PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Expandable Broadheads

Walksalot
06-04-2005, 05:56 AM
I have toyed with the idea of using them but have heard more bad than good about them. If my information is correct some states in the U.S. do not allow their use in the hunting season.

3kills
06-04-2005, 08:19 AM
i dont bow hunt (yet) but from what i have heard and read about them they arent very good...

Thunderstix
06-04-2005, 08:26 AM
Rocky Mountain Snypers from Barrie Archery! They have taken expandables to a new level. The design is pretty smart and eliminates the problems that all others suffer.

Cappy
06-04-2005, 08:27 AM
Alot of the bad press came from the first styles that came out. A lot of people still harbour some pretty strong opinions about them. My first choice would be a fixed bladed broadhead that I could get to fly with my field points without any problems. They are out there, I've had success getting WASP's to fly well. However it can be difficult to get some bows to shoot fixed bladed broadheads well, especially at longer distances. I have used and still have no problem using expandables. I have used Rocket Naildrivers (2 bladed) with success, shot a mulie doe at 55yds last year 1/4'ng away and it punched right through and made a huge hole. It is much easier to find an expandable that will fly well out of a particular bow (not an excuse to not tune your bow properly). Rocket makes several good ones, rocky mt Snypers are another good one. You will generally have to have a faster shooting bow with a minimum KE to ensure they open properly, jut check manufacturer's suggestions.

Fred
06-04-2005, 09:20 PM
I am useing the Muzzy fixed blanes because I have seen how poorly the Spitfires react to any contact with a hard object. If they hit a branch enroute to their target, TOAST! Of course that is only my opinion and I don't have much in the way of bowhunting experience. Fred

willyqbc
06-05-2005, 07:00 PM
As with anything there are good and bad in both expandable and fixed blade. There are lots of expandandable and fixed on the market that really have no business being on the end of anyones arrow. There are also lots of good in both styles. Myself I like the fixed as there is just simply less to go wrong with them, especially the one peice Montecs I have been shooting. As far as getting a fixed to fly well it really is just a matter of properly tuning the bow. You can just tune to your broadheads or you can tune to bring your broadheads and field points to the same point.

Nothing against expandables, but in some instances they are used when the knowledge of proper tuning is not present and its an "easy" way to get decent flight. Only problem with that is while you may get decent accuracy out of a "loosely" tuned bow, you will loose a lot of KE due to less than great arrow flight resulting in poor penetration. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with these heads but your bow should be tuned well enough to shoot fixed blade heads before you use them. Also they should not be used in low KE set-ups.

Just my opinion:)
Chris

oldtimer
06-07-2005, 04:34 PM
I use the Muzzy's like fred and while I have only taken one animal with them they seem to fly consistantly when practising. One thing to remember--- put them together properly !!! Mike

Fred
06-08-2005, 08:59 AM
You aren't just kidding Mike. Those instructions on the package are for the birds. It must have took me at least 1/2 an hour to figure out how to assemble the practice tip and I wasn't about to ask for advice from my friends at BO and look even dumber that I am!:roll: :grin: Fred

J_T
06-09-2005, 08:50 AM
Just stay away from expandables. No need to add another component of possible error or miscalculation when you're in tight. You need your equipment to work and do it's job.

JT

Bigbear
07-04-2005, 11:29 AM
The big thing with the whole subject is Shot Placement. No mater what you use you have to hit the kill zone. A field tip will kill if you hit the zone, ( Don't try it), But if you hit it in the Ass, Mech, or Fixed isnt goning to matter.

Geo.338
09-07-2005, 06:29 PM
I shot an elk calf with an expandable 2 blade head .It made a big hole but had almost no penetration, lucky I hit it right in the heart.I tried them because they were at a bargain price.I now know why.The only thing I would use them on is grouse or geese as a cheap alternative to a judo head.

Bow Walker
09-07-2005, 07:29 PM
I have used both expandable and fixed heads and for my money it will always be the "cut-on-contact" type of fixed head for me. Such as the one that Razorcap puts out. http://www.razorcaps.com

I am not an expert at tuning bows (i leave that to eagle1) but suffice to say that if I can get them to work with a minimum of effort it should be easy for the average guy.

Fly with your field tips? YUP! I shot them into my bag target from 20, 30, and 40 yards distance. Blew right through the target and about 4 inches into the sand at 30 yards. Great heads, period. JMHO (just my humble opinion)

I plan on taking them for a "walk" this weekend.

Avalanche123
09-20-2005, 07:11 AM
Hmmm read this article on broadheads. Perhaps it will shed some light on the use of the variou stypes of broadheads.
http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=24

yote
09-29-2005, 12:30 PM
I was using fixed heads until last year whenm I tried expandables. I like the accuracy that I get and there is less wind plain. I don't have a lot of experience with them yet as opersonally the only deer I got with the bow last year was a neck shot and it was a done deal once I let fly and any head would have worked, having a 2 inch cutting diameter didn't hurt though. My brother in law got one with mechanicals too and even at a steep 1/4 ing shot, it zipped the deer wide open and left a monster hole on the other side that looked more like it was shot with a rifle. For me, I don't care that a mechanical doesn't work well if it hits a branch because in my opinion, no arrow that hits a branch works very well.

greybark
09-29-2005, 05:40 PM
;) Hey Walksalot , I fully agree with Willyqbc on this one . I have no experience with them on either Traditional or Modern bows . I think they would be a very poor choice for traditional bows due to the slower arrow speeds involved.

:D If you are going bowhunting this year - The best of luck to you and may the bear walk a different path ---- Ken

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Thunderstix
09-30-2005, 06:58 AM
All I can say is Rocky Mountain Snypers if you want an expandable that won't loswe energy while opening nor will it cartwheel on quartering away shots. Check them out as they are the smartest design period.

PGKris
10-19-2005, 08:51 PM
I might be a little late in posting here but I'll give a good solid "YES" vote for the expandables. The only good ones on the market right now (as far as I'm concerned) are Spitfires by NAP. I shoot them in 125 gr and while I have yet to take something with them, I've seen the damage they do on impact and the massive hole they make through the animal. The difference between Spitfires and other expandables is that Spitfires don't have the "O" rings that older model expandables have and the blades are held in by a self-contained piece of metal inside the blade groove. On imapact, they open immediately due to of course the flared ends of the blade. They're great and shoot almost identical to field points. Just my bit
KRIS

Jetboater
10-20-2005, 02:50 PM
Montec G5 is all I am going to say, I have broken through a shoulder bones with this broadhead.
they are the only true flying no adjustment needed broadhead I have ever shot.

I ran a pro shop for 4 years and never had a broadhead shoot perfect without any major tuning, but this is the first one for me.

mgnm300
11-06-2005, 10:47 PM
i've had great success with expandables since it's not easy for me to retune my bow because i'm using a scope (not magnified).the expandables fly the same way a field tip does and have no problem going thru any deer or bear i've shot

Dirty
11-06-2005, 10:55 PM
I also use the Montec G5's and they required absolutely no tuning straight out of the package. They are wicked broadheads as far as performance and price. I think they were about the same price as most cheap expenadables and 10 Bucks cheaper than the NAP spitfire expandables. If there is any broadhead I would recommend it has got to be these ones.

buckslayer
11-07-2005, 09:14 AM
I love the mechanicals and have had great sucess with them. last year i got a 165 lb 4x4 whitey (hanging in the cooler weight) and a doe, 2 shots 2 deer. They seem to do far move damage then a conventional broadhead and fly straighter.

Thunderstix
11-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Most people with negative comments about expandables are basing their opinions on old styles ans most likely are only repeating "what they have heard". If a person stops and really looks at some of the new styles they will see that they are far far superior to anything in the past. Rocky Mountain Snypers are "cut on impact"!