3 lb Moose round steak
1 Stick butter
1 lb Ground venison
Salt and pepper to taste
1 lg Onion, chopped
1 c Water
2 tb Pine nuts
1/2 c Burgundy

Melt 1/2 stick butter in large heavy skillet at low heat. Brown onion, adding ground venison and pine nuts. Lay steak on floured board. Spread ground meat mixture on round steak and roll up as a jelly roll. Tie with butcher string. Melt remaining butter and brown steak on all sides. Add water and burgundy. Cover and steam until tender. approx. 20-30 minutes longer for larger cuts of flank.

Moose Roast with Cranberry Gravy
4 lb Moose Roast
3 strips thick sliced bacon
1 ts Salt
1/4 ts Black pepper
1/2 ts Ground cinnamon
1/4 ts Ground cloves
1 ts Dry mustard
4 tb Brown sugar
2 1/2 c Water
1/2 c White wine vinegar
2 tb Onion flakes
3 tb Flour
1 c Cranberry juice
1 c Milk

Remove all fat from the moose roast and wipe well with a clean damp cloth. Lard the roast as follows: Cut bacon into 1/4 inch strips and chill thoroughly. Pierce the moose roast with a sharp knife or skewer at 2-inch intervals and insert the chilled strips of bacon. Place the roast in a glass, earthenware or porcelain bowl. Mix the salt, pepper, cinnamon, cloves, mustard and brown sugar with the water and vinegar and pour over the moose ( 3 cups of sweet pickle juice may be used in place of the brown sugar, water and vinegar if desired. ) Marinate the roast for 24 to 48 hours, turning it over frequently if the liquid does not completely cover it. Remove the roast from the marinade and place it in a covered roaster in a 350 degree oven for approximately one hour. Add onion flakes and cranberry juice and continue roasting until tender. ( about one hour ). Transfer meat to a hot platter. Add flour to the pan drippings and stir until the flour has absorbed the fat. Add the milk, stirring constantly, until gravy is desired thickness. Serve hot with the roast.

Moose Pie
1 1/2 lb Moose steak, cubed
1/3 - 1/2 c. flour
1 md Onion, chopped
1 Clove minced garlic
3 tb Oil
2 c Water
2 tb Worcestershire sauce
1 ts Marjoram
1 ts Thyme
1 ts Celery seed
1 ts Salt
1/2 ts Pepper
1 Bay leaf
Diced potatoes & carrots
Frozen peas or green beans
Pie crust

Shake cubed steak in plastic bag with flour, a few cubes at a time. Brown moose and onions and garlic in heated oil, until Moose is brown. Add water, herbs, Worcestershire sauce, salt and peppers. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer 1 1/2 hours. Add potatoes and carrots, cook approximately 30 to 45 minutes longer. Add peas. Pour into pie pan. Cover with pie crust, flute edge, cut slits in top. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until crust is nicely browned.

enjoy
Alison

Leaseman
04-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Can't figure out why Peter is not a huge man with all these recipes of yours.....

Ask SRUPP about his recipe "poached sturgeon"....:razz:

MB_Boy
04-16-2008, 12:37 PM
This thread is useless without pictures or "tastings" for the entire membership.

:-P

newhunterette
04-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Can't figure out why Peter is not a huge man with all these recipes of yours.....

Ask SRUPP about his recipe "poached sturgeon"....:razz:

Peter works hard and his metabolism eats up calories - he has always been able to eat lots - just as he has gotten older he is starting to notice his 6 pack becoming a Keg hehehehe not my fault at all

and I don't think I would want to be privy to a "poached sturgeon" considering they are catch and release - you brat

[quote=MB_Boy;273726]This thread is useless without pictures or "tastings" for the entire membership.

I always get in trouble when I post pics of food, however,

I do have pics of tonights yummy moose steaks for the bbq - and for some reason 8 were taken out of the freezer and I only need 5 - anyone want to come for dinner :)?
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/food/DSC_0037.jpg

BBQ Moose Steaks
8 steaks
little dash of salt and pepper to season
little sprinkle of garlic powder or chopped garlic rubbed

let meat rest with seasonings

start BBQ - fix vegies (any kind you like)
saute' some mushrooms
baby potatoes garnished with brown butter

nice bottle of your favourite red wine

2slow
04-16-2008, 05:37 PM
another fine looking recipe. Oh and like the cookbooks can you just mail me your left overs 8) just kidding

ps. as a side note you could probably make a fortune off of us local hunters by putting together some premade hunt meals Kind of a bushcamp catering business

newhunterette
04-16-2008, 07:15 PM
[quote=2slow;273829]another fine looking recipe. Oh and like the cookbooks can you just mail me your left overs 8) just kidding

thank you and thank you

oh gracious me - there was no left overs tonight - I don't believe it

5 people - 8 steaks - my son ate 4 steaks - good gracious - he just turned 16 , 6'1, 170 lbs and has discovered he can eat -I must have did something right with dinner tonight

and y'all thought it was Peter chowing down heheheheheh