PDA

View Full Version : Rotator Cuff injury

Bow Walker
05-30-2005, 05:37 PM
How can an afternoon of shooting - target practice - result in such a debillating condition?

I went shooting on a Sunday afternoon and was progressing nicely, shooting in a string from West Coast Archery's Bill Sampson installation. The bow was shooting just fine, although I had to re-install my string leeches that were missing.

The "Sampson Strong String" was shooting great. [I am going to refer to Bill's strings as SSS's.]

The sighting in session and the shooting were no problem. I felt no stress or pain in my shoulder at all, then on the morning after the shoot I could not even lift my arm to shake "the world" after a morning wizz. If you know what I mean.

How can such a thing sneak up on a person when there were no symptoms on the day of the shoot??

The doctor prescribed Naproxon to lessent he inflamation and control the pain. It seems to be working as I can now wipe my nose without a whole lot of pain - at least. And some other unmentionable places.

Oh yeah, BTW, I ain't no wuss when it comes to working or playing with a bit of pain.

My main bitch? I've got to miss the Vanc. Is. 3D Championships!:mad:

Waiting to heal and re-hab.
Dan.

Fred
05-30-2005, 09:21 PM
Dan it was obviously a plot to take you out of the event so that someone else less deserving could win!:wink: Hopefully you will recover fully and soon. Fred

buckee
05-30-2005, 09:26 PM
I have an old Rotator Cuff injury that acts up on me all the time. That's the one thing that keeps me from the 3D shooting. I have to watch I don't over practice.

So far, I've been pretty lucky with bow hunting and dealing with it. If it starts bothering me, I just have to take it easy for a while.:roll:

Kirby
05-30-2005, 09:30 PM
I smashed my sholder 2 years ago(bike accident), and it took well over a year to really heal up, it still bothers me occasionally, fortunatly its my bow arm, and not my drawing arm, so it doesn't bother me to much. Watch the inflamations, torn Cartilage won't heal, and needs to be repaired surgically, the good news is, the sholder operation is realativly not invasive, and heals pretty quick, but still sucks to get.
Have you got to see a physio therapist? A good one is well worth the money.

Kirby

greybark
05-31-2005, 11:11 AM
:roll: Hey BowWalker, Have you considered that you may have pinched a nerve? If that happened some patience and lite exercise and you will be like new again. Good Luck to you.

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Bow Walker
05-31-2005, 06:20 PM
Firstly, thanks for all the good wishes. They definitely help with the attitude. For the majority of archers the sport is not a hobby, but rather it is a passion. IMHO.

buckee - rehab is going to be the next step as soon as the inflamation goes down a bit.

Kirby - physio is most likely going to be in the plans as I don't want this recurring dometime in the future.

greybark - a pinched nerve is very unlikely because I have been working and using the joint since the this was first evident. Since using the Naproxon the pain has abated and then come back on two occasions - thus far. This indicates that I am "over stressing" the joint - according to the MD'.s.

Since I own and operate my own business (I am the cheapest employee that I have) it is almost impossible not to use the joint. I just can't seem to be able to rest it as required.

Obviously this will increase the healing time but hopefully it will not affect the strength and stability of the joint.

Again, thanks for the good wishes from all.