PDA

View Full Version : Hmm - Cutlets, eh?

Bow Walker
03-28-2008, 08:22 AM
That thread about beefy asparagus brought to mind another dinner that I like to make, with cutlets - pounded thin, like schnitzel.

Take a thin slice of the meat, best part is from the hip or round, and put it between two sheets of Saran wrap or wax paper. Take a mallet or a meat hammer that has a wide, flat surface to it. Lightly pound the cutlet out to an even thickness of about 1/4". Do the pounding with light blows or the meat will tear apart and disintegrate.

Next, take some large prawns and remove the vein down the back. Butterfly them open and set aside. You can leave the tail on for presentation.

Take a shallot or two and dice them up very fine. Add some finely chopped mushroom. Add some finely chopped bacon. Mix all the chopped up ingredients together and add a bit of fine bread crumbs.

Stuff the butterflied prawns with the stuffing mixture and wrap them up in the pieces of pounded game cutlets.

Lightly pan fry, or grill, or bbq the wrapped prawns until they are cooked, usually about 3 - 5 minutes per side is plenty. Keep the heat at about medium to avoid burning the meat before the prawn is cooked. I like to do it in a skillet with a touch of melted butter mixed with a bit of olive oil.

Serve with the veggies, rice, or salad of choice. You can make a light Hollandaise, or even just heat up some packaged Alfredo sauce - it's all good.

Try a Pinot Gris with the dish - you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Dannybuoy
03-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Mmm sounding pretty good there Bow Walker !
I really have to try both of those recipes !:-D

tomahawk
03-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Wow, that sounds good. I am going to have to give this a try, I like to cook.
I use round steak and pound it as hard as I can without any covers and it works fine, the meat stays together if you watch it closely and don't over beat it.

frenchbar
03-28-2008, 03:59 PM
That thread about beefy asparagus brought to mind another dinner that I like to make, with cutlets - pounded thin, like schnitzel.

Take a thin slice of the meat, best part is from the hip or round, and put it between two sheets of Saran wrap or wax paper. Take a mallet or a meat hammer that has a wide, flat surface to it. Lightly pound the cutlet out to an even thickness of about 1/4". Do the pounding with light blows or the meat will tear apart and disintegrate.

Next, take some large prawns and remove the vein down the back. Butterfly them open and set aside. You can leave the tail on for presentation.

Take a shallot or two and dice them up very fine. Add some finely chopped mushroom. Add some finely chopped bacon. Mix all the chopped up ingredients together and add a bit of fine bread crumbs.

Stuff the butterflied prawns with the stuffing mixture and wrap them up in the pieces of pounded game cutlets.

Lightly pan fry, or grill, or bbq the wrapped prawns until they are cooked, usually about 3 - 5 minutes per side is plenty. Keep the heat at about medium to avoid burning the meat before the prawn is cooked. I like to do it in a skillet with a touch of melted butter mixed with a bit of olive oil.

Serve with the veggies, rice, or salad of choice. You can make a light Hollandaise, or even just heat up some packaged Alfredo sauce - it's all good.

Try a Pinot Gris with the dish - you'll be pleasantly surprised.Im hungary all of a sudden:-)Sounds good!

betteroffishing
03-28-2008, 09:34 PM
the main purpose of the top sheet while pounding is to p[rotect your kitchen from raw meat splatter,

tomahawk
03-29-2008, 07:13 AM
the main purpose of the top sheet while pounding is to p[rotect your kitchen from raw meat splatter,

I don't get that much spatter (but there is some) at all and I hit the meat with as much force as I need so that it breaks down the muscle grain of the meat.

Bow Walker
03-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Half a dozen gentle taps ae better than one or two good whacks.....but I'm sure you already know that.

tomahawk
03-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Half a dozen gentle taps ae better than one or two good whacks.....but I'm sure you already know that.

I just kind of hit it as hard as I need to make the meat compress and keep at it till the grain is tender, wouldn't really say I'm beating the tar out of it but I ain't being too gentle either.
Regardless you have passed on a great lookin recipe and look forward to givin it a try.