PDA

View Full Version : illegal to sling rifle with ammunition in the magazine?

ChrisL
04-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Hi,

It's been many years since I took my Core course. I was recently told that it's illegal to carry your rifle on a sling if there is ammunition in the magazine. Either I've somehow forgotten this, or maybe the rules have changed in the last 20 some odd years? I can see the logic of not carrying one on the chamber on a sling, but not he magazine.

I've been unable to find this in the regs anywhere....

thanks,

Chris.

CanAm500
04-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Thats BS.

You can carry your loaded rifle anyway you want.

Gateholio
04-21-2008, 10:23 AM
If you are in an area that permits shooting (such as the woods, a range, gravel pit etc) you can legally have a loaded magazine, chambered round and the safety off..

If you are not in an area legal to shoot, (such as in town) you may not have the firearm loaded in any way.

Pretty simple.;-)

phoenix
04-21-2008, 10:24 AM
I think you can carry it any way you want once you are hunting. There's no laws on anything like that that I know of. I think the person who told you that is a little misinformed. Maybe if it was slung over your shoulder while you were riding a quad or something. That would probably be illegal.
Kim

Spuddge
04-21-2008, 10:32 AM
NOT Illegal!

rocksteady
04-21-2008, 11:06 AM
Not illegal if on foot.....

HOWEVER it is ILLEGAL if you are on a quad, motorcycle, in a motor vehicle or even on a bicycle....

Page 18 of the regs, bullet number 5..

Mr. Dean
04-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Load'er up!!

Just remember,,, be responsible and SAFE!

And NOT in or on a vehicle...

ChrisL
04-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Thanks everyone. That's exactly what I figured. Like I say, it's been more than 2 decades since I took the core course. I just wanted to make sure I hadn't forgotten something that was going to get me a fine....

Chris.

islandboy
04-21-2008, 12:26 PM
One in the chamber could be foolish though. A few years back my partner shot the tree beside me when he was adjusting his rifles position on his shoulder. I was walking only a few yards behind him. :eek: Not sure, but I think the tree survived.

ChrisL
04-21-2008, 01:29 PM
One in the chamber could be foolish though. A few years back my partner shot the tree beside me when he was adjusting his rifles position on his shoulder. I was walking only a few yards behind him. :eek: Not sure, but I think the tree survived.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of carrying with one in the chamber. If there is one in the chamber, it's because I plan on shooting in the next few seconds.

Chris.