PDA

View Full Version : Bull frogs

Jager
06-10-2005, 10:05 PM
I don't know if bull frogs should be classified as small game or varmints but here goes......has anyone had the fortitude to try frogs legs? I noticed an abundant population in a local pond and got to thinking how much of a nusiance this introduced species has become. I recall that they are either a scheduel B or C animal in the hunting regs and thought they might provide some off season target practice with the BB/pellet gun. Maybe a good way to spend an evening with the 'boys'. The next step would be to cook some up "IF" I could work up the nerve. Do you think they'd "taste like chicken"? Let's hear some comments.

Fred
06-10-2005, 10:39 PM
Whole bunches of years ago we waited for the eyes to show above water then put a 22 calibre pellet between them. That was only the Leopard frogs though and we never tried to recover any of them.:wink: Fred

Rod
06-10-2005, 10:57 PM
Fly rod with a chunk of red yarn put plenty in the pot when I was a kid, cut the legs off and fry in "real" butter. Don't overcook and they are fantastic!!!

Jager
06-10-2005, 11:46 PM
Rod
I like the fly rod idea.....just yarn, no hook?
How did you prep them for the pot?

Fred
06-11-2005, 08:39 AM
Same questions as Jager! Come on now, you have us curious!:grin: Fred

Rod
06-11-2005, 10:16 AM
use a hook and enough yarn to flutter around and attract some attention but short enough to ensure they take the hook.

kill the beast and cut the back legs off as close to the body as possible, once fried the skin can be pealed off pretty easily.

It takes a good bunch of frogs for a meal but the effort is well worth it.

I worked on a farm in my late teens and as my employer was a non-hunter the fields were loaded with groundhogs. I carried a 22rf on the tractor and got a ton of shooting practice over the summer.

I offered to make a wild "non"game meal for the farmer and a neighbour and they halfheartedly agreed.

After a couple of days of gathering the goodies we sat down to a meal of groundhog stew, roast pigeon, steamed crafish and a big pile of frogs legs. Not one scrap was left at the end of the meal and both farms were opened to hunting that fall.

Cheers
Rod

Schutzen
06-11-2005, 11:25 AM
Our local club has a bullfrog hunt that happens once a year.
Its done at nite with frog gigs and headlamps mostly.
One couple got like 30 bullfrogs last year.
They have alot of fun doing it.

Gateholio
06-11-2005, 03:25 PM
Rod

Glad to see someone else likes frogs legs!:-)

Once they are cut off the frog, just peel off the skin.

Then you can fry them, or do as the French do, sautee them in butter, add chopped garlic, onion, cook a bit and add some chopped tomaotoes and herbs.

I ile the m both ways.

There are probably 10000 different recipoes for them!:grin:

I've nver had bullforg legs, though. Are they tough?

Jager
06-12-2005, 10:09 AM
Well, I guess I'm going to have to go out and get a couple....
I just read in a local rag that there is a woman that does frog control in the area then sells the frogs to the college for disecting purposes. There was a picture of her holding a 2lb. bull frog!!

monstermuley
06-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Man, as good as they might be, for some reason I think I would have a hard time eating one, not to sure why, just the thought of it maybe. After a few beers I might be able to. I would deffinatly want someone who cooks and eats them regularily to cook them for me so I knew it was done right for the first time.

Tarp Man
06-12-2005, 01:20 PM
Jager, I had a cat onec that loved frogs. She would eat the legs and leave the bodies lying all over the place. I was young, and foolish, and thought maybe she was on to something! I tried them raw (NOT VERY GOOD) and then tried them in butter with S&P. VERY GOOD! The only trick is to avoid the ones with the poisonous glands on their skin.
-Tarp Man

geologist
06-13-2005, 11:26 PM
We used to throw a spinner with a treble hook behind the frog, then slowly reel in the line till the lure was behind the frog. A quick tug and they were gaffed and in the basket.

Doesn't sound very sporting now but this was the 1960's.

Or just plug em with a .22 if it's legal.

Frog legs skinned. Marinate overnight in refrigerator in soy sauce, freshly minced ginger, salt/pepper and white wine.

Next day cook some rice, as the water level drops to close to the surface of the rice, pour in the frogs legs and marinade. Cover rice pot with lid, lower heat and complete cooking of rice as usual.

TinMan
09-03-2005, 12:23 AM
Maybe u folks have alot of frogs in your area but unfortunatly frog populations are on the decline. Scientist believe it has to do with global warming or other enviromental/human factors. They a good indication of whats going on in the world + they eat alot of mosquitos and harmful bugs.

Amphibious
09-03-2005, 08:49 AM
Bull frogs are an invasive species. please shot every one you see wether you're going to eat it or not. they don;t belong on this side of the rockys.

.22 shorts (hollow points if you can find them) work great. if you;re only eating the legs just aim for dead center.

Buck-Fever
02-14-2013, 07:46 PM
A bb gun or a pellet gun doesn't work (tryed it) Iv used a fishing rod, bow, .22 and a homemade gig those all work except for the bb gun

lip_ripper00
02-14-2013, 07:48 PM
WOW last post was 8 years ago..... new record?

Foxton Gundogs
02-14-2013, 08:33 PM
A red rubber "bolo bat" ball works good they grab the ball and wont let gi pull them in flip them into a cooler with some water in it. Prepare as previous posts I've eaten hundereds great for a "shore lunch" with fried spuds and beans MMMMM

new hunter
02-14-2013, 08:42 PM
I've always wanted to try bow-fishing , but There arent any carp or other invasive fish up here (that I know of ).
I think it would be a riot to try popping bull frogs with a fishing arrow and a line .
could probably get away with a light poundage bow , and I imagine it'd be great practice for arrowing other small game .

Mr. Dean
02-15-2013, 03:54 AM
WOW last post was 8 years ago..... new record?

Some people just like hearing themselves talk.

And the OP never did get his question answered -----------------------------> Yes, they do taste like chicken.

hunterdon
02-15-2013, 09:09 AM
We used to catch them literally by the hundreds when I was young. One summer we filled half a large freezer with nothing but bull frog legs. We would catch them by hand, hit them over the head with an oar, to knock them out or finally we graduated to catching them with rod and hook with nothing but a red piece of yard on the hook. That works the best. Just dangle the hook about 1 or 2 inches in front of them and they will go for it every time.

Our favorite method of cooking was to fry them in butter with a touch of salt and pepper. If you ever get the chance to eat them, you'll wonder what took you so long. And yes, very tender, as in fall off the bone tender. They taste like premium chicken, and I mean PREMIUM. Some people also used the front legs, although we never did. A bit more work for a small amount of meat, but just as tasty.

I would definitely not recommend using a 22 rifle as some mentioned. A 22 caliber bullet will easily ricochet over water. In many provinces it is illegal to shoot a rifle over water, and I believe it is illegal in BC. If not, it should be. Shot is allowed over water. To my knowledge, in BC, you can only shoot an animal in the water with a rifle if it is already wounded. But, I stand to be corrected if wrong.

Island Idiots
02-15-2013, 09:21 AM
How to clean frog legs:
take a foot long piece of straight rod such as coat hanger.
Bend 2 inches of wire at 90.
Invert frog belly up. Drive 2 inch piece through the belly just
above where the legs join the body, until it protrudes thru
the back. Pull rod one way and body the other.
U now have skinned frog legs on one side and the rest oof the frog
on the other.

Krico
02-15-2013, 09:57 AM
Well if there were bullfrogs up here I'd definitely give it a go! My kids would have a blast helping catch them (they love catching giant earthworms at night with their headlamps), and I wouldn't think twice about trying them out for dinner.

SeaScene
02-15-2013, 10:20 AM
The Kawartha Lakes Ontario, my grandfather would pay bro and myself for frog legs which he considered a delicacy. Fried up in butter they are delicious. A marinade would be a good way to start out as they are just a bit chewy. We hunted them with a 177 cal pellet gun. A hit from behind in the head between and just behind the eyes was always a sure kill and stretched them out in the process. Take the legs off and the skin peels off like a pair of pants.

Foxton Gundogs
02-15-2013, 10:35 AM
Some people just like hearing themselves talk.

And the OP never did get his question answered -----------------------------> Yes, they do taste like chicken.

IMO Chicken tastes like chicken Frog tastes like frog, both good(frog better lol) but in theire own way.

Bfortune1000
11-04-2013, 04:30 PM
I like em, they don't taste like chicken id say