PDA

View Full Version : cooking turkeys

Bear36
04-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Anyone know how to cook a turkey for good tasteing?

Moosenose
04-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Cook a wild turkey exactly the same as you would a domestic turkey. They are basically the same bird, just a different diet. If you are looking for a particular recipe, sorry, can't help you there.

Brine it, good idea.
Also, if you have a turkey cooker, heat oil to 350F, then drop it in for 2.5 minutes per pound while maintaining 350F.
Have a cold 6-pack ready before starting bird.
Don't cook it on a wooden surface like a deck.
Keep kids away, these things are dangerous. (both kids and turkey cookers)
Slowly drain 6-pack while monitoring temperature and watching for fires

Gateholio
04-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Brine it:wink:

tomahawk
04-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Brine it:wink:

Agree 100%, I brine all commercia frozen turkeys, they are awesome!

newhunterette
04-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Roast Wild Turkey

1 Wild Turkey, cleaned and washed
1 tbsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
5 stalks celery
1/3 cup melted butter
6 bacon slices
6 bacon slices done to a crisp
1 large. onion
6 baby carrots
1 can mushrooms
1 cup Sherry
One cup heavy cream
Wild rice

Sprinkle salt and pepper on turkey. Put onion, mushrooms, carrots and celery in bird's cavity. Place breast side down on a rack in the roasting pan. Dribble melted butter over breast and place bacon strips on top of bird.
Turn bird breast side up 20 minutes before it is done and cover breast with bacon slices. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes per pound or until bird is tender. Deglaze pan, pour off the fat. Remove vegetables and blend on high residue with deglazed pan juices. Add sherry and heavy cream. Add grapes if desired, Serve with wild rice.

Alison:)

Bear36
04-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Thankyou all for the comments and thankyou especially Alison that is great recipe I'll definately try this one....!!!

Greg

Bowzone_Mikey
04-09-2008, 05:36 PM
I usually deepfry turkeys ... before you cook it up tho ... Inject it with some Lousianna hot sauce(Franks is good too), Kikkomans terriaki sauce(must be kikkomans as its the best), and then do a a spice rub on the outside(montreal steak actually is really good) ... let it sit in that concoction for a day or so.... do it a few times to find what you really like ... Thats my fave .. a Hot Terri Bird

3 min per pound at 350 or so ... and you are good

Warning ... do not inject sugar or sucrous based sauces into bird ...other wise the sucrous or sugar will burn and taste like $#!^ .....

hints to make deepfry turkey easier ....

If storebought keep wrapped and dip into pot filled with water to discover how much oil you will need in pot (keep in mind when oil is hot it expands ..hot oil level will be about 1cm above cold water level ...
If wild ... wrap it tight in garbage bag and do the same thing ...
(also keep in mind you will probally have to add some oil when dipped as there is no fluid going into body caity this way)

When you drop the bird in ... do it very slowly as the oil will hiss and pop and spit at you from the birds moisture ... first reaction is to drop and run ... do not do this ...Oil will spill over . I have a welders glove that i use to protect my arm from steam etc .. Its about a minute and a half process to drop the bird in

Turn off Fire while dipping bird in ... save a whole lot of headache (from cranky over protective people to potential fire)... with a long stick lighter (BBQ lighter) you can fire the flame again no problem once bird is in pot and settled down a bit and lid is on .... Unless your in a 40 below 50mph wind ... you wont lose much heat other than the heat you normally lose when you drop the bird in.

Storebought birds .... Make certain you did not get 2 or more bags of giblets ... (yes it happend to me once ...Bought a Util grade ..got 3 bags and 2 necks in an otherwise perfect bird)

newhunterette
04-14-2008, 01:59 PM
Stuffed Wild Turkey
1 (10 lbs) wild Turkey [dressed]
8 sl Bacon
1 c Onion [chopped]
1/4 c Celery [chopped]
1/2 c Water
1 pk Corn bread stuffing mix [herb-seasoned]
1 (cube) chicken bouillon
1/2 c Hot water
1/2 c Burgundy
6 sl Bacon
1/2 c Burgundy
Rinse the bird and pat dry inside and out. Brown 8 slices of bacon in a skillet `til CRISP, then drain reserving the drippings. Saute the onions and celery in the bacon drippings in a skillet `til brown, and add 1/2 cup of water and simmer fo 5 min. Combine the stuffing mix, boullion cube (dissolved in 1/2 c of hot water), 1/2 c burgundy, onion and crumpled bacon in a bowl mixing well. Stuff and truss the turkey. Place the bird in a roaster and arrange 4 slices of bacon across the breast. Wrap 1 bacon slice around each leg and cover tightly with foil. Place the lid on the roaster and bake at 300 degrees F for 4 1/2 hours. Pour remaining burgundy over the turkey and bake uncovered for 40 more min. basting every 10 min. Let stand for 10 min. before slicing and serve.

Roast Wild Turkey with Sausage Dressing
14 lb Turkey
8 c Stale bread crumbs
Onion; finely chopped
1/2 ts Lemon rind; grated
1 ts Thyme
1/2 ts Sage
1/4 c Orange juice
1 lb Sausage
2 c Celery; diced
2 ts Orange rind; grated
Salt & Pepper
1/2 ts Majoram
1/4 c Parsley; chopped
1/2 c Butter
Wash & dry turkey & season inside with salt. Cook sausage in skillet until brown. Mix sausage with bread cubes & celery. Saute onion & add to mixture with other above ingredients. Stir in 1/4 cup of sausage fat & stuff into turkey. Close with pins. Roast at 325 degrees about 4 1/2 hours or until tender.

Marmo+
04-14-2008, 02:43 PM
This recipe is my dad's ...

Rock Stuffed Turkey:
Place a large rock inside the turkey, put it in the oven at 325 degrees. Cook until the rock is tender :)