PDA

View Full Version : for those Lucky Elk harvesters - some more recipes

newhunterette
04-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Now I have never had the opportunity to harvest and Elk and Peter just had his first season trying to, so these recipes have been given to me by my generous friends who have been kind enough to trade Elk for Moose :). I have modified the recipes just a smidge because I find certain things add more flavours. Like I say my family is always my guinea pigs first.

Elk Roast in Gin
1 Elk Roast
Marinade:
1 med Onion
1 Tbsp Salt
5 Peppercorns
2 clove Garlic
1 med Carrot, sliced
2 Stalks celery, sliced
1 cup Cider Vinegar, mild
1 cup Beef bullion
1 cup Gin

Combine all ingredients except Gin. Boil about 5 minutes, remove from flame, add gin and cool. Place roast in marinade to cover. Let stand in refrigerator for 12 or more hours. Remove from marinade and place on roasting rack in preheated 250 degree F. oven with blanket of thick sliced bacon for 2 1/2 -3 hours. Remove bacon for the last 30 minutes of cooking and baste roast with pan drippings.

Elk and Kraut
3 spuds, diced
1 1/2 lb Elk Burger
1 c Water
2 ts Salt
1 ts Pepper
1 Egg, beaten
2 tb Catsup, Chili Sauce, or Barbecue Sauce
1 Jar sauerkraut, drained or if you are one who makes ur own 3c
1 cup croutons
1 Chopped onions
2 tb Brown sugar

Heat oil in a 12 in. Dutch oven. Add all the ingredients and stir once. Put on the lid and don't peek for 1 1/2 hours. If cooking over a campfire, be careful not to put too many coals under the oven or it will stick. When done, remove from heat, add thin slices of cheese and let sit with the lid on for one more minute. Then enjoy.

Elk/Deer Spanish Pot Roast
3 lb Pot roast of Elk or Deer
11 Sliced stuffed olives
1/4 lb thick bacon
1 Medium onion, sliced
3 tb Margarine or butter
2 c Canned tomatoes
1 ts Salt
1/4 ts Pepper
1 ts Sugar

Cut small pockets along sides of the roast with a sharp knife. Fill these pockets with sliced olives and bacon which has been cut into small strips. Brown onions slices in margarine or butter. Remove onions and blown roast in hot fat. Add canned tomatoes, salt, pepper, sugar and browned onion. Cover and simmer until meat is tender - about 3 to 4 hours. Thicken liquid for gravy.