PDA

View Full Version : Broadhead sharpening

ruttinbuck
04-09-2008, 08:30 AM
Gents
What do you use for a broadhead sharpener?
I am using Muzzy 4 blade 100gr heads.
thanks RB.

Ramshot
04-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Got yer crossbow did ya Ruttinbuck!!!:cool: RAMSHOT

bruin
04-09-2008, 08:58 AM
They should come outta the pack razor sharp. If you are shooting your hunting heads for practice I would suggest using a practice head that has the same flight pattern etc. but doesn;t damage your hunting blades.

ruttinbuck
04-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Yeah Ramshot I got it a few weeks ago.Gonna go out and see if I can real close and personal with Yogi.
Bruin-I just ordered some new ones,I do have 3 here that came with the bow and I am trying to sharpen them up.I did get a practice head as well with the bow and it shoots very close L-R with the field points just a tad lower at 30yds.RB

Bow Walker
04-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Gents
What do you use for a broadhead sharpener?
I am using Muzzy 4 blade 100gr heads.
thanks RB.
I prefer a slow revolution wet grinder - bought one at Cdn Tire a few years back - it does the rougher stuff really well. I then use a flat wet stone for the finer work and to finish I use a very fine diamond hone.

Being a meatcutter for 30 years, it is second nature to me to use the "hands on" approach when sharpening broadheads - and NO, they aren't sharp enough "straight out of the package".

If the blades are removeable, I take them out and still use the manual labor type of sharpening, only I grip the tiny blades in a pair of visr grips or other lockable pliers.

budismyhorse
04-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Bow Walker,

ever used a "strap"? I have been told that the ol strap used for shaving razor's will do the fine sharpening really well. any experience with that?

and I agree with you, they aren't that sharp out of the box...

I shoot (at the moment) G5 montecs.

ruttinbuck
04-11-2008, 02:05 PM
I took Bow walkers advice,took the bheads apart,used my lansky kit to put an edge on.I thought the bhead would have a very fine 17 degree angle on the blade.However the 25 degree angle turned out to be the best for an edge.Definately sharper now.RB

Bow Walker
04-11-2008, 11:45 PM
Bow Walker,

ever used a "strap"? I have been told that the ol strap used for shaving razor's will do the fine sharpening really well. any experience with that?

and I agree with you, they aren't that sharp out of the box...

I shoot (at the moment) G5 montecs.
I've had experience with having the strap laid on me - both by teacher(s) and by my dear ol' Dad. Guess I must've been a snotty little shitster.;-)

Strops work really well. You can make your own by cutting about 8 - 10 inches out of a wide leather belt. Get yourself a 2x4 that's about 14 inches long so as to give you room to hold the thing. Nail or screw the piece of leather rough side up, on the board. Then get some very fine abrasive powder/dust and put a pinch on the strop. Moisten it with water (just slightly) and strop away.

Remember how the barbers stropped? They worked the blade so that it was stropped away from the cutting edge with each forward and backward stroke. Do this while putting light to moderate pressure on the broadhead. Finish up with very light strokes (strops) and have an even number of strops per side of the broadhead cutting edge.

The idea is for the blade to be a perfect "V", coming to the keen cutting edge, with no "fold-over" on one side or the other. This is what gives you that edge that is referred to as "shaving sharp". Good luck.