PDA

View Full Version : Getting an Alberta hunting license???

kootenayelkslayer
03-29-2008, 03:14 PM
How does a BC resident with a hunting license go about getting an Alberta license (WIN card)? Is it just as simple as going in to any vendor and buying one?

bruin
03-29-2008, 03:21 PM
You need to have a hunter host (Alberta Resident) with a valid WIN Card that will co-sign with you, putting their WIN Number on your license. You can go to a vendor such as Co-op or Canadian Tire and they will give you a temporary paper copy of you WIN and your tags and you can start hunting that day. Or you could do it through the mail.

kootenayelkslayer
03-29-2008, 05:07 PM
You need to have a hunter host (Alberta Resident) with a valid WIN Card that will co-sign with you, putting their WIN Number on your license. You can go to a vendor such as Co-op or Canadian Tire and they will give you a temporary paper copy of you WIN and your tags and you can start hunting that day. Or you could do it through the mail.

So i would get my own WIN or would I kind of be sharing the same number with the co-signer??
I'm not looking to buy tags or anything, but I just need the WIN for work this spring I believe.

Thunderstix
03-29-2008, 05:25 PM
You have to get your own WIN card like bruin said. I went hunting there last fall. With the WIN card purchase, white tail tag and me paying my buddies hunter host fee it was $186.00

Seeadler
03-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Just go and get a WIN card, I think it is $8, you'll need it to buy either a fishing licence of a hunting licence. It is good for 5 years.

Then you need a hunter host to actually buy licences and tags (and Alberta actually has ski tag type tags). As a Non-Resident, you are limited in the tags you can buy and the draws you can put into, you must put in with an Albertan for everything except sheep and are limited to bull moose, muley buck, and trophy antelope for draws IIRC. I don't think there are many restrictions on GOS tags for Non- Residents.

killman
03-30-2008, 04:22 PM
What would you need to shoot gophers? Besides a gun and ammo.

kootenayelkslayer
03-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Just go and get a WIN card, I think it is $8, you'll need it to buy either a fishing licence of a hunting licence. It is good for 5 years.

Then you need a hunter host to actually buy licences and tags (and Alberta actually has ski tag type tags). As a Non-Resident, you are limited in the tags you can buy and the draws you can put into, you must put in with an Albertan for everything except sheep and are limited to bull moose, muley buck, and trophy antelope for draws IIRC. I don't think there are many restrictions on GOS tags for Non- Residents.

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-07-2008, 06:22 PM
What would you need to shoot gophers? Besides a gun and ammo.

Landowners permission ....Same goes for Yotes too

No license or tags required

Dirty
04-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Mike I think non residents need to buy a tag for coyotes if you can believe that. KES, The regulations are available online. I am going out in May to have my GF's dad become my hunter host and get a WIN card. If you haven't gone by then I'll let you know how it goes. I want to start putting in for draws.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-08-2008, 03:12 PM
I dont think so re: Yotes ... Granted I never looked it up ... as Residents dont need licence or tags for Yotes ...

If so ..phew ... Good thing I never actually got a shot at a Yote while I was at My Buddys ranch before Easter.... ;)

ovis40
04-15-2008, 09:54 PM
Canadian Non-residents must be accompanied by a licensed guide or hunter host to hunt coyotes in Alberta. Tag is $11.50. You can hunt anytime of year on privite land. Oct. 1st to Feb 28 on public land. http://www.albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/

costellojoj
09-01-2008, 11:25 PM
If you are hunting upland birds or mig birds you don't need an Alberta host/guide. In fact, if you are shooting released birds on a private preserve you don't need a prov hunting licence. Also, don't forget that in much of Southern Alta you cannot hunt on Sunday.

Springer
09-25-2008, 02:48 AM
KootenayES it is so much easier to get a licence in AB.No wait time like your permit to accompany and yes tags are cheaper for BC residents coming here than us going to BC.
You can also put draws in for Sheep and Elk. Srupp is hunting Muley on his draw here this year along with general Whitey and in 2 more years Antelope and Moose. The key is to get your WIN and get those draws rolling to get your priorities up.

Timberjack
11-17-2008, 09:28 PM
...As a Non-Resident, you are limited in the tags you can buy and the draws you can put into, you must put in with an Albertan for everything except sheep and are limited to bull moose, muley buck, and trophy antelope for draws IIRC. I don't think there are many restrictions on GOS tags for Non- Residents.

I assume there are definitions for Trophy animals? I could go to the regs etc but just wondering if anyone has the quick answer. I would like to go there for an antelope hunt next year, and would like to come home witha big one if possible...

thx
TJ

The 'Hummer'
11-17-2008, 09:47 PM
I assume there are definitions for Trophy animals? I could go to the regs etc but just wondering if anyone has the quick answer. I would like to go there for an antelope hunt next year, and would like to come home witha big one if possible...

thx
TJ

I've been to Alberta on two Mule Deer draws, the 1st in 2004 and the 2nd was this year, a week ago actually. Anyway, about a four year span for a Mule Deer draw. I 'think' it's about a seven year wait for an Antelope so I think I should be successful in about another two or three years.
You're in Gold River? I logged there, years ago.

Caveman
11-17-2008, 10:58 PM
KootenayES it is so much easier to get a licence in AB.No wait time like your permit to accompany and yes tags are cheaper for BC residents coming here than us going to BC.
You can also put draws in for Sheep and Elk. Srupp is hunting Muley on his draw here this year along with general Whitey and in 2 more years Antelope and Moose. The key is to get your WIN and get those draws rolling to get your priorities up.

Phil, can an Alberta hunter Host/Guide more than one non-resident?? I don't mean on the same hunt, but for purposes of getting their WIN #

WoodOx
11-17-2008, 11:13 PM
gettin their WIN yes you can Greg. he can tonly hos tone hunter for draw purposes however

goatdancer
11-18-2008, 12:50 PM
You don't need a host to get a WIN card. A WIN card is required for fishing as well as hunting licenses. You do need a host for hunting licenses and tags.

cohod
11-20-2008, 08:42 PM
all your questions can be answered here:

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/

cohod