PDA

View Full Version : Whelping bitches diet

Islandeer
03-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Our Lab Gem is with pups. Ultrasound showed at least 7 so for a 63 lb lab that is a lot to grow, especially when the male is 85 lbs. We have had our dogs on the raw diet, but on advice from experianced breeders have switched to a high grade Kibble. We have been increasing her volume by 10 % a week so with 4 weeks to go she is getting about 3.75 cups a day.
Any other breeders with diet advice? www.members.ca/roccosexplorer (http://www.members.ca/roccosexplorer)

HighTideChessies
03-15-2008, 01:26 PM
I can't comment on kibble, but I can tell you what we did for our female's last litter that worked for us. Some vets and breeders suggested we switch to kibble, other vets and breeders said to stay on the raw diet she was used to. We chose to stay on raw and were really happy with the results.

Our female is about 65-70 lbs and usually gets 750g of raw food daily. During the last month of her pregnancy we increased this by 25% and then 50% and doubled the food while she was nursing and weaning. We supplemented raspberry leaf tea (good for the uterus) during the last 5 weeks and continued until the pups were weaned. Because of the raw diet of chicken,lamb,turkey, bones & veg, we didn't feel a need to supplement calcium. We continued the usual supplements we add with her raw diet - omega 3,6,9 oil, canine plus vitamins, kelp and alfalfa, and goat's yogurt or PB8 (probiotic).

She had 8 really nice pups ranging in weight from 400-460g, she whelped them all in about 4 hours with no complications (touch wood!), and although she ate all the placentas she never had loose stools etc. that usually follow whelping.

It's a balance to strive for - you want to keep the mom healthy and have healthy pups without having them grow too fast or too big. (the sire is 85+ pounds also). Is this her first litter? Best wishes!

HighTideChessies

ps. We had a daily "chat" with our female, mentioned we'd get her a nice bowl of frozen yogurt after whelping if she could have the pups during the day or evening and she didn't disappoint... started whelping around 6:30 pm and was all done and nursing her pups well-before 11pm. It's a blessing when all goes well and I wish the same for your Gem!

houndogger
03-15-2008, 09:38 PM
You are far better off sticking to your raw diet then any good kibble out there.

Islandeer
03-16-2008, 07:54 PM
That was my gut, got redirected somehow, will be okay I hope.