PDA

View Full Version : a recipe for Rishu Pepper

newhunterette
04-12-2008, 08:52 AM
Prairie Wolf (Also known as Coyote) Stew

As food for man, the Prairie Wolf has not been extensively used, but in time of famine Natives and early settlers used its meat. The meat is sweet and tasty if prepared in the right way. Generally all that is used is the two back legs as there is not much meat on the rest of the animal.

2 pounds prairie wolf meat
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup wild onions, chopped
3 quarts water
2 cups potatoes, diced
1/2 cup bacon, diced
2 cups Lima beans
1/4 teaspoons cayenne
2 cups fresh corn
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup fine dry bannock or flour
2 teaspoons salt
4 tablespoons butter

Wash and clean the meat. Cut into serving pieces. Place the meat in a large pot, add the water, bring to a boil and then simmer for 2 hours, or until the meat is tender. Skim the surface often and discard the scum.(sounds yummy already)

Remove from heat and cool. Lift the meat out of the pot, separate bones from meat and cut meat into small pieces; returning it to the strained juices in the pot. Add the bacon, cayenne, sugar, salt, pepper, onions, potatoes and Lima beans. Put the pot back on the stove and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for one hour. Add the corn and cook
for 15 minutes more. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter a three-quart fireproof casserole dish and add the stew meat to the casserole. Melt the butter in a small pan, add the bannock crumbs to the butter, and mix well.

Sprinkle the buttered bannock crumbs on top of the stew and bake in the oven until the crumbs are golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve directly from the casserole with red current jelly or whole cranberries.

tomahawk
04-12-2008, 09:16 AM
I have harvested wolf and believe me that is the only animal I would never consider eating. I gag several times while caping the animal. Not for this cowboy that's for sure.