PDA

View Full Version : Recipes for Bear

newhunterette
04-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Seeing it is Spring Bear season, I thought I would post a couple of bear recipes for your palette pleasures.

Bear Steaks with Greek Seasonings
2 lb Bear steaks
1/2 c Olive oil
1/2 c Lemon juice
1 tbsp Garlic powder
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper
1 tsp Combination of oregano, marjoram, rosemary and/or thyme
Trim all visible fat from the bear as it turns rancid rapidly.
Whisk the other ingredients together until completely blended. Use the blended mixture to marinate the meat for 2-3 hours, refrigerated. Longer marinading before cooking does not improve the meat as the remaining bear fat will go rancid despite refrigeration. Grill, broil or saute the steaks until WELL DONE. Bear should always be thoroughly cooked as a trichinosis precaution. Serve immediately. Do not try making a gravy from the marinade as it will usually have picked up a gamey taste from the bear meat.

Zesty Bear Tenders
1 2-lb. bear roast, cut into strips
2 packages Italian dressing mix
2 jars peppers
2 cloves garlic, minced
Mix dressing according to package directions. Place all ingredients in slow cooker and mix. Cook on Low for 5 hours.

Bear Stew with Spanish Flair
3 lb Bear meat
1/4 c Vinegar
1 tb Salt
4 c Water
1/4 c Shortening
1 Medium onion, sliced
1 Green pepper, chopped
1 cl Garlic
1/2 c Chopped celery
1 7 oz. can tomato paste
2 c Canned tomatoes
1 ds Tabasco Sauce
1/2 ts Salt
1/4 ts Pepper

Trim all fat of meat and wash meat well in cold water.
Cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes and soak at least 15 minutes in 4 cups of water to which has been added 1/4 cup vinegar and 1 tablespoon salt. Drain and pat dry.
Melt shortening in a heavy fry pan, add bear meat and brown well on all sides.
Add onion, garlic and celery and simmer until onion becomes translucent. Add remaining ingredients, mix well, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until meat is tender.

cheers and happy bear season
Alison

Moosenose
04-11-2008, 09:55 AM
MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,
I'm coming over for supper! What time? What can I bring?

On the Bear tenders, what type of peppers? Pickled Banana? maybe Pickled Jalepeno?

newhunterette
04-11-2008, 10:55 AM
MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,
I'm coming over for supper! What time? What can I bring?

On the Bear tenders, what type of peppers? Pickled Banana? maybe Pickled Jalepeno?

you can use any type of pickled pepper you like - if you like really spicy use the jalepenos or if you just want a pepper flavour use mild banana peppers - I use pickled banana peppers (sweet)