PDA

View Full Version : Going Carbon

OOBuck
03-18-2008, 08:43 AM
Well, I'm switching to carbons.

I went with aluminums when I got my new bow but after trying a few carbon flights on the weekend YOWZA! The flight and speed gains are huge!

Dragginbait
03-18-2008, 09:42 AM
Welcome to the club8)

lanakiwesley
03-18-2008, 10:00 AM
I recently changed from aluminum to carbon. I bought the arrows at the shooting range and immediately begin using them. Within ten minutes I had a problem. I made the mistake of shooting at the same bullseye each time and put an arrow in an arrow. I dont know if it was due to the flatter tragectory or my bow was in perfect tune but it was an expensive lesson!!! Just a heads up!

kloosterboer
03-18-2008, 10:04 AM
Ya they sure are nice a couple years ago i made the switch to carbons on my Jr Bow. And never looked back

J_T
03-18-2008, 10:37 AM
Yup, I put carbons on my recurve this year and there is just something about the lethality in their flight. From a hunting perspective, I'm very satisfied.

I've always shot woods.

greybark
03-18-2008, 10:41 AM
:confused: Before you change over check out Fred Asbery(sp) latest report on arrow toughness . For hunting he found that carbon shafts tended to be the weakest and had a tendency to break off at the end of the adapter when hitting just to the side of rib . He extended the adapter up to 6 in and the results were the same .
Some food for thought .--- Cheers

sealevel
03-18-2008, 10:44 AM
I think fred ashbery was sniffing to much fletching glue. :?::razz:

Onesock
03-18-2008, 11:07 AM
His anme is Dr Ed Ashby. I don't think he sniff's glue. I don't agree carbons are the weakest though.

J_T
03-18-2008, 12:04 PM
I used Carbons on my goat hunt this past year. They stood up to the "rock" quite well. What I did notice though, after the carbons have come in solid contact, the spine changes. Might mean that the fibers are breaking down.

The arrows I set up for my recurve flew extremely well out of two compound bows as well.

OOBuck
03-18-2008, 12:34 PM
The reason I went with aluminum originally is I still remember the "glass,shafts" causing some major injuries back in the day.

The tragectory is night & day, speed no compairison ...

Let me put it this way, when I first got the bow watching the arrows flight was hard as I use to shoot bare, fingers my eyes got use to it and I was able to follow the arrow. After shooting the carbons on the weekend they come out of this thing like a bullet and are gone.. I'll have to train my eyes again..:)

03-18-2008, 12:43 PM
I use carbon force arrows. Very reliable!