PDA

View Full Version : Knife Hunting in New Zealand+funny backpack

Nailgunslinger
03-15-2008, 11:19 PM
LoL funny vid I uploaded. I dare you to try the pack move with a deer haha!:-P

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e294/Aurik007/?action=view&current=FredsPigHunt.flv

mark
03-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Daaaam that looks like alot of fun! Someone should tell them guys about packframes!

boxhitch
03-16-2008, 07:36 PM
I asked a couple of guys about the pack idea, they said 'why carry something around all day , that you may not need ? ' They don't bother with the frivolous stuff.
The true origin of 'piggy-back ride'.

Wolfman
03-16-2008, 08:28 PM
We see guys doing that all the time here in east Van - only they are usually not doing it to pigs ;-) ;-)

Wolfman

Nailgunslinger
03-16-2008, 09:51 PM
I asked a couple of guys about the pack idea, they said 'why carry something around all day , that you may not need ? ' They don't bother with the frivolous stuff.
The true origin of 'piggy-back ride'.

Yea lol I agree with the concept in theory... In real life, I would be scared of the jerk shooting at me because I looked like a deer. People have been shot for less. I'd at least put an orange bag over it or a camo one. I'd also hide the horns haha.

boxhitch
03-16-2008, 10:25 PM
Good idea. Hunters have been shot at for looking like a grouse (true story), so better be safe with a deer.
Interesting to watch the dogs work, too. I guess a good team will have one on the ear and one on the gonads, to help slow the boar down. Bet its easier to find with all that squealing going on too !

Wild one
03-17-2008, 11:25 AM
That looks like too much fun and I think I will have to add it to the list of hunts I need to do before I die.

Nailgunslinger
03-18-2008, 11:00 PM
That looks like too much fun and I think I will have to add it to the list of hunts I need to do before I die.

Yea I read an article somewhere about native Hawaiians doing it in a more rambo style way with no dogs. Waiting above its den or in a tree then pouncing on it. Might have been from that states website.. Anyway that would be badass, doing it Locke from lost style lol.:smile:

308BAR
03-18-2008, 11:21 PM
Wow, ROLMAO love they way they pack piggypacked it out the pig out.

todbartell
03-18-2008, 11:34 PM
wow I dont know what to say to that...:shock:

Stone Sheep Steve
03-19-2008, 12:20 PM
A co-worker is from New Zealand. He said there are ~25,000 guys with subscriptions to the magazine "Pig Hunter".:cool:

He also said the pigs will seek out lambs during lambing season.
Some ranchers put out potatoes for them with detenators in them.

They don't mess around down there:cool:.

SSS

David Heitsman
03-19-2008, 07:03 PM
The guides put on a bit of a show for us down under in NZ a couple years back and used some dogs to kill a pig. I had been hunting stags, tahr, chamois and fallow deer with Gary Herberts outfit and we were near the end of the trip.

They take their dogs and lace up these heavy leather collars to protect them from their shoulders up to their ears before releasing them on pigs.
The pigs that they were looking at lived in these thorn patches and off they all went.
The cay aying was intense and I didn't attempt to go into the brambles but mostly skirted the sides. After about an hour o so the two guides came out each carrying something. One had the pig that he had reached
in and knifed and the other carried the lead dog. Apparently is was the main bitch that they had used for years but unfortunately the leather collar didn't keep the tusks from shredding her torso in the tight confines of the thorn plants. I guess you'd call it a revenge killing by the guides.

The pigs were just black and white, basically haired up farm pigs with minimal tusks otherwise I would have shot one. Wasn't interested in paying the trophy fee if they weren't the Russian style with long tusks.

rocksteady
03-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Kinda cruel (to the pig)that the dogs have to do all the work and hold it for the guy...Muzzle them so they can't bite the pig and hold it, then make the hunter try to kill it with a knife...That would be interesting...