PDA

View Full Version : Venison Liver

newhunterette
04-10-2008, 11:23 AM
I have read a few threads regarding venison liver and the tradions y'all have when you have harvested an animal. I decided to add this liver recipe on how I prepare and cook venison liver. It has a little flair to it, at least I think it does and it is very tasty.

ALISON'S DILLED VENISON LIVER and ONIONS

½ cup all-purpose flour
¼ tsp. pepper
¼ cup butter
½ tsp. dill weed
2 tsp. salt
1 lb. venison liver, sliced
½ cup onion, minced

Stir together flour, salt and pepper. Coat liver with flour mixture. Melt butter in a large skillet; brown liver over medium heat. Reduce heat and sprinkle with onion and dill. Cover tightly and simmer 20 minutes. Serves 4

Sideofabarn
04-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Ali, I've got 3 pounds of moose liver in my freezer, it's yours if you want it...

Chuck
04-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Ali, I was wondering why it is common to call dill, and most people do, dill weed? It suggests to me that there is another dill out there somewhere that is not a weed. Our family just always referred to it as dill and never had a problem confusing it with something else. Just curious you know.

Sideofabarn
04-10-2008, 04:15 PM
I'll take a stab at answering it. From what little I know, Dill and Dill weed are the same plant. I think they dropped the word weed to make it sound more appetizing. Kinda like they do with stuff they can't find a market for.

newhunterette
04-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Ali, I was wondering why it is common to call dill, and most people do, dill weed? It suggests to me that there is another dill out there somewhere that is not a weed. Our family just always referred to it as dill and never had a problem confusing it with something else. Just curious you know.

wild dill weed grows all over hence why they call it a weed but it is actually a herb that you would use in making dill pickles - sorry if I confused you

oh and Toby, when I come to PG (if I ever get organized for the trip) perhaps I should cook up that liver for you heheheee

Bow Walker
04-10-2008, 09:43 PM
.....brown liver over medium heat. Reduce heat and sprinkle with onion and dill. Cover tightly and simmer 20 minutes. Serves 4[/font]
Ali, anything left of the liver after cooking it for 20 minutes? Not being a smartass here but I always cook the liver just until the juices run just a wee tad on the pink side. The danger is in over cooking the liver.

Johnny G1
04-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Ali, anything left of the liver after cooking it for 20 minutes? Not being a smartass here but I always cook the liver just until the juices run just a wee tad on the pink side. The danger is in over cooking the liver. Ali sure know how to cook my liver, she said simmer not burn it.

newhunterette
04-11-2008, 08:02 AM
Ali, anything left of the liver after cooking it for 20 minutes? Not being a smartass here but I always cook the liver just until the juices run just a wee tad on the pink side. The danger is in over cooking the liver.

I simmer the liver and the 20 minutes is an approximation for time as some people may cut the liver in thicker pieces than others - but simmering lets the flavours blend together

Bow Walker
04-11-2008, 08:24 AM
JG1 - Allison is one hell of a cook. Just do a search for her thread on the dishes she sends with Peter when he goes hunting/fishing.

Ali - yer right, simmering in liquid is about as cooked as it gets when panfrying for just a few minute(s) per side. Now I've got to wipe my keyboard clean...

Moosenose
04-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Venison liver is best the same night as the kill, fresh. I slice into half inch or less and fry it with onions and bacon, some salt and pepper; only about 60 seconds on each side. It is not only pink in the middle, it is red, and it is DELICIOUS. Last year I had about 10 peices in one sitting.
Early natives used to eat the liver raw at the kill site.

newhunterette
04-12-2008, 09:06 AM
okay here is another recipe for LIVER

Hunting Camp Venison Liver and Onions

Have you ever tasted fresh liver from a newly killed deer? The secret is to sauté the liver in an iron frying pan over high heat for a
short period of time, just long enough to seal in the juices without making the liver tough,

1 venison liver
3 cups water
4 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/4 tsp pepper
4 tbsp bacon fat
2 cups onions (thinly sliced)
1 can mushroom soup
1 can warm water

Trim and wash the liver and slice into one-quarter inch thick slices. Pour half of the boiling water over the slices, drain and pat dry. Repeat. On a platter, mix the flour, salt and pepper. Dredge the liver in the flour mixture. Over high heat, heat the bacon fat until blue smoke appears.

Add the liver and sauté on both sides until lightly browned. Remove the liver with a slotted spoon and set aside.

Add the thinly sliced onions and cook until golden brown. Be careful not to burn the onions. Lower the heat, add the mushroom soup, one can of warm water and the liver. Cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours, making sure that the pan does not cook dry. Add one-half cup of the dry red wine just before the liver is ready. Serve with mashed potatoes and melted bacon grease as gravy.

tomahawk
04-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Venison liver is best the same night as the kill, fresh. I slice into half inch or less and fry it with onions and bacon, some salt and pepper; only about 60 seconds on each side. It is not only pink in the middle, it is red, and it is DELICIOUS. Last year I had about 10 peices in one sitting.

Agree 100%, the only way to go unless you add some slices of the heart in there as well!

fester
11-27-2008, 07:09 PM
I have read a few threads regarding venison liver and the tradions y'all have when you have harvested an animal. I decided to add this liver recipe on how I prepare and cook venison liver. It has a little flair to it, at least I think it does and it is very tasty.

ALISON'S DILLED VENISON LIVER and ONIONS

½ cup all-purpose flour
¼ tsp. pepper
¼ cup butter
½ tsp. dill weed
2 tsp. salt
1 lb. venison liver, sliced
½ cup onion, minced

Stir together flour, salt and pepper. Coat liver with flour mixture. Melt butter in a large skillet; brown liver over medium heat. Reduce heat and sprinkle with onion and dill. Cover tightly and simmer 20 minutes. Serves 4

Great recipe, thanks!! Very good.
I only simmered for about 12-15 minutes.

tomahawk
11-27-2008, 10:53 PM

X2 That's the best way and only when fresh the same day as the harvest! That's the tradition we have unless the animal is rutted out and its liver has the white specks in it!