PDA

View Full Version : Wild Game Sausages

newhunterette
04-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Types of Venison Sausage

Fresh Venison Sausage
Fresh sausage is not cooked, contains no curing salt and is meant to be eaten soon after it's made. Salt and seasonings are mixed with the ground venison, which is sometimes combined with beef or pork.
Some fresh sausage types, like Polish sausage or breakfast links are stuffed into casings. Italian sausage and breakfast sausage can be left in bulk form and shaped into patties, or cooked and crumbled for adding to sauces and gravies.

Cured Venison Sausage
Cured sausages contain a curing mixture or curing salt in addition to the salt and other seasonings. The ground meat is combined with the curing salt and allowed to rest for a period of time before the other ingredients are added.
Some styles of cured sausage are fermented, which gives a tangy taste to the meat. The acidity from the fermentation adds a tart bite and also helps to prevent spoilage.
After curing, the seasonings are added and the meat is stuffed into casings. There are different procedures for making semi-dry and dry cured sausage.
Semi-Dry Venison Sausage
Semi-dry cured sausage is slowly cooked over a period of several hours, with the final temperature reaching 150 to 160 degrees Fahrenheit, depending on the recipe. Some varieties of semi dry sausage are smoked.
Dry Venison Sausage
Dry sausage is not cooked, but is hung and dried at a controlled temperature and humidity level. The drying process can take several weeks.
Easy Deer Salami Recipe

Venison and five ingredients is all it takes to make this recipe. It's no trouble at all. To make venison salami, you need...

5 pounds ground venison
4 tablespoons Morton tender quick
2 tablespoons of cracked black peppercorns
1 tablespoon mustard seed
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons liquid smoke Mix all of the ingredients together thoroughly for at least 5 minutes. The mixing action stirs in the spices, but more importantly it improves the texture of the salami. Keep it cold in the refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours to cure.

Shape the meat into rolls, about 3 inches in diameter. Place the rolls on a cookie sheet or broiler pan and bake at 175 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 hours. Drain and cool. Refrigerate for 24 hours before serving.
Now all you need are a few crackers, some mild cheddar cheese, cream cheese, and pickled jalapeno slices and you'll be set. Time to start munching down the salami. And hey, don't forget the beer!
Hot Venison Italian Sausage Recipe

When it's hot, it's hot, and this one is as hot as you want it to be. The amount of crushed red pepper can be adjusted to suit your taste to a "T".

2 pounds ground venison
1 pound ground pork
1/2 c. water
4 teaspoons crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoons basilCombine all of the ingredients. This recipe is best if it is kept refrigerated for 24 hours for the flavors to blend and the spices to soften and mellow.

Form the meat into patties and pan fry over medium heat until lightly browned. It can also be fried to use as a pizza topping or in sauces.
Makes great meatballs, too. A few breadcrumbs and an egg, chopped onion and garlic, and wow. You'll have some great spaghetti sauce! Serve up the venison sausage spaghetti with a cool, green salad, crusty garlic bread and a big ol' bottle of wine. Now that's eatin'!
Deer Breakfast Sausage - the Recipe

This is a really nice recipe for breakfast sausage. Very simple and really tasty. It's best if you trim all the fat off of the venison before its ground. Some venison suet has a strong flavor that just doesn't agree with some people. For this breakfast of champion’s recipe, you need...

1 pound ground deer meat
1 pound ground pork
2 teaspoons ground sage
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepperPut the pork and the venison into a large bowl and mix it up. Combine the spices and seasonings, and then sprinkle the mixture over the meat. Work the seasonings into the meat with your hands. Fun, isn't it?
Form the meat into a roll, wrap in foil or plastic, and refrigerate for at least 24 hours. Now you can hack off a slice or two and fry it up just like it was some Jimmy Dean sausage.
If you like, you can forget the rolling and wrapping part, and just shape it into loosely formed patties and fry 'em up. Don't forget that double side of hash browns and eggs over easy. I'm hungry!
Low fat Venison Breakfast Sausage - the Recipe

Nada bit of pork fat in this sausage. It's all lean venison, seasoned with spice and a little something that tastes like fat, but ain't like fat. Its no-fat butter buds.

1 pound ground venison
2 teaspoons sage
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon butter buds
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon red pepper (or to taste)Combine all ingredients, form into patties and fry, using non-stick skillet and just a touch of oil. If you're a low fat kind of eater, this sausage recipe is a good one for you. And it's a great way to make use of that tasty venison.
Serve the sausage with a bowl of oatmeal and fresh fruit for a good kick-start in the morning. You might even want to have a cup of herbal tea. No? I didn't really think so. Go ahead and have a good, strong cup of coffee. That'll get your motor runnin'!

Enjoy! Alison

Leaseman
04-05-2008, 05:48 AM
Real men do drink herbal tea, Alison....:wink:

Looks like some good recipes here....is one of them what you and Pete where eating on the boat last weekend?

Bow Walker
04-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Good lookimg recipes - I am going to be trying a couple this year....with bear meat (i hope).

kennyj
04-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Hey Alison,
Thanks for the awesome recipes,I hope to try some of those this year.My friend Allison wants to try for a black bear so maybe we'll be lucky enough to try some bear meat in these recipes.
Kenny

mikethemilkman
04-07-2008, 11:43 AM
alison live on the island and the only place i can get mortens is when i am in sask. hunting whiteys. that easy salami recipe is great have used one simialar but mortens impossible to get here. herman

newhunterette
04-08-2008, 08:57 AM
alison live on the island and the only place i can get mortens is when i am in sask. hunting whiteys. that easy salami recipe is great have used one simialar but mortens impossible to get here. herman

Herman,

I get mortons from across the border as i am only 10 minutes from Bellingham but if you have an alternative to it and it works then that's awesome - Stuffers out here in Langley carries all sorts of tenderizers and sausage spices premixed also - I tend to experiment a little also with seasonings and herbs :)

Alison

mikethemilkman
04-08-2008, 09:23 AM
ALISON i usually get8-10 bags in sask. so i do have enough for this year,thanks for the info.mike ps love all the recipes!!!!!!!!!!!