Roasted Loin with Potatoes and Carrots
- Moose loin
- 1 head cabbage
- 10-12 lg. potatoes
- 10-12 carrots
- seasoned salt
- 1 pkg. bacon
- Fresh ground black pepper

Season loin with seasoned salt and black pepper. Wrap slices of bacon around loin until covered and sprinkle with black pepper. Cut cabbage into quarters. Place bacon wrapped loin in roaster pan and cover with cabbage wedges and add about 1 cup of water. Bake covered at 375 for about 1 hr or until cabbage starts to cook down. Remove cabbage. Add carrots and potatoes cover and cook for another hour until vegetables are done. Uncover for last 30 minutes of cooking time. You may need to add a little water from time to time during cooking time. Adjust cooking time to your preferance of doneness of meat.

enjoy :)

Sideofabarn
04-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Thanks Ali, looks great. I'll try it in the next couple of days.
Any idea one when you're doing the second printing of the HBC cookbook? I guess I wasn't paying attention when the first printing was available.

newhunterette
04-19-2008, 06:48 PM
Thanks Ali, looks great. I'll try it in the next couple of days.
Any idea one when you're doing the second printing of the HBC cookbook? I guess I wasn't paying attention when the first printing was available.

Toby, we had a 1st and 2nd printing already and I don't think Marc is going to have me print anymore but you can still get one from me. Just pm me and I'll give ya the details when ur ready.

I will also try and come up with a few other loin recipes to add here for ya. The one I put on here for ya was fast on the spot thinkin cause I had to get ready to go to Braydon's Hockey tournament.

Alison

newhunterette
04-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Roast Moose Strip Loin with Garlic-Herb Crust
4 garlic cloves
8 fresh sage leaves
4 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
4 tsp. olive oil
4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
8 strips of bacon (wrapped around roast) secure with string
1 (4 to 5-lb.) boneless moose strip loin roast

drop garlic into a food processor; blend until finely chopped. Add sage, thyme, oil, salt and pepper; process until paste forms.

Pat meat dry with paper towels. Rub meat all over with herb paste. Cover; chill at least 3 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.)

Preheat oven to 450°F.

Place meat, bacon side up, in roasting pan. Roast meat 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Roast meat to your taste (rare, med.rare, well done.)

Remove from oven; let stand 20 minutes.
Cut crosswise into 1/3-in. thick slices. Arrange slices on platter.

enjoy :)

newhunterette
04-21-2008, 06:54 AM
other ideas for seasoning up the strip loin.

Spread a whole trimmed strip loin with a paste of oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and chopped herbs and allow it to come to room temperature.

You can try adding these ideas for a different flavour:
Cognac, coriander seed, mushrooms, red wine, rosemary, shallots, thyme, truffles, wood smoke.

Sideofabarn
04-21-2008, 08:20 AM
He he he, I was just thinking, Ali, can I hire you as my personal culinary consultant? Thank you so much for all the recipe suggestions. To try all these out, I'll have to be hunting hard this fall.

newhunterette
04-21-2008, 08:42 AM
He he he, I was just thinking, Ali, can I hire you as my personal culinary consultant? Thank you so much for all the recipe suggestions. To try all these out, I'll have to be hunting hard this fall.

Toby,
when I come to PG I will bring you a copy of the HBC cookbook - and as for being your consultant - if you have a special request - I will always help with giving my ideas :)