PDA

View Full Version : Another new rifle question

Whonnock_3
03-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Hello everyone, the always popular question....which rifle to get? Now I have a chance at a new A-bolt stainless stalker in 7mm (LH), A used Tikka M65 in .300 Win with a scope (LH) , not sure what type, or they have a Rem 700 in .300 Ultra Mag. Trying to keep the price below $1500. Being very new to this any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW it's for deer to moose if that helps. Again thanks for the help.

Schutzen
03-17-2008, 06:02 PM
I have the M-65 in 7MM Rem mag, mine has performed flawlessly since I bought it in 78. It has a excellent trigger, free-floated bbl, Clip magazine, and out of the box a well deserved rep for great accuracy.
I also have the same rifle in 243. Win.
Both of mine shot into 1/2" @100yds right out of the box with hunting hand loads.
I would highly recommend it.

todbartell
03-17-2008, 06:11 PM
whatever you decide, make sure it is chambered in a magnum cartridge

KodiakHntr
03-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Very new to this? I'd avoid that 300 Ultra Mag. That isn't a caliber you can just pick up and shoot. Recoil is violent.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the one I have, but if you aren't a really experienced shooter you will not get the most out of it, and it could really screw up your shooting form for a long time, if not irreperably. My two cents anyway.

gerrygoat
03-18-2008, 06:39 AM
I agree with Kodiak on the 300 Ultra Ultra Mag. I would handle all the rifles that you can and pick the one that feels the most comfortable. I had a 30-06 that felt worse than a 300 Win Mag because of an ill fitting (for me) stock. One advantage of a a more common caliber is that you can find ammo almost anywhere and cheaper epecially at a store like a Canadian Tire. I am assuming that you were at a gun shop looking at these guns, if you like the feel of the Remington have them order you one in in a caliber like the 30-06 or 7mm Rem Mag. The used Tikka you mentioned would be a fine choice if you decide to go that route.

kutenay
03-18-2008, 07:30 AM
The best choice here is the Tikka 65, by far. It is a FAR superior rifle to the A-bolt, which are notorious for mechanical glitches and are being replaced by Browning; it is also a better made and higher quality rifle than the Rem. 700.

The .300 Win. is probably the best magnum round for most hunters, much superior to the 7RemM. and is VERY popular,so, ammo will never be a problem. Of all the common pushfeed rifles, this Tikka and the Sakos are easily the best and usually shoot "bugholes".

I would grab that Tikka and never look back.

boxhitch
03-18-2008, 10:48 AM
whatever you decide, make sure it is chambered in a magnum cartridgeCareful, someone might think you are serious.

todbartell
03-18-2008, 12:33 PM
hey, we're talking about a hunting rifle here. more power = more deadly! ;)

BeerBaitnAmmo
03-18-2008, 06:53 PM
I think you should buy two and give one to your hunting partner...... :)

Whonnock_3
03-18-2008, 07:36 PM
The Tikka does have the most "bang for the buck" so to speak. Comes basically as a package deal, Scope, sling, I think some ammo? $1300, and the A-bolt is $1020 as is. Being a lefty though I couldn't see myself giving the "other" gun to my hunting partner, although it would be funny watching the hot brass bouncing off his forehead:biggrin:

Caveman
03-18-2008, 07:42 PM
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the one I have, but if you aren't a really experienced shooter you will not get the most out of it, and it could really screw up your shooting form for a long time, if not irreperably. My two cents anyway.

Not to mention the way you look in a mirror after that nasty scope bite!! :eek:

ROM
03-18-2008, 07:53 PM
I'd take the ultra mag off the list due to violent recoil. Then I would get the best of both worlds by buying a 300 WSM in savage with a new leupold scope. 300 wm power with 7mm recoil. IMHV the ammo argument is way over used. Do you ever hear weatherby owners complain?

just my 2c.

R

Whonnock_3
03-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Saw a guy at the range breaking in a new Weatherby in .300 Wby. Nice rifle, not so nice price tag...$2500 or so with a scope...Recoil is something I'm willing to live with as a sacrifice for being left-handed, kinda limits my options.
Thanks for the input so far, it's helping me form an idea.

gerrygoat
03-19-2008, 05:26 PM
I'm a lefty too and you are right there isn't as much choice but there are a fair amount of guns. If you are open to suggestions why not look at the LH Remington XCR coming out soon and the Ruger 77 stainless laminate as well. Remingtons are usually quite accurate and the Rugers are pretty tough rifles with good accuracy potential.

TimberPig
03-19-2008, 06:28 PM
Saw a guy at the range breaking in a new Weatherby in .300 Wby. Nice rifle, not so nice price tag...$2500 or so with a scope...Recoil is something I'm willing to live with as a sacrifice for being left-handed, kinda limits my options.
Thanks for the input so far, it's helping me form an idea.

Living with recoil that is beyond your tolerance for recoil, particularly if you don't have experience with harder kicking rifles can lead to flinching. If you have a rifle that kicks you silly and you begin flinching, you will not be able to shoot accurately, which in a hunting situation leads to missed shots at best, and wounded, lost animals at worst.

How much experience with rifles in the class of a 300 magnum do you have? If you don't have much, the first few boxes will wake you up. Reduced recoil loads will help substantially to let you get comfortable with the gun without getting kicked excessively. A smaller caliber/chambering that recoils less will kill anything in BC, you don't require a magnum to hunt anything, although more power is good if grizzlies are involved, so long as you can shoot it accurately. Magnums have their place and there is no reason not to have one if you can handle it and need it.

Don't jump on a gun simply because it is available if it is not the right one for you. Left handed rifles are more limited in supply, but are available. Some patience and waiting for the right one to come along will get you the right gun for your needs.

Whonnock_3
03-19-2008, 11:41 PM
None to familiar with the 300 magnum. Largest rounds I've had the chance at are .308 and my 3" 12 gauge. I'm not comitted to buy anything yet. Fall is a ways off yet. 300 mag is probably as high as I'd want to go right now, I keep getting a funny pull in the 7mm direction. They seem to be an alright size from guys I've conversed with.

Tinney
03-20-2008, 12:02 AM
If the highest cal you've ever shot is a 308, jumping to a 300mag may not be a great idea. 7mm mag is a good choice. For a lefty with $1500, brand new Tikka T3 Hunter LH 7mm mag topped with scope of choice is my thought on the matter

TimberPig
03-20-2008, 06:40 AM
Have you checked the Rifle/Shotgun/Bow exhcnage on here? There are 2 left handed rifles on here, a Winchester Model 70 7mm WSM and a Remington 700 CDL in .30-06. Either would be excellent choices, with less recoil.

boxhitch
03-20-2008, 07:07 AM
Everyone knows the 30-06 is the most popular, boring cartridge there is. It kills anything in BC and then some, easy to buy ammo for, lots of economical loads as well as hi-end premiums. Everyone has one or knows someone with one.
But its not cool. Nor a magnum.

ElectricDyck
03-20-2008, 09:50 AM
Everyone knows the 30-06 is the most popular, boring cartridge there is. It kills anything in BC and then some, easy to buy ammo for, lots of economical loads as well as hi-end premiums. Everyone has one or knows someone with one.
But its not cool. Nor a magnum.

I ordered my 30- 06 tikka t3 lite, synthetic stock, blued barerel with a leupold vari x2 scope and opti lok mounts from wholesale sports for $1300 taxes in. Not a fancy gun, but very easy to carry and shoot. I'm very happy with it, although the same gun in 338 would be better peace of mind in Grizzly country.:biggrin:

BowSitter
03-22-2008, 10:20 AM
I just got a used Ruger M77 in 300 win mag with muzzle brake and it shoots like a cream puff! Topped off with a brand new 3200 elite it was less than 700.00.:D

McRackin
03-23-2008, 09:42 AM
id go for the 700

Benthos
03-24-2008, 09:06 AM
what kind of scope does your 300 come with? $1300 seems a bit steep for a use tikka and scope

i'd buy a brand new ruger in 300 Win Mag (or WSM) and top it with a Leupold VX2.

good value for the money and you'll never "need" another gun, although you should probably buy many more

Whonnock_3
03-24-2008, 05:58 PM
After looking around at websites...haven't had much time to go around to the local shops, I've come up with something of what I'd like the gun to look like...because that's almost as important as to what kind of round it shoots. Stainless barrel/action(preferably in a matte finish) , composite stock(for weight) and the caliber is still to be determined. To bad my Lee Enfield is a righty.

FLHTCUI
03-27-2008, 09:54 AM
My buddy just bought the tikka lightwight in 30:06 from a shop in langley for like 700.00 this waas the synthetic stock and stainless also.
Being left handed shouldnt be a problem for the gun shops around , if they really wanna sell you a leftie is pick up the phone and call one of the several distributors and get it , might take a day or two but thats it.
I have had several Browning A bolts and no issues with them at all.
t really boils down to the best bang for the buck and which store will help you find the right gun /calibre for You.
Just my .02 worth.
Rob

Mr. Friendly
05-03-2008, 12:05 AM
I'm a greenhorn/tinhorn...but comments from the lefties make me want to speak up. I'm not a lefty, but my younger brother is and he swears he needs a left gun, but reading thru the CORE manual, it stated that it's best to shoot on the side of your dominant eye. he writes lefty, but his dominate eye is right.

what do you lefty's have to say about that? :confused:

huntwriter
05-03-2008, 08:29 AM
I'm a greenhorn/tinhorn...but comments from the lefties make me want to speak up. I'm not a lefty, but my younger brother is and he swears he needs a left gun, but reading thru the CORE manual, it stated that it's best to shoot on the side of your dominant eye. he writes lefty, but his dominate eye is right.

what do you lefty's have to say about that? :confused:

I am left-handed too but my dominant eye is on the right side. When I was a kid there were no left-handed gadgets and tools whatsoever, we had to accommodate or relearn.

This may be the reason why left-handed people generally smarter than right-handed people.:biggrin:

Learning to shot a right handed gun is no big deal, shooting a bow right handed however needs a bit more dedication and time.

mwj
05-03-2008, 08:46 AM
i'm also lefty with right eye dominant and i shoot right handed too

BCTRUCKER
05-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Buy the a-bolt, or a ruger 77 cant go wrong. I own both makes and never had a problem with either of them. Both can be very accurate. But pick a caliber that suits your type of hunting. If you are hunting mostly deer and the occasional moose or elk , you don't need a magnum. There are a lot of good non - magnum calibers to chose from. But buy a good scope.