PDA

View Full Version : Grouse Ammo?

Plincker
04-08-2008, 08:34 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm siteing in my scope on my .22 and I was wondering what you guys thought was the best .22 ammo for grouse head shots. I have been playing around with CCI's 710 and 1080fps bullets. I found that my gun (henry lever) likes shooting American eagle bullets. Nice tight groups at 50yards, plus a hell of alot cheaper too. But would a .22 short be better for grouse than the american eagle .22LR hollow points?

Thanx,

Plincker

johnes50
04-08-2008, 09:16 PM
I think you found your ammo. The American Eagle, if it shoots nice and accurate out of your gun, then that's the one I would use.

.308win
04-08-2008, 09:37 PM
My Mark II likes the bigo' brick of Winchesters(Wallys special, 500 rounder!!)

Perry

Mr. Dean
04-09-2008, 02:14 AM
I think you found your ammo. The American Eagle, if it shoots nice and accurate out of your gun, then that's the one I would use.

I'd concur.
If the rifle likes em, shoot em.

Any shot to the head will be a killer but I'd prefer the hollow point LR round for hunting.
Shorts IMO are for safety, such as shooting pigeons inside a barn. They lack penetration thus less holes in the roof. :smile:

Stick with what works...

FLHTCUI
04-09-2008, 12:50 PM
I have shot grouse (head shots ) with a .410, 30-30, and with my 300winmag. All are successful when well placed and the conditions are good for such overkill.
I think you have your answer already, but if you would like to try some experiments, try hiting a bottle cap at 25 yrds and 50 yrds and that will do two things, burn ammo if you miss lots or improve your skills when the season opens and there is a mess of grouse waiting to be tucked into your bag.
Just my .02 worth
Rob

riflebuilder
04-09-2008, 12:54 PM
what ever gives the best accuracy use it.

Fixit
04-09-2008, 05:20 PM
try hiting a bottle cap at 25 yrds and 50 yrds ...

plincker is a pretty good shot, and has no problem punching out 12ga primers at 30yards..... better than i am anyways

Plincker
04-12-2008, 10:26 PM
plincker is a pretty good shot, and has no problem punching out 12ga primers at 30yards..... better than i am anyways

Thanx for the compliment Fixit!

Yeah I think I'll stay with the American Eagle ammo. But what do you guys think about the hollow points versus the round nose bullets for accuracy?

thanx guys,

Plincker

johnes50
04-13-2008, 08:12 AM
Probably sub-sonic solids are more accurate from what I've read, but I find hollow points to be OK. I think it's the gun more than the ammo. Some guns can shoot almost anything and others really like one type of ammo. I used to buy only hollow points for my Marlin 56 and it is very accurate with them, but then again, it shoots everything OK.

It seems you found what your gun likes though. That's the great thing about .22's, you can shoot lots and it doesn't cost much.

happygilmore
04-13-2008, 09:40 PM
seriously? I've never even contemplated what 22 ammo to buy whatever is the cheapest. For practice go out to the range and place thumb tacks at the 25yrd target, when you can consistently take them out your ready.

steelheadSABO
04-26-2008, 10:42 AM
i find the american eagles leave alot of residue in the barrel which leads to more cleaning

Slickfork
04-26-2008, 10:46 AM
Hi! my son discovered at age 9 that shorts will ricochet off of grouse wing feathers, stick with longs or long rifle. slickfork

Mr. Friendly
04-30-2008, 07:51 PM
a quick question that is somewhat off-topic (sorry if it's considered thread jacking), but how would you figure out if your gun liked one brand of bullet over another? the grouping gets better or something else?

Plincker
04-30-2008, 08:20 PM
a quick question that is somewhat off-topic (sorry if it's considered thread jacking), but how would you figure out if your gun liked one brand of bullet over another? the grouping gets better or something else?

That's exactly it. The grouping of the shots will be alot more consistant. If you are sighting in a scope you'll find that every brand of ammo will hit different spots on the paper. For example I'm sighted in with American Eagle ammo and if I shoot CCI stingers they'll be about 4" up and right from bullseye. Don't know if you are a member of a range or not but get yourself some sand bags and start by sighting your gun in at 25yards and then go out from their to the yardage you want your scope to be zero'd in at. This is what I did and it seems to work great with my gun.

Thanx to everyone for their input. SHSABO I know what you mean about the extra residual build up in the barrel and I'm finding alot more brass filings in the receiver to. Kinda a pain in the ass cuz it's a lever!

Take care guys,

Plincker

Mr. Friendly
04-30-2008, 08:24 PM
hey Plincker, my brother and I are both getting our PAL & CORE courses done next week, so it's still a few months away from us being able to go to a range, but when we do, it will be interesting to see what happens.

thanks for that tidbit tho...it will help us when we do get out there!

Plincker
04-30-2008, 08:40 PM
hey Plincker, my brother and I are both getting our PAL & CORE courses done next week, so it's still a few months away from us being able to go to a range, but when we do, it will be interesting to see what happens.

thanks for that tidbit tho...it will help us when we do get out there!

Good on yeah guys for takin the PAL and CORE and Welcome to the site. You'll learn heaps of info from this site, don't hesitate to aski questions. God knows where I'd be if it aint for the info on this site!
When you get your paper work at the end of the courses send them away right away, especialy your PAL. Can take a few months too "Process" the paper work at the head office apparently.
I definatly reccomend you get yourself a .22 as one of your first guns. Cheap to shoot, similar weight and feel of a higher caliber rifle but absolutly no recoil.

Plincker

Mr. Friendly
04-30-2008, 09:06 PM
it's cool Plinker! you're actually close to me, as I'm in Kamloops. soon as I'm allowed, I hope to hunt for small game...bird, rabbit and whatever else is legal or open season. :)

Slime green cat
05-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Speaking of dirty ammo and .22's ..... I was told that .22 ammo has alot of wax that gums things up :?:
I haven't tried it yet, but I heard the best way to clean your gun is to pour boiling water down the barrel until it runs clear and clean and them oil the crap out of it right after ????
I have only put a few hundred rounds through my Ruger so far, but as soon as it starts to get sticky I am going to try the boiling water thing and see how it works :idea:

Anyone else hear of this or try it ???

My choice of ammo is CCI Mini Mags 36 grain . They are about twice the price of the cheap cheap stuff , but that is still cheap imo ....

Plincker
05-11-2008, 03:50 PM
The only ammo that I have used that has the wax coating on it is the Remington Thunderbolt ammo. It's complete Crap and I don't reccomend it to anyone. Yeah it's cheap but it's cheap for a reason. 3 out of 10 shots are duds! The wax is supposed to act as a lubricant making it smoother to cycle through the action and it does leave a fare bit of residue in the barrel. I only shoot copper plated ammo through my Lever, it cycles smooth as it's more lubricated than the lead and it doesn't leave lead residue in the action and barrel.

Haven't tried the boiling water trick, makes sense though. I like using Wipeout, the liquid form not the foam stuff.

Plincker