PDA

View Full Version : for all you Sheep Hunters

newhunterette
04-22-2008, 02:19 PM
I was messaged a while back by someone - sorry I can't remember who, however the request was for recipes with wild sheep - sorry for the delay but as y'all may have noticed I am finally getting through papers and papers of recipes and sharing a few of my favourites.

Curried Bighorn Sheep
1 Tbsp peanut oil
2 Tbsp butter
4 lbs of bighorn sheep (cubed)
2 cups onion (finely chopped)
1 Tbsp wild garlic (chopped)
2 Tbsp fresh ginger
1 Tbsp curry powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp cardamom
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
1 cup chicken stock

Heat oil. Add cubed meat and stir until brown. Add onions, garlic and ginger - keep stirring. Add herbs, powder and half the yogurt and all the chicken stock. Boil stirring frequently, for 1 hour until meat is tender. Add remainder of yogurt. Serve with hot rice.

Big Horn Sheep Stew
vegetable oil
2 lbs. Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep, cut into 1 1/2" cubes
all purpose flour
2 small cloves garlic minced
1 6oz can tomato paste
2 1/4 cups (Coors) beer
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. beef bullion granules
1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 T sugar
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
3/4 tsp dried oregano
8-10 small boiling onions
6 carrots peeled and cut into chunks
6 stalks celery, cut into chunks
1/2 lb mushrooms halved
6 small potatoes peeled and cut into chunks

Heat 1/4" oil in large skillet. Dredge meat in flour and brown in hot oil. Transfer into large kettle Add remaining ingredients. Cook over low heat for 3 hours or until meat is tender.

scoot
04-22-2008, 06:55 PM
thanks, saved them and hope to try them out this fall!

Leaseman
04-22-2008, 07:24 PM
What I want to know is when is Alison going to open a restaurant....:wink:

newhunterette
04-22-2008, 08:01 PM
What I want to know is when is Alison going to open a restaurant....:wink:

I am in the works now of getting my papers in order - doing my foodsafe program and serve it right - I have an idea of what I would like to do with my cooking skills and hopefully share it with everyone.

I enjoy posting recipes for y'all as if my family enjoys what I make and my friends enjoy coming to dinner parties here - I can guess I am good at something

and if you're lucky enough to get a beautiful sheep - this is a couple ways to enjoy the harvest.

I will add to it as I get through more recipe cards I have collected.

srupp
05-09-2008, 12:42 AM
hmmm Ali do you have a recipe for "sheepless hunters" kraft dinner ala king and tube steak???

Steven

newhunterette
05-10-2008, 06:51 PM
hmmm Ali do you have a recipe for "sheepless hunters" kraft dinner ala king and tube steak???

Steven

well Steven alot depends in what you like "sheepless" - I have many recipes for the hunter who has to enjoy "tag soup" from the ever hidden "NIL" critter

or I could provide you with recipe for "wolf" after all they are only "sheep in a wolf's clothing"