PDA

View Full Version : Proud Young Turkey Hunter

huntwriter
04-20-2008, 10:01 AM
I was fortunate enough -again - to take part in a few youth turkey hunts south of the border where I do most of my turkey hunting.

This year I did not hunt turkeys, instead I guided a few young hunters on their first turkey hunt. Shane Slaymaker (photo) from Iowa stands out in memory. Ten year old Shane was so exited to go on his first turkey hunt that he talked about it all the way on the on hour drive. For a year his father and uncle coached him in safe firearm handling and turkey calling. By my arrival Shane gave me a sample of his calling talent and I have to say I was very impressed, so impressed that I suggested he take part in a youth turkey calling contest.

We arrived at our hunting destination and got ready to find Shane a nice tom. An hour into the hunt we found a roosted flock and set up nearby. Another half hour later I called a jake into the set up, more soft hen talk and the jake ended up right in front of Shane. On the signal of Shane’s father, he lifted his 20 gauge shotgun, pointed and pulled the trigger like an old pro. The jake went down and Shane got up ecstatic jumping up and down yelling, “I got him, I got him, Daddy I got him”.

I couldn’t help but getting a little emotional while I reflected on my first game harvest as a nine year old. For me taking out young and novice hunters on their first turkey hunts is every bit as exiting and satisfying as hunting for myself. The picture shows how happy Shane is. One day he will be a great turkey hunter, I am proud to have played a small part in getting him started on the right foot.

I am confident that next year I finally have time to take out young and novice hunters here in my own home province and introduce them to the joy of turkey hunting.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/huntwriter/OWOV/Shane2.jpg
A very happy young hunter.

tomahawk
04-20-2008, 10:05 AM
That's awesome!

mark
04-20-2008, 10:07 AM
Nice work HW, good to see the kid enjoying the sport, I also dragged my buddys 2 sons (10 and 17) around the mountain showed them many birds, called in 3 toms for their dad to miss! They too have the itch to get their licence now, and show the old man how to shoot!
HW, is that a different species of turkey, the color looks a little different???