4 lb Moose rump roast
2 Cloves garlic
2 c Water
1 pk Onion soup mix
Salt
Pepper
2 tb Cornstarch
2 Beef bouillon cubes

Use a large slow cooker on high temperature setting. Dice onions and carrots and put in slow cooker. Add moose roast. Slice garlic in small pieces. Add water, garlic and onion soup. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook for 4 hours.
Drain juice from meat into saucepan. Add bouillon cubes. Bring juice to boil. Add cornstarch and stir until juice turns thick and clear.
Pour gravy (juice) back into the slow cooker with the moose and carrots/onions. Cook for another hour. When done, slice moose in thin slices. Place in center of serving platter, garnish with carrots and onions. Pour a small amount of gravy over moose and serve. Mashed potatoes, rice or baked potatoes are fantastic with the remaining gravy.

Venison Sauerbraten
3-4 lb venison chuck roast
2 Sliced onions
2 Bay leaves
12 Peppercorns
12 Juniper berries (if desired)
6 Whole cloves
1 1/2 c Red wine vinegar
1 c Boiling water
2 ts Salt
2 tb Shortening
12 Gingersnaps, crushed (3/4 c)
2 ts Sugar

Place venison roast in a glass or earthenware bowl or baking dish with onions, bay leaves, peppercorns, berries, cloves, vinegar, boiling water, and salt. Cover tightly and refrigerate, turning venison twice a day for at least 3 days. Never pierce the meat when turning.
Remove venison from marinade and reserve the marinade. Cook venison in the shortening in a heavy skillet until brown on all sides. Add the marinade mixture. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until venison is tender, 3 to 3 1/2 hrs. (slow cooker on high all day. . . . works) Remove venison and onions from skillet and keep warm. Strain and measure liquid in skillet. Add enough water to liquid to measure 2 1/2 cups. Pour liquid into skillet. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Stir gingersnaps and sugar into liquid. Cover and simmer 3 minutes. Serve venison with onions and gravy.

Burgundy Venison
2 pounds venison -- cut like stew meat
1/2 cup Burgundy wine
1 small can mushrooms
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 package dry onion soup mix
Put in slow cooker and mix until well blended. Cook all day. This is also good without the wine.

Rabbit In Blue Cheese and Mustard Sauce
1 rabbit (2 1/2 - 3 lbs), cut up
Freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 tsp dry thyme
1 1/2 tsp dry savory
1 dry bay leaf
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
3 Tbsp dry white wine
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/3 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese

Rinse rabbit and pat dry; then arrange, overlapping pieces slightly, in a 4 qt or larger electric slow cooker. Sprinkle with pepper, thyme, and savory; insert bay leaf between two rabbit pieces. Mix mustard and wine; pour over rabbit. Cover and cook at low setting until meat in thickest part is very tender when pierced (6 1/2 - 8 1/2 hours). Carefully lift rabbit to warm serving dish; keep warm. Mix cornstarch and cream; blend into cooking liquid. Increase cooker heat setting to high; cover and cook, stirring 2 or 3 time, until sauce is thickened (about 10 more minutes). Add 1/4 cup of the cheese, cover, and let stand for 3 to 5 minutes; stir until cheese is melted. Pour sauce over rabbit; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of cheese.

larry56b
04-11-2008, 03:47 PM
I've always loved the slow cooker for wild game.Cooked many moose roast just like your recipe.It's well done but super tender.I like your venison recipe and will try it very soon. Half the fun of hunting is shooting it, the other half is cooking it.......larry

308Lover
04-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Help! Help! Help! Quit posting these recipes! I got so hungry I ate half a raw cabbage! My mom said I would get a stomach ache (age 9), but so far so good!

newhunterette
04-11-2008, 04:17 PM
I've always loved the slow cooker for wild game.Cooked many moose roast just like your recipe.It's well done but super tender.I like your venison recipe and will try it very soon. Half the fun of hunting is shooting it, the other half is cooking it.......larry

:) Larry
I have a few more for the slowcooker and dutch oven cooking - I am sorting through my recipes now that the HBC cookbook has been completed

Enjoy
Alison:smile:

Leaseman
04-12-2008, 05:40 AM
great recipes Alison.... wil have to try them soon....8-)

oldtimer
04-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Mike's crock pot stew.

2 lbs venison stew meat floured and browned with flour, salt, pepper , garlic,and hy's seasoning
5 to 8 medium carrots chopped large
1 1/2 medium onion chunked
1 large green pepper, sliced
8 to 10 large mushrooms. I prefer crossini ? mushrooms
1 28 oz can chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp liquid oxo
1 tbsp worcesteshire sauce
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp liquid smoke ( key ingredient )
1 tsp sugar

mix her all together and cook 2 hrs on high then 4 on low. serve with fresh bread or buns. MMMM Mike

newhunterette
04-15-2008, 04:59 PM
All Day Rebel Venison Stew
2 lb Venison
1 ts Coarsely ground pepper
2 lg Potatoes, diced
1 cn Tomato sauce
4 Carrots, diced
3 tb Chunky peanut butter
1 c Red table wine
2 ts Soy sauce
2 md Onions, chopped
1 Beef broth to cover
2 Bay leaves
1 Clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 ts Salt
1 ts Thyme
Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours and 15 minutes. Serve with cornbread.

steelhead68
10-22-2008, 04:07 PM
Fall Apart Moose
2 Onions; medium
1 lb sweet carrots
4 lb Moose rump roast
2 Cloves garlic
2 c Water
1 pk Onion soup mix
Salt
Pepper
2 tb Cornstarch
2 Beef bouillon cubes

Use a large slow cooker on high temperature setting. Dice onions and carrots and put in slow cooker. Add moose roast. Slice garlic in small pieces. Add water, garlic and onion soup. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook for 4 hours.
Drain juice from meat into saucepan. Add bouillon cubes. Bring juice to boil. Add cornstarch and stir until juice turns thick and clear.
Pour gravy (juice) back into the slow cooker with the moose and carrots/onions. Cook for another hour. When done, slice moose in thin slices. Place in center of serving platter, garnish with carrots and onions. Pour a small amount of gravy over moose and serve. Mashed potatoes, rice or baked potatoes are fantastic with the remaining gravy.

Venison Sauerbraten
3-4 lb venison chuck roast
2 Sliced onions
2 Bay leaves
12 Peppercorns
12 Juniper berries (if desired)
6 Whole cloves
1 1/2 c Red wine vinegar
1 c Boiling water
2 ts Salt
2 tb Shortening
12 Gingersnaps, crushed (3/4 c)
2 ts Sugar

Place venison roast in a glass or earthenware bowl or baking dish with onions, bay leaves, peppercorns, berries, cloves, vinegar, boiling water, and salt. Cover tightly and refrigerate, turning venison twice a day for at least 3 days. Never pierce the meat when turning.
Remove venison from marinade and reserve the marinade. Cook venison in the shortening in a heavy skillet until brown on all sides. Add the marinade mixture. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until venison is tender, 3 to 3 1/2 hrs. (slow cooker on high all day. . . . works) Remove venison and onions from skillet and keep warm. Strain and measure liquid in skillet. Add enough water to liquid to measure 2 1/2 cups. Pour liquid into skillet. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Stir gingersnaps and sugar into liquid. Cover and simmer 3 minutes. Serve venison with onions and gravy.

Burgundy Venison
2 pounds venison -- cut like stew meat
1/2 cup Burgundy wine
1 small can mushrooms
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 package dry onion soup mix
Put in slow cooker and mix until well blended. Cook all day. This is also good without the wine.

Rabbit In Blue Cheese and Mustard Sauce
1 rabbit (2 1/2 - 3 lbs), cut up
Freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 tsp dry thyme
1 1/2 tsp dry savory
1 dry bay leaf
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
3 Tbsp dry white wine
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/3 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese

Rinse rabbit and pat dry; then arrange, overlapping pieces slightly, in a 4 qt or larger electric slow cooker. Sprinkle with pepper, thyme, and savory; insert bay leaf between two rabbit pieces. Mix mustard and wine; pour over rabbit. Cover and cook at low setting until meat in thickest part is very tender when pierced (6 1/2 - 8 1/2 hours). Carefully lift rabbit to warm serving dish; keep warm. Mix cornstarch and cream; blend into cooking liquid. Increase cooker heat setting to high; cover and cook, stirring 2 or 3 time, until sauce is thickened (about 10 more minutes). Add 1/4 cup of the cheese, cover, and let stand for 3 to 5 minutes; stir until cheese is melted. Pour sauce over rabbit; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of cheese.

Well i looked this up and trying the moose tonight cant wait smells awesome...

goatdancer
10-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Hey Newhunterette, keep 'em coming. They sound delicious. Now I just gotta catch something to shoot. By the way, the wine is also good without the meat......:-P:-P:-P

newhunterette
10-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Hey Newhunterette, keep 'em coming. They sound delicious. Now I just gotta catch something to shoot. By the way, the wine is also good without the meat......:-P:-P:-P

I had a couple of other requests for some recipes that I shared - I will post them as well - some might be a duplicate so I have to double check :)

newhunterette
10-23-2008, 11:00 AM
tasty pot roast
moose roast, about 3 pounds
flour
salt and pepper
1 tbsp. vegetable oil or shortening
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cups beef broth, hot
1 can tomatoes
2 tsp. oregano
2 tsp. garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste if needed

Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper; dust with flour. Brown the moose roast in heated oil or shortening. Add onion and to skillet. Turn off the heat and add beef broth; transfer to slow cooker, scraping browned bits up. Add tomatoes to crockpot, along with the herbs and seasonings. Cover and cook on LOW for 9 to 12 hours, until roast is tender.

Curried Moose
1 cup chopped onion
3 ribs celery, chopped
2 apples, minced
1/4 cup vegetable oil, or shortening
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 cups beef broth
2 tablespoons flour
2 pounds cooked cubed moose
1 cup evaporated milk or coconut milk
1 egg yolk, well beaten
3 cups cooked rice

Sauté onions, celery and apples in oil until slightly brown. Stir in curry powder and simmer 5 minutes. Add remaining seasonings and broth; simmer for 20 minutes. Mix about 1 tablespoon of water into the flour to make a paste; add to broth and cook 5 minutes, stirring until thickened. Remove from heat and allow to stand one hour. Reheat and add cooked meat, milk, and egg yolk just before serving. Heat, stirring, just to a simmering point, stirring constantly, but do not boil. Serve over rice.

Moose Roast in Red Wine
1 cup dry red wine
1 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 large bay leaf or 2 small bay leaves
6 whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 large onion, sliced
one moose roast, chuck or rump, about 4 1/2 to 6 pounds
2 tablespoons bacon drippings or oil

Combine first 7 ingredients to make a marinade. Put meat in a deep non-reactive container; pour marinade over meat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 days. Drain, strain, and reserve marinade. Dry meat. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, brown all sides of roast in hot bacon drippings or oil. Add 1/2 cup of the reserved marinade. Cover and simmer for 2 to 3 hours, or until meat is tender. Check often and add more marinade as needed to prevent sticking. Remove pot roast to serving platter and slice. If desired, thicken drippings with flour mixed with a little water and pour over roast. Serve roast with rice or buttered noodles.

newhunterette
10-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Hunter's Venison
1 pound ground venison
1 can whole tomatoes, undrained, broken up
1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup raw long grain rice
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon leaf basil
dash pepper
grated cheese

Brown ground venison; drain and transfer to slow cooker. Add tomatoes, green pepper, onion, rice, salt, basil, and pepper. Stir thoroughly to mix all ingredients. Sprinkle somecheese on top. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours. Before serving, top with remaining cheese

Polynesian Venison Stew
1 pound deer or elk round steak or stew meat
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup boiling water
1 teaspoon salt
2 or 3 green peppers, sliced
1/2 cup pineapple chunks

Sauce
2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce

Cut steak in 1 inch cubes and dredge with flour. Brown meat cubes on all sides in hot oil. Place in crock add water and salt. Place on high one hour, low for approx 6 hours. Add green peppers and pineapple chunks to meat. Cook one hour longer.
On stove top combine sauce ingredients. Cook until sauce is clear and thick. Pour over meat mixture and heat until ready to serve. Serve with hot cooked noodles or rice

newhunterette
10-23-2008, 07:25 PM
Barbecue Venison
Several lbs. of Deer Meat.
Place in a Crock pot and cook all night with two bay leaves.
Drain off all the liquid and tear the meat a part with your fingers.
Place back in Crock Pot and add your favorite BBQ sauce.
Turn the crock pot back on low to heat through.
Place in hamburger bun and add a little coleslaw and enjoy.

Taco Soup
1 pound ground venison browned
2 cans Tomato Juice
2 cans Dark kidney beans with liquid
1 can Nibblets corn with liquid
1 envelope taco seasoning mix
Put all ingredients in large sauce pan or crock pot (5-1/2 hours on high or 8 hours on low) and heat.
Serve over corn chips and top with cheese

Venison Soup with bacon and ham
1/2 lb. ground venison
1/2 lb. cooked ham, diced
1 med. onion
2 can beef broth
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 lb. bacon, cooked and diced
2 cans pinto beans, drained
1 pkg. frozen mixed veggies
4 cans tomato soup3/4 tsp. salt
In the crock pot combine all the ingredients. Cook on high for 5-6 hoursor low 10 hours.

Easy Venison Spaghetti Sauce
2 pounds ground venison
1-1/2 cups chopped celery
1 garlic clove
2 cans tomato soup
small tomato paste
2 tsp. chili sauce
1/8 tsp. hot pepper sauce
1-1/2 tsp. steak sauce
2 tsp. salt
1-1/2 tsp. thyme
1-1/2 tsp. sage
1 green pepper
1-1/2 cups chopped onion
1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
2 cans diced tomatoes with liquid
1-1/2 cups water
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. sugar3 bay leaves
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. allspice
Add everything to the crock pot. Cook on low 8-10 hours or on high 5-6 hours.

kennyj
10-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Holy Smokes! What a bunch of awesome recipes.
Thanks Ali.
kenny

newhunterette
11-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Bear Pot Roast

1 (4 to 6 lb.) bear roast

Marinade:
2 cup beef broth
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Oregano
1 lg Onion, sliced thin
1/2 tsp Basil
1 tsp Paprika

Place all ingredients in deep bowl to marinate. Turn roast at least twice to cover. Marinate overnight. Add all ingredients to slow cooker or Dutch oven and cook on low setting 1 hour per pound or until tender

Wolfman
11-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Ali,, you keep throwin these recipes out like this and before ya know it we'll need another edition of the HBC cookbook! ;-)

Wolfman

newhunterette
11-03-2008, 01:25 PM
well I know the first one everyone enjoyed but I don't think Marc wants to go that route again so I possibly will work on something of my own :) but I am always open to everyone's contributions

having my grandma's family recipes passed on through generations has helped in my collection being what it is and as they were all many pioneers I feel lucky to have had generations of game recipes given to me from various members - my grandma had 17 siblings and we have the youngest left so she is always sending me things she finds from the family collections :) or gives them to my mom and she gives them to me :)

srupp
11-03-2008, 07:49 PM
pssst... ALI try apple juice in the crock pot with the roast instead of water..

cheers

Steven

newhunterette
11-03-2008, 09:53 PM
pssst... ALI try apple juice in the crock pot with the roast instead of water..

cheers

Steven

sounds yummy Steven
thanks for adding the tip :)