PDA

View Full Version : A Grouse Recipe to impress any anti-hunter

newhunterette
04-14-2008, 02:08 PM
mixing BC wilderness with fine dining:

Alder Cone Smoked Grouse with Fern Root Glaze and Salal Sauce 2 tb Licorice fern root
2 tb Gewurztraminer icewine
3/4 c Water
3 c Dried alder cones
2 Wild grouse breasts, bone in and skinless

Juniper & Salal Berry Sauce:
1 1/3 c Water
1 1/2 c B.C. Pinot Blanc wine
3 1/2 c Salal Berries
1 1/2 tb Maple syrup
1 1/2 tb Black peppercorns
8 Juniper berries
1 1/2 tb Balsamic vinegar

In a small covered sauce pan, gently simmer fern root in icewine and water for 20 min. Pour into a glass jar, seal and let stand at room temp for 12 hours. Strain into a small saucepan and boil, uncovered, on high until reduced to a thick syrup. Set aside.
Heat alder cones in a large aluminum foil lined sauce pan over high heat until they smoulder. Reduce heat to low; place grouse breasts directly on top of the smouldering cones. Lightly brush the breasts with the fern root glaze; cover pan tightly. Smoke breasts for 3 hours or until cooked but not dry. Remove the meat from the bone and serve with Juniper-Salal Berry Sauce.
For the sauce: Pour 1 cup water and the wine into the bottom of a perforated double boiler. Place the salal berries in the top section. Cover; simmer gently for two hours. Gently press berries with a rubber spatula to extract remaining juice. Discard berries; reserving syrup in the bottom of the double boiler. To the salal syrup, add the maple syrup, peppercorns, juniper berries, remaining water and balsamic vinegar. Bring to the boil and immediately remove from the heat; let stand an hour before returning to the heat. Cook, uncovered, until slightly thickened. Refrigerate until needed

Wolfman
04-14-2008, 02:45 PM
That looks de-lish, Ali.

I'll have to try that out next time I get some chickens ;-)

Wolfman

sealevel
04-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Juniper berries!! Ally Have you actually tried this ??

newhunterette
04-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Juniper berries!! Ally Have you actually tried this ??

yes I have tried this - I would not post a recipe I havent tested :) -
I get juniper berries from the health food stores in Aldergrove - I uses them quite often in recipes :) especially when cooking with smoke :)

Thunderstix
04-14-2008, 03:59 PM
That is one expensive recipe!!!!!! Icewine$$$$$??!! Can I just freeze some wine I already have??:razz:

newhunterette
04-14-2008, 04:03 PM
That is one expensive recipe!!!!!! Icewine$$$$$??!! Can I just freeze some wine I already have??:razz:

When trying to turn an anti-hunter's palette towards at least trying wild game - a little expense is worth it :)

David Heitsman
04-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Alder cones, Juniper berries, Ice wine reduction, Bouble boilers!
I thought my camp culinary treats leaned towards gourmet but...
Guess I'll have to kick it up a notch.

newhunterette
04-14-2008, 08:40 PM
Alder cones, Juniper berries, Ice wine reduction, Bouble boilers!
I thought my camp culinary treats leaned towards gourmet but...
Guess I'll have to kick it up a notch.

okay okay I can take a hint - I guess y'all weren't ready for this recipe - I will post an easier grouse recipe for you

hehehehehehe :wink:

sealevel
04-14-2008, 08:42 PM
How about a fool hen roasted over a balsum fire.

newhunterette
04-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Grouse Supreme
3 Grouse
1/2 c Flour
2 tb Parsley, dried
2 tb Paprika
2 tb Ginger, ground
1 tb Dry mustard
1/2 c Coarse black pepper
4 tb Walnut oil
4 tb Margarine
1/2 c Honey
2 tb Worcestershire sauce
3/4 c Madeira wine

Split birds in half. Season flour with 1 tablespoon parsley, 1 tablespoon ginger, 1 tablespoon paprika, 1 tablespoon dry mustard and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Roll dry birds in seasoned flour, shaking off excess. Heat walnut oil and lightly brown each bird. Remove birds and set aside. Strain walnut oil remaining in first pan and pour into separate sauce pan.
Add margarine. Melt over low heat. Add honey and dissolve. Stir in 1 tablespoon parsley, 1 tablespoon ginger and 1 tablespoon paprika. Add Worcestershire sauce. Stir for 2 minutes, add Madeira. Continue to stir until near boiling point. Add seasoned flour to thicken as you like it. Do not let sauce boil. Turn birds breast down in roasting pan. Pour sauce over and cook at 350F for 25 minutes. Remove, turn birds breast up. Place back in oven for another 10 minutes at 300F or until brown.

Gateholio
04-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Juniper berries are used pretty often in many European game recipes. Good in Tomato soup, too...

Of course thier most famous culinary use- Flavouring gin.:wink:

newhunterette
04-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Juniper berries are used pretty often in many European game recipes. Good in Tomato soup, too...

Of course thier most famous culinary use- Flavouring gin.:wink:

Thank you Clarke - I knew you would know about them :) for food uses hehehehe

moosinaround
04-14-2008, 09:15 PM
I donot see pork and beans with any of these recipes? Or beer? Moosin;-)

Leaseman
04-15-2008, 07:35 AM
How about butter, salt and pepper.....:wink:

I like my grouse sliced 1/4 inch thick, hot buttered pan and done!