PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand goat cull video

willyqbc
04-13-2008, 05:15 PM
Here's the link to part one of tank and his dad's trip to new zealand!!
http://www.realoutdoorproductions.com/2008vids/Goat1/goat1.html

just as a warning....lots of critters die in this video!!! There will be more clips coming as I get them edited including some awesome long range shooting. When I get to it there will also be some fallow deer and a red stag hunt!!

Enjoy!
Chris

RiverOtter
04-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Too cool.

What would a cull hunt like that go for, flights included?

RO

Dannybuoy
04-13-2008, 08:13 PM
I dunno , I didnt/couldnt even watch the whole thing , it kinda bothers me when guys try to shoot past their or their rifles ability . Geez if you cant make the shot get closer !:eek: clowns

willyqbc
04-13-2008, 09:18 PM
Danny, I realize it may look like some poor marksmanship in some segments but you have to realize that there are 3 guys shooting and the gunshots you hear do not neccesarily correspond to the particular goat you see on the screen, the camera man had to try and anticipate which goats were being shot at so sometimes there are lots of shot on the tape with few goats tipping over, in almost all cases when the shooter calls which goat he is shooting, you will see that goat taken pretty cleanly. They took out approx 180 goats in 2 days, i can assure you they weren't missing much. In clips I will post later when I get them edited, you will see these guys take down goats at 400-500 yards and even one taken at 536 yards.

Just trying to clarify a bit
Chris

happygilmore
04-13-2008, 09:25 PM
one shot, for a domestic goat should be plenty? I guess those boys should have hit the range a little more...would be a fun trip.

Dannybuoy
04-13-2008, 10:17 PM
Point taken Willy , I would have to agree that things arent always as they might appear on video and I might have been a bit quick to judge !

Elkhound
04-13-2008, 11:20 PM
Tell the boys thanks for the clips and thanks for posting. I will move this to out of province hunts though.

Looks like a lot of ammo will be needed. Nice shooting

todbartell
04-13-2008, 11:44 PM
looks like a good trip, nice country

Tank
04-14-2008, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. We had a great trip, and learned alot. We were a bit shell-shocked when the details of the cull that we were invited on were explained to us as well....but here is a bit of what we learned....

North American sensibilities (our own included!) would have us stalk through several groups of goats until we could get a crack at a large billy...and then we would take trophy photos and talk about the great hunt:D. However, we quickly learned that actions like that would get us banned from the property as we have now educated more goats then we shot making it more difficult for the next group of shooters to take down numbers.

This particular ranch has groups of shooters comming in several times a month shooting big numbers of goats and they still can't get the population under control (no predators and no winter in NZ = 0% die off). The farm manager mentioned that they may call in for a helicopter and have goats shot from the air to try and bring down the numbers. He would not have been impressed that a potential shooter was spending much of his time filming rather than shooting;)

What a difference from what we are used to doing here in Canada...where I may only fire 2 rounds this year and still have a wildly successful season! This cull is definitley not for everyone.....but it is what it is, and for those interested in having a look Chris was nice enough to edit it up and post it up. Thanks again!

Stone Sheep Steve
04-14-2008, 06:25 AM
Thanks for the looksee:smile:!

Getting the kind of shooting practice is hard to come by.

If anyone has a problem with culling these guys, just think of them as big destructive gophers:smile:.

So when you left Canada customs didn't question your intentions when you had 1000 rounds of ammo each????:tongue:

I know NZ customs would not ask any questions:|.

SSS

calvin L
04-14-2008, 07:08 AM
Great time had by all it looks like . I have hunted with a keewee and he has shown me some video of the damage the goats cause it is hard to beleeve that they can eat so much . congrats on the hunt waiting for the new video.

calvin L

longwalk
04-14-2008, 07:23 AM
I for one enjoyed the video. Goats, like wild pigs are destructive animals. Any idea what they did with the carcasses?.

Tank
04-14-2008, 12:32 PM
Most airlines limit a passenger to 5kg's of ammo (about 150 30-06 rnds).
Our flights cost us about $2000 from Prince George and back...flying direct out of Vancouver to Auckland. This route is highly recomended vrs connecting through LA as it saves time, and most importantly, US customs! After that, the cull hunting is free. No tags, no licenses, no seasons, no limits. This goes for all big game species in NZ. All you need is a local connection to get you onto a ranch cull or point you towards a productive piece of crown land.

With all the culling on this ranch we expected to see many more carcasses scattered about from previous groups...but this was actually quite rare. We were told that the feral pigs come out of the bush at night to tidy up.

KodiakHntr
04-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Oh sign me up!

You in RO?

RiverOtter
04-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Hell Yah!

Sittin on a beach in Mexico, don't even rate a mention, compared to the fun that could be had smashin ferel goats.

RO

KodiakHntr
04-14-2008, 08:18 PM
Well, lets not get carried away now...Beaches have their perks too.....

HOWever, goat killin' looks to be a whole lotta fun, for the same amount of $$$.

RiverOtter
04-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Well, lets not get carried away now...Beaches have their perks too.....

Could be a pun there.........grin

I don't mind the attractions, its the darn heat I can't like.

RO

steel_ram
04-17-2008, 12:34 PM
What cartridges where used? Are goats tough?

Looks like a lot of fun and incredible practise. I suspect a lungshot goat is like anything else, may or may not run a few yards before keeling over.

willyqbc
04-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Tank was using a 30.06 with 168 grn barnes triple shock's
His dad was using A 7mm mag with 150 grain triple shocks
The Kiwi's were using 243, 7mm, shotgun and others and seem to prefer grenade style bullets like V-max's

From the footage i have seen I can say these little critters seem to be tough as nails. There is one peice of footage in particular where Tank double lungs a big billy and it goes straight up hill...and i do mean straight up for about 200 yards dumping more blood than I would have thought could fit in one of these little guys before finally crawling out on a ledge to die!!

Chris