PDA

View Full Version : Dog training 101

Gateholio
03-29-2008, 11:25 PM
Our bouvier female had 8 puppies with the malamute father, 7 are gone, and we are keeping one. The mother is my gals dog- No question.

It appears that the pup we kept is My dog. She s a nice puppy, I like her, but I've never really owned a dog.

Neither one of these dogs are "hunting" dogs since hey aren't retrivers/pointers/flushers and I dont intend them to be.

The little puppy is 3 months old, to the day, and I was wondering if it's time to teach heeling etc?

When I have her out for a walk on a leash, she almost pulls my arm off!! She is strong!! (Mind you, I am running, so it's not like I am trying to make her heel/etc)

I think it is time for serious training, or is she too young? I have no interest in a "hunting" dog, but I hate uncontrollable dogs. I want her to heell, sit (she understands "sit" but doesn't want to stay long), come (she does come) etc etc..

Just basic stuff.

I htink she is old enough, how do I do it so it's the best?

thanks

Tini Head
03-30-2008, 12:07 AM
I have 2 dogs, one is a four month old puppy.
She knows shake a paw, come, sit, stay and is learning heel.
We don't normally walk her on the leash, though.
My other dog is 4 years old.
He knows lots of tricks.
When he was a puppy, we just brought treats on our walks, and now he knows heel.:):):)

3kills
03-30-2008, 05:29 AM
i m the only one that can walk my dog she will walk nicely beside me but for anyone else she pulls like crazy and ithink its because when she was a pup i walked her and when she pulled or wondered i just gave the leesh a tug and told her side...probably should have told her heel but side worked...

Trailmaster
03-30-2008, 07:15 AM
Its better to start them young, they pick it up alot faster, but they do like to do their own thing most the time.

Islandeer
03-30-2008, 08:06 AM
Gate,

Get going on the obediance. Sounds like you have a dominant dog. It needs to understand that you are the leader, That means you eat first, go through doors first, teach her your boundries,then treat her suceses and correct her when she crosses them. Make her wait for everything,supper,pats,walks,etc. Practice her heeling in the yard,slowly first,don't move on until she masters keeping in step,and stopping when you do. She needs to be aware of what you are doing. Remember the relationship with our dogs is not intended to be a democracy! Remember the wolf pack.

Clint_S
03-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Pinch collar.
No they aren't cruel. Just give her a shot when she pulls and release when she doesn't. Just like Ray Hunt says about horses, "Make the the right thing easy and the wrong thing hard."

Elkhound
03-30-2008, 03:39 PM
pinch collars work well. Earlier the training the better. it will make a great camp dog

JeffR
03-30-2008, 06:38 PM
i agree that pinch collers work well, but I have seen dogs that become used to them and it stops being effective. Try this; Using a 6 foot web leash run the leash down the dogs back, at the waist run the handle of the leash under the dogs stomach and bring it all the way around. Run the handle under the line going down the dogs back, creating a loop around the dogs waist. When the dog pulls, the loop will tighten, which feels really odd to the dog. You shouldn't have to pull back at all with this method, the dog will do all the work for you.

Mr. Dean
03-30-2008, 07:54 PM
B'tween the kitchen and your Ol'Lady,,, You haven't the time.

Dannybuoy
03-30-2008, 08:03 PM
I would do a bit of research on the breed , as to when they are ready and/or talk to a obedience trainer about that . The most impressionable time in a pups life is at the 12 week period . I would be careful not to encourage or let it start to develop any potentially bad habits but be careful how I disciplined it . There are some good books out there as well

Dirty
03-30-2008, 09:47 PM
When I have her out for a walk on a leash, she almost pulls my arm off!! She is strong!! (Mind you, I am running, so it's not like I am trying to make her heel/etc)

You were Running?

Dannybuoy
03-30-2008, 09:55 PM
Gate,

Get going on the obediance. Sounds like you have a dominant dog. It needs to understand that you are the leader, That means you eat first, go through doors first, teach her your boundries,then treat her suceses and correct her when she crosses them. Make her wait for everything,supper,pats,walks,etc. Practice her heeling in the yard,slowly first,don't move on until she masters keeping in step,and stopping when you do. She needs to be aware of what you are doing. Remember the relationship with our dogs is not intended to be a democracy! Remember the wolf pack.

I just reread this ... sounds like Islander knows what he is talking about !
Good advise !

Paulyman
03-30-2008, 09:57 PM
What i did with my dog when he pulled on the leash was i would step ahead and infront of him, he is begining to realise that if he is not back and watching me he gets my calf in the side of the head, not to hurt him just to startle him.Also i would change direction and weave in and out of trees just to reinforce that following me is in his best interest.

It doesent happen over night thats for sure. I am quite consistent with my pup and he still has a long way to go.

Gateholio
03-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks guys. I guess 3 months old is old enough. She is just so enthusiastic, she runs around on the leash, trying to catch up to her mom!:biggrin:

It was driving me nuts, so half way through the run, I just shortened up the leash and held her firm to my side. Not easy, and she seems like she is choking herself in her exuberance.

Liek ay thing else, the more time/effort you put in the more the rewards will be.

Wolfman
03-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Our bouvier female had 8 puppies with the malamute father, 7 are gone, and we are keeping one. The mother is my gals dog- No question.

It appears that the pup we kept is My dog. She s a nice puppy, I like her, but I've never really owned a dog.

Neither one of these dogs are "hunting" dogs since hey aren't retrivers/pointers/flushers and I dont intend them to be.

The little puppy is 3 months old, to the day, and I was wondering if it's time to teach heeling etc?

I think it is time for serious training, or is she too young? I have no interest in a "hunting" dog, but I hate uncontrollable dogs. I want her to heell, sit (she understands "sit" but doesn't want to stay long), come (she does come) etc etc..

Just basic stuff.

thanks

Bouvier/malemute? I bet the puppies were gorgeous ;-)

Wolfman

horshur
03-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks guys. I guess 3 months old is old enough. She is just so enthusiastic, she runs around on the leash, trying to catch up to her mom!:biggrin:

It was driving me nuts, so half way through the run, I just shortened up the leash and held her firm to my side. Not easy, and she seems like she is choking herself in her exuberance.

Liek ay thing else, the more time/effort you put in the more the rewards will be.

You do not want to hold the dog firm.. they just keep pulling that way.
The reward will be the release..like Clints pinch collar. Uncomfortable pulling but pretty decent when not. To hang onto a dog and wrestle will be a sure way of hanging on to the dog and wrestleing forever.

Gateholio
03-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Okay, i'll get her a collar like that. Makes perfect sense.

Wolfman, the puppies were gorgeous, there were 8 of them and they didn't last long.:p

Islandeer
03-31-2008, 04:23 PM
More things to try, ignore her, make her want to be with you. Don't train her yet with the mom around. On leash practice standing with her at your side, praise and treat her only when she is perfect,be patient and don't do more than 5 minutes at a time. When she pulls and is naughty crate her for a few minutes, then bring her out and try it once. And yes, make her wait in the kennel before you release her.

Gateholio
03-31-2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks

ANy links to this "pinch collar" I hear a real "choke collar" isn't a great idea for a puppy.

Islandeer
03-31-2008, 09:33 PM
Try Retriever supply or Gun Dog Central or link up to the HRC site.

Sharkey
03-31-2008, 09:52 PM
What I used for my lab, is called a Halti - it looks like a horse halter with a loop that goes over the snout. When the dog pulls, it tightens up and brings the dog's head to the side, which encourages the theory that 'where the head goes, the body will follow'. My dog got used to it fairly quickly. It's not a muzzle at all - the dog can still open his mouth and pant etc...
Here's a link to see what it looks like, but you can pick one up in most pet stores.

http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/halti.php

Dirty
03-31-2008, 10:42 PM
What I used for my lab, is called a Halti - it looks like a horse halter with a loop that goes over the snout. When the dog pulls, it tightens up and brings the dog's head to the side, which encourages the theory that 'where the head goes, the body will follow'. My dog got used to it fairly quickly. It's not a muzzle at all - the dog can still open his mouth and pant etc...
Here's a link to see what it looks like, but you can pick one up in most pet stores.

http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/halti.php

These are good but 1) Don't eliminate the problem 2) Should not be used on young dogs as they can break their necks if they get out of control.

03-31-2008, 10:49 PM
Our dog was 2 when we got her from the SPCA. Shep X with an Aussie Cattle Dog (we think). She likes to be ahead and pull.

2 words-

Bite collar.

If you don't want that, there is a way that worked up until our baby came along and the rebellious side of our dog came out....:roll:

We enlisted the services of Barkbusters for training (good for somethings not all)....one of the things they push is to use the word...BAH!! and say it like you mean it.

Get a collar that makes noise or you can make the noise by scuffing one of your feet onto the ground and giving the BAH!! command.

I found that when Cola would get ahead on the lead, I would scuff my foot loudly, say BAH!! loudly and give the leash a tug. She got it within the first 2 times. Bring the dog back to where you want it to heel and then, positive praise is a must, because the dog thinks you're ticked at them or something.

I swear the previous owners were boneheads because although she knew hand signals, she didn't know what a ball was, or even what a stick was. Any kind of loud noise she hates and even a crowd of people she gets skittish. She has really come along way since we've had her, but as someone pointed out earlier, the sooner you get started with the training, the better :cool:.

Phoneguy
04-02-2008, 01:42 PM
[quote=.303;267608]Our dog was 2 when we got her from the SPCA. Shep X with an Aussie Cattle Dog (we think). She likes to be ahead and pull.

OK, so you live close to me and your dog sounds a lot like Monti (who died in November). Is your dogs name Pepsi by any chance?

James

Just saw a pic in the post on dogs, not the same beast I was thinking of.

GoatGuy
04-02-2008, 02:39 PM

Just basic stuff.

thanks

Now is definitely not too early.

I trained my pup on a regular collar and leash. As soon as the dog starts pulling stop walking. Just get her thinking that you're in charge - lots of starting and stopping, sitting and consistent application of the heel command. Switch up the direction a lot. After a while if becomes second nature and no command is required. My dog now heels better without a leash now and never has a collar on.

Start the training in short bursts and always keep the dog on her toes so that she understands that you're the one who calls the shots so that she's paying attention.

Training several things like sit, down and patience with regards to food will help the heeling bit too. Being consistent and spending lots of time are probably the most important parts.

Beverly
04-06-2008, 12:11 AM

Just basic stuff.

thanks

Malamutes are bred to pull lol. I don't agree with the pinch collar at her age (adults ya but she is a baby!) needs to be trained & to learn. It really is over-kill with a puppy. More often than not people screw up their dogs with them because they do not use them correctly / over use them and don't use it to with the right timing which is key.

With my Malamutes and all the malamutes I have fostered over the years (retrained for new homes) I have simply taught them to PULL on command and walk on command. If she knows which is which she will understand better what you are asking. I use a harness with the pull command and a leash with the walk command...they really are quite quick to pick of the difference. If you teach to pull...she can pull sleds / fire wood / whatever.

Most Malamutes are highly food motivated and to teach walk with a major puller I will keep treats in my pocket. I drop a treat right by my leg and if they are pulling ahead they will miss it lol. They soon learn that staying right by your side pays off ....then I just slowly stop the treats. Maybe I drop one once every 10 feet at first and in the end after a couple weeks maybe once-twice on a walk, eventually no treats. They still figure a treat might by some miracle fall outta that pocket so they continue to heel :)

Beverly
04-06-2008, 12:14 AM
http://www.malamuterescue.com/alphatraining.html

Here is an article on basic training for malamutes from our site.