PDA

View Full Version : looking for a started hound pup

chilcotin hillbilly
03-15-2008, 09:20 AM
I lost my best dog, to a cougar a year ago. I don't run more than 3 dogs at a time. Some times I think 2 dogs are even better if they are good,quick dogs, to many dogs get in the way of each other during a ground fight. right now I only have a walker pup and a bordercollie lab cross. I am looking for a male 1 year and younger with leadership qualities. Bluetick,Black and Tan, or Walker would do.

houndogger
03-15-2008, 09:36 PM
A tough find good luck.

Spokerider
03-16-2008, 09:24 AM
The word "started" means different things to different folk, and how it pertains to their quarry and hunting style.

In the hound world, a lightly started hound with good genetics might be 1-2 yrs old, been under a few trees in the accompaniment of other seasoned dogs but cannot yet get the job done itself. Cost: $500-2000 depending...

A well started hound, [ provided it has been hunted consistantly ] and again, depending on quarry etc, is a good prospect as the dog's traits / strengths and faults are becoming apparent. These dogs are usually older, 2 yrs - 4yrs old and command a higher price.....$2000-5000 and even a lot more!

A 1 year old hound is not even mentally mature, and therefore is still a "pup", and will behave like a pup, and cannot be expected to hunt like a mature dog. About the best you can do is look for a pup that has the hereditary and qualities in the parents and siblings that you desire and seek for your hunting needs, as the offspring are products of their lines, good and bad traits.

A hound pup is just like a lottery ticket, you take a chance, wait a year or two, and hope you have a winner.

Just my thoughts....

southsider
03-30-2008, 06:37 PM
I have two started blue ticks, both female, for sale. They are sisters, born in May two years ago. They have been on a few cougars already, they know what to do, yet need more practise. I also have a finished redbone; he is three years old, and he has seen over 50 cats already. If you are interested, call me @ (250) 694 - 3719. Mike.