of work, many die or are injured. It takes a good handler to control a hunt. Hunting isn't a sport anyway, its a one sided "game" and I use the term unwotonly, where we kill animals to eat (hopefully). Johnny G1, I'd watch your actions in the bush in real life, you might not like the consequences of your thoughts put to motion.:cool:

Steeleco
04-25-2008, 12:07 AM
that dont look very sporting!

Hunting isn't a sport, it's an outdoor activity the involves the killing of wild animals. Soccer is a sport. ;)

Thats just why I would shoot a dog thats running wildlife of any kind. Just my thoughts.

Read the book, it's as legal as any of the other forms of hunting. With all due respect, this is the kind of attitude that helps to divide all us hunters as a group, hunting is hunting, so long as it's done legally fill your boots IHMO.

BTW Great video.

BigBanger
04-25-2008, 12:48 AM
I like the video,if anyone turned a gun on my dog while running wildlife of any kind i might just turn my gun on him.Just my .2

The Dawg
04-25-2008, 02:14 AM
I like the video,if anyone turned a gun on my dog while running wildlife of any kind i might just turn my gun on him.Just my .2

Might?...I know I DEFINATELY would.

Thanks for the vid....

calvin L
04-25-2008, 06:44 AM
That video was great. I have been on a few cat hunts and the kill has always been a let down .That being said they have been some of the best hunts I have ever been on . The chase the dog work is so cool it is hard to beat. That is about the only way you will regularly get the chance at a cat. We all should be thankful for the video footage as most will never see that happen in there life time . One, not all hunt cats & too it is too hard to keep up with the dog's . Again great video thanks for the link.
Johnny G1

As to shooting at a dog in a legal hunt that does that make you ?

tomahawk

That is a great reply to the video . I respect that

calvin L

Big Daddy Ryan
04-25-2008, 07:23 AM
Great video, i've never been on a cougar hunt with dogs so it was pretty cool to see it. Pretty amazing when that cat shoots straight up the tree and then jumps from tree to tree...

Stone Sheep Steve
04-25-2008, 07:33 AM
For all of those guys that this video is "not their cup of tea".....you find won't find too many cougars getting shot without the use of hounds. We could follow California's lead and ban cougar hunting altogether. Now California Conservation Officers shoot more cougars than hound hunters ever did.
Can you guess how the kill them? Hounds:roll:.

Think about your responses before you post them. Try to use logic and not your emotions (like the antis do).

SSS

gone hunting
04-25-2008, 07:54 AM
Interesting debate. I have always disliked the word "sport" being used to describe hunting. And I don't think of it as grocery shopping, though I eat what I hunt. The amount of time, money and effort we spend per pound of meat.... if this was just for the meat, I'd leave the shopping to my wife.
I think its got something to do with primative insticts and getting back to our place in the food chain. I have a small hobby farm and whenever its time to do in a steer or take pigs or chickens to be slaughtered, I feel a certain amount of guilt.
I'm a meat eater and a hunter. I'd rather eat game than domestic meat, I'd rather be a moose than a steer and I'd rather be shot than eaten live by a pack of wolves. But that's just me.
PS Nothing dies of old age in the wild.

buckguy
04-25-2008, 08:19 AM
The topic is as diverse as hunting is. It is not my style but I can appreciate the time,effort and dedication of the hunter and his hounds to pursue big cats. For me I belive if I shoot something it is to be eaten, and not just for trophy aspects. We should not judge others as to thier motives for the different style of hunting as hunting is hunting, just different ways to do it. As long as it in accordace with the law I have no problems with people using hounds to hunt animals.

Rock Doctor
04-25-2008, 09:06 AM
It's a good vid, with some exellent vid coverage. I would have to say that hunting like this, with hounds, is alot harder (more effort required) than most guys think. Dogs don't tree every cat they come across, and handlers really need to be in shape to keep up with the dogs.

I have never met an overweight hound handler, although I'm sure there are some out there!

BlacktailStalker
04-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Johnyy G1; thats a pretty bold statement, theres a lot of godd guys on this site with hounds that might take that personal. There's nothing illegal or wrong with pursuing cats with hounds. Take some time and review the forum rules, theres no room for bashing or going against others legal methods of pursuing game.

Buckguy; Nothing wrong with that view but remember real houndsmen let 99% of the cats go and eat the ones that hit the ground.

Mr. Dean
04-25-2008, 10:58 AM
That vid shows only a snippet of the picture, to bad it was cut when the shooter was just about to tell the story.

If a method is legal, I'm good. We're CONSTANTLY under the microscope and being threatened from all sides for a "stop this", "ban that" and "restrict the other"... The only thing that comments such as these lead too, is the demise of ALL hunters.

I'd LOVE too have a kitty rug, but don't see me getting one w/ the use of hounds anytime soon. The hunt would likely kill me.

Marc
04-25-2008, 01:21 PM
For those of you who think that cougar meat isn't edible or good your fooling yourselves. I got to try it for the first time at a game banquette and it was one of the first meat to run out. It was awesome and reminded me of a pork roast. Most houndsmen out there let the cats go to chase another day and like mentioned eat the ones that hit the ground.

Shed Hunter
04-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Humans kill just about every thing thy eat, from plants to animals. You go to the store and get it or you harvest it. Different strokes for different folks. Cat is good like chicken or Rabat. A cat wanted me for dinner once, it was a close call. I am still here. I never hunted cat then. I do a little cat hunting now. I no how cat taste like. But the cat does not no how I taste like.

TPK
04-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Johnny G1, I'd watch your actions in the bush in real life, you might not like the consequences of your thoughts put to motion.:cool:

This is the second (that I know of) time you have insinuated you would shoot anyone that shot your dog. If you control your dog you won't have a problem, if you don't, you may. People like myself that shoot their mouth off about killing dogs are not talking about sneeking into someone's yard and shooting a sleeping pet. We're talking about taking care of a problem animal causing damage or creating "problems". Are you really so emotional as to not be able to help yourself from killing a human that has killed a "percieved at the time to be" problem animal? If so, I suggest you give your guns away because it's just a matter of time before someone does something that crossess your moral line and will have to pay with their life. You have already indicated twice that you are more than willing to do so.

browningboy
04-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Not my "style" but I guess if it floats your boat, go for it, it's perfectly legal!

Elkhound
04-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Great vid......thanks for posting. I too would love to try this. Gonna have to sweet talk Baraccuda one of these days

houndogger
04-25-2008, 09:20 PM
Some great footage of the chase on that cat. Tough to get good footage like that on this Island.

Some real dorky comments that is for sure?

Nailgunslinger
04-25-2008, 10:43 PM
This is the second (that I know of) time you have insinuated you would shoot anyone that shot your dog. If you control your dog you won't have a problem, if you don't, you may. People like myself that shoot their mouth off about killing dogs are not talking about sneeking into someone's yard and shooting a sleeping pet. We're talking about taking care of a problem animal causing damage or creating "problems". Are you really so emotional as to not be able to help yourself from killing a human that has killed a "percieved at the time to be" problem animal? If so, I suggest you give your guns away because it's just a matter of time before someone does something that crossess your moral line and will have to pay with their life. You have already indicated twice that you are more than willing to do so.

No, what your talking about is taking the law into your own hands and dealing with what you see as a "perceived at the time to be" "problem animal". Nowhere in this thread, or in the other before I replied, dipicted such an acurate scenario. It was more like "I shoot any dog chasing any wildlife".
What in the bloody hell makes you think that for one second me or another person who has invested time, love and hard work in an animal that has protected and served its family unit faithfully from puppyhood on, would not be infuriated to the point of no return? What have you or any other moron that thinks that they are serving the nation by killing a dog loose in the wild, done for me that I would stay my hand? My dog is family, he has protected me and my household. If you shot my wife or kids I would hunt you down as well. It seems vigilante justice suits you just fine when its to YOUR own moral codes. I also wouldn't need a firearm to deal with the culprit but as they would have just shot my dog, presumably close to me they would have it coming in short order.
I stated the acceptable course of action to take with my dog. If you catch it attacking an animal not lawfully enaged in a hunt, shoot it, its a menace. Dog chase things as a rule, they also escape at times and run after different smells. It doesnt deserve to be shot for following its own genetic code. You might not have the testicular fortitude to deal with someone shooting you,your family(dog included), thats not my fault. Maybe you should give up your firearms and move to a hippie commune where you can throw flowers at someone that crosses the proverbial line.

Bow Walker
04-26-2008, 09:02 AM
Ok guys. Debate is fine. Personal attacks and name calling are not. This thread seems to have turned into a debate (of sorts) about the ethics of using dogs to hunt game animals. So be it. Debate away. But do it in a civil manner.

dino
04-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Wow! I cant believe how someones opinion is taken so personal here.I better not post any more of my videos. I dont want to hurt anyones feelings.
BTW we all live off death.

TPK
04-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Sorry to sidetrack a good thread. It's a great video. Post away if you have some, and thanks for the reminder to keep it light so folks won't be turned off from posting. :redface:

scoot
04-27-2008, 12:12 AM
Awsome video!. I have never hunted cat before but would love to try it. Tough to get into though without having access to dogs.

Gentlemen, whether we consider hunting a sport or not, I would consider it sensible to respect another hunters form of hunting (granted it's legal).

If you don't care for it, tomahawk put it great "Certainly not the kind of hunt for me."

SSS said it perfect. "Think about your responses before you post them. Try to use logic and not your emotions (like the antis do)."
Very true. We are a community of people with a common interest. We don't need to divide ourselves over not respecting each others hunting practices.

huntwriter
04-27-2008, 06:16 AM
No, what your talking about is taking the law into your own hands and dealing with what you see as a "perceived at the time to be" "problem animal". Nowhere in this thread, or in the other before I replied, dipicted such an acurate scenario. It was more like "I shoot any dog chasing any wildlife".
What in the bloody hell makes you think that for one second me or another person who has invested time, love and hard work in an animal that has protected and served its family unit faithfully from puppyhood on, would not be infuriated to the point of no return? What have you or any other moron that thinks that they are serving the nation by killing a dog loose in the wild, done for me that I would stay my hand? My dog is family, he has protected me and my household. If you shot my wife or kids I would hunt you down as well. It seems vigilante justice suits you just fine when its to YOUR own moral codes. I also wouldn't need a firearm to deal with the culprit but as they would have just shot my dog, presumably close to me they would have it coming in short order.
I stated the acceptable course of action to take with my dog. If you catch it attacking an animal not lawfully enaged in a hunt, shoot it, its a menace. Dog chase things as a rule, they also escape at times and run after different smells. It doesnt deserve to be shot for following its own genetic code. You might not have the testicular fortitude to deal with someone shooting you,your family(dog included), thats not my fault. Maybe you should give up your firearms and move to a hippie commune where you can throw flowers at someone that crosses the proverbial line.

That is exactly the type of conversations the anti gun lobby who frequents websites such as this one LOVES to read, it support their agenda.:roll:

Nailgunslinger
04-27-2008, 09:33 AM
That is exactly the type of conversations the anti gun lobby who frequents websites such as this one LOVES to read, it support their agenda.:roll:

Well the day my opinions are to be extinguished from the light is the day I give up my firearms in a Charleton Heston sort of way. I do apologize for the extent of my tangent, namely name calling, my exact thoughts need not be expressed on this site in that manner. Replace firearm or gun with bludgeoning tool, then maybe just the ant-bludgeoing tool lobby will read it.;-) On a side note I have never read an article directly related to hunting/shooting/firerarms websites and the discussions held within. If you could give a link that showed a direct connection between the two, as in mentioned specifically in a case, newspaper or internet blog, I would be more than happy to vocalize my opinions in a way that couldn't be utilzed by said groups.
NGS

huntwriter
04-27-2008, 10:17 AM
Well the day my opinions are to be extinguished from the light is the day I give up my firearms in a Charleton Heston sort of way. I do apologize for the extent of my tangent, namely name calling, my exact thoughts need not be expressed on this site in that manner. Replace firearm or gun with bludgeoning tool, then maybe just the ant-bludgeoing tool lobby will read it.;-) On a side note I have never read an article directly related to hunting/shooting/firerarms websites and the discussions held within. If you could give a link that showed a direct connection between the two, as in mentioned specifically in a case, newspaper or internet blog, I would be more than happy to vocalize my opinions in a way that couldn't be utilzed by said groups.
NGS

Answering your question here would constitute a hijack of this thread. To avoid this I will gladly answer you in a PM. :wink:

FlyingHigh
04-27-2008, 11:49 AM
mountain lions are the coolest animals on the face of this planet. wolves are a very close second. both are my two favorite animals. personally, i only want to shoot one of each for a beautiful combined trophy mount. after that, i'll be content to take pictures. however, i have no problem with people who hunt cats and wolves regularly. i do however, have a problem with people who threaten to and/or interfere with a legal hunt of said animals, especially to the point of shooting the dogs. i too, am in the group that states if you shoot my dog, you better have a damn good hiding place.

BlacktailStalker
04-27-2008, 12:10 PM
Flying High;
Glad to see some people like yourself see it for what it is.
That is exactly why most people hunt cats, because they are by far one of the most interesting animals we have, that you wouldnt get to see up close and personal otherwise.
On top of that it combines the joys of working with and being around dogs, something that just about any man can appreciate.
The phenominal pictures are just icing on the cake.

Your signature line contradicts your last reply ;)

happygilmore
04-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Anyone who thinks hunting cats with dogs is easy (un-sporting) has never been! You invest more time and money and miles than probably any other type of hunting, it is more ethical because you have the chance to look at the cat, judge size and sex and only take the big toms. You end up letting alot of cats go before you find one to take.
It's to bad the video's don't show the days of looking for tracks or the hours of chase that turned up nothing, they only show the kill.
If that's all you showed someone of your deer hunt they would assume it was easy aswell..."with your high powered scopes and modern rifles..."
Keep an open mind...and shut the rest of your holes:idea:

houndogger
04-27-2008, 01:56 PM
To responses shooting dogs chasing game, would you shoot someones dog retreving a duck? Cause the hunter never fetched himself? Would ya shoot their bird dog flushing birds? It is all the same. If it not your cup tea that is great for the fellars that it is. I thought the video was great. Showed some great trailing, short bay up, some tree jumping. ended in a kill with a lifetime trophy for the lucky hunter.

TPK
04-28-2008, 10:36 AM
To responses shooting dogs chasing game, would you shoot someones dog retreving a duck? Cause the hunter never fetched himself? Would ya shoot their bird dog flushing birds? It is all the same. If it not your cup tea that is great for the fellars that it is. I thought the video was great. Showed some great trailing, short bay up, some tree jumping. ended in a kill with a lifetime trophy for the lucky hunter.

No one (including myself) was indicating they would shoot hunting dogs or dogs in the act of game retrieval just because they didn't like that "style" of hunting. If that's how it was taken, it was taken wrong, at least that was never my stand. I have no issues with any legal hunting activity. In my case, the discussion around shooting dogs was simply about shooting problem dogs. I assume that if someone squeezed the trigger on a dog, that it was done after proper consideration and they were sure it wasn't engagded in a legal hunting activity with it's owner near by. If you're flushing birds with a dog, you are near by with a shotgun are you not, usually (hopefully) in sight of the dog and certainly within shotgun range of what ever he/she is flushing? If you have sent your well trained lab out after a duck, you are near by right, in fact you have just fire a gun right? Certainly in both of these cases it would be obvious that it's hunting season and the dogs are engadged in hunting with their owners nearby and likely in sight.

If there is no open season, or LEH or anything legally allowing for dogs to be actively hunting, as in chasing game (birds, dear, bear, what ever), then a dog doing that is at risk for being shot is it not? I'm not advocating a canine jihad, in fact I Love dogs as much as anyone, but I do have the "testicular fortitude" to put one down if and when it needs to be put down. What I have further been trying to say is that even with caution and consideration, a mistake could still be made (percieved to be at the time threat) and if so, that it should not errupt in a gun fight with human against human. Just because you train and pour love and affection into your dog, it's life should not be weighed against that of a human life.

Nailgunslinger
04-28-2008, 11:01 AM
I just thought I would clear up the legalities of using dogs for hunting purposes in B.C. Taken from the Hunting Synopisis (current).

"Dogs

The use of dogs is permitted in the hunting of all game, but
dogs must be on a leash when used to hunt deer, elk, moose,
mountain sheep, mountain goat and caribou. Unleashed dogs may
be used to hunt small game, lynx, bobcat, grizzly bear, black bear
or cougar.Any person may train dogs by allowing them, under
supervision, to pursue game birds from August 1 to April 30."

As for comparing a human to a dogs life, in Gods eyes humans are higher on the list. In mans eyes its all realitive and is based on opinion. Unless you have seen with your own eyes a dog tearing apart a non-sanctioned chase animal, you have no moral or legal obligation to do anything. It is up to the C.O.'s to determine if the animal is a threat, not anyone merley possesing a hunting licence, P.A.L and a firearm. Johnny G1 mentioned and I quote "Thats just why I would shoot a dog thats running wildlife of any kind. Just my thoughts." Thats who my reply was orginally intended for TPK, unless your specific about how and why you would kill a dog you get lumped in with him.

Mr. Dean
04-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Tired of the pup's.... Lets get another cat vid!!!

TPK
04-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Me too .. more vids please.

Barracuda
04-28-2008, 06:48 PM
No one (including myself) was indicating they would shoot hunting dogs or dogs in the act of game retrieval just because they didn't like that "style" of hunting. If that's how it was taken, it was taken wrong, at least that was never my stand. I have no issues with any legal hunting activity. In my case, the discussion around shooting dogs was simply about shooting problem dogs. I assume that if someone squeezed the trigger on a dog, that it was done after proper consideration and they were sure it wasn't engagded in a legal hunting activity with it's owner near by. If you're flushing birds with a dog, you are near by with a shotgun are you not, usually (hopefully) in sight of the dog and certainly within shotgun range of what ever he/she is flushing? If you have sent your well trained lab out after a duck, you are near by right, in fact you have just fire a gun right? Certainly in both of these cases it would be obvious that it's hunting season and the dogs are engadged in hunting with their owners nearby and likely in sight.

If there is no open season, or LEH or anything legally allowing for dogs to be actively hunting, as in chasing game (birds, dear, bear, what ever), then a dog doing that is at risk for being shot is it not? I'm not advocating a canine jihad, in fact I Love dogs as much as anyone, but I do have the "testicular fortitude" to put one down if and when it needs to be put down. What I have further been trying to say is that even with caution and consideration, a mistake could still be made (percieved to be at the time threat) and if so, that it should not errupt in a gun fight with human against human. Just because you train and pour love and affection into your dog, it's life should not be weighed against that of a human life.

First off i had been avoiding this thread because i knew it would be a bit of a gong show but i gotta saym the vids are great.

TPK you you are wrong !
Do realize that you are not allowed to shoot a dog chaseing game unless you are a and officer entitled to do so. as a pvt citizen you would be knee deep in shmitt and have you but sued .

Ignorance is no excuse in regards to the law ,
As hard as it may be for you, I urge you to look into the legalities of you destroying a dog in the bush because you think you are entitled too.

ps: they hide that information in things called Books:roll:

ps ps:
Dave and the others that have expressed interest(30-06,etc..) ,I am running my hounds on spring bear, so if you are interested shoot me a pm if ya want to come along.

livingston
04-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Looks like it would be a fun time and a good work out hunting with dogs, good video.
I have only seen 3 cougars in all the time I have spent in the bush around BC, I think hunting with hounds is the only way to hunt cougar, there senses are so much better than ours.It would be by pure luck to happen upon one in the thick coastal forest and actually get a shot.

Ron.C
04-28-2008, 08:14 PM
First off, good video. I always thought it would be neat to go on a cougar hunt, but not too sure now. I am not saying it's unsportsmanlike or unetical, but I am not sure I would get any satisfaction out of it. But fill you boots if thats what you like and keep posting pics/video's. I like to watch them in any case

TPK
04-28-2008, 08:20 PM
TPK you you are wrong ! Do realize that you are not allowed to shoot a dog chasing game ....

Yes, I was made aware of that fact. How ever as it pertains to my circumstance, I'm talking about on my property, not Crown land. Having said that .. it's still an assumption on my part that being private land would make any difference. Now where's the next video ....

Johnny G1
04-28-2008, 09:10 PM
First off I didn't mean to say I'd shoot a guys dog when he was using it for his style of hunting, what I meant it to mean was that I have seen packs of dogs chasing game mainly deer for their bloodlusting and taking them down or injuring them so bad they were dying, That is the type of dog shooting I was talking about, If your dog or hound is under control, fine I'll go along with that. Sorry about the misconception. Shooting a wolf or a coyote for the same thing seems to be justifilable to a lot of people. Just my thoughts.

moosinaround
04-28-2008, 09:23 PM
Holy Crap!!! That was a COOL VID!! What an adrenaline rush for the viewer! I could only imagine what it would be like on the ground!! Please post more!! Moosin

BlacktailStalker
04-28-2008, 10:27 PM
Good to see everyone "clarifying" what they meant and getting along lol
At the end of the day we're all supposed to be on the same side.

G1; Guys hammer the wolves and yotes because they're legally open in the regs ;)