PDA

View Full Version : Pump or Automatic

spock
03-06-2008, 09:08 PM
What's your preference for waterfowling pump action or automatic.

Bow Walker
03-06-2008, 09:32 PM
How much money ya got??

First gun for me was a 16 ga. sinble shot - loved that gun. shot my first greenhead with it, in Buttertubs Marsh. Then shot my first double with it out on the Nan. River estuary.

Next was a 12 ga. Mossberg pump from Crappy Tire. I thought I was in heaven - until I realized the amount of ammo I was using compared to the number of edibles I was pluckin'. Tried awful hard to take my time and aim after that.

I tried an auto for a couple of hunts. Went thru a pile of ammo then, I can tell you. Way too easy to fire that third shot when it wasn't doing any good.

My fav? a pump action.

HighCountry
03-06-2008, 09:33 PM
For me I preference automatic way more faster.

Crazy_Farmer
03-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Learned how to shoot ducks with an 870, bought my first shotgun an 870 express pump, then sold that and moved up to a winchester sx2(auto) then bought a browning citori o/u. I still use the auto for pretty much everything I do and the gun fits me like a glove, I can say when I first got it the first couple hunts I really went through the shells but ever since then I've noticed myself only trying to take 2 quality shots instead of 3 random ones into the air.

K-1
03-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Remington Automaster 878, 2 3/4 12 ga.

slyfox
03-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Waterfowl 3 half inch pump upland 20 gauge.

todbartell
03-07-2008, 12:14 AM
hard to beat a pump, I used a BPS 3" for years and was happy with it. Now I got nothing, borrow a Nova 3.5" when I go out the few times I do now.

rishu_pepper
03-07-2008, 12:20 AM
Learned how to shoot ducks with an 870, bought my first shotgun an 870 express pump, then sold that and moved up to a winchester sx2(auto) then bought a browning citori o/u. I still use the auto for pretty much everything I do and the gun fits me like a glove, I can say when I first got it the first couple hunts I really went through the shells but ever since then I've noticed myself only trying to take 2 quality shots instead of 3 random ones into the air.

Sounds just like me! I learned with my 870, then moved on to the SX3. All I need now is an O/U to finish the cycle. :biggrin:

Ian F.
03-07-2008, 08:41 AM
I've got them all, single, S x S, O/U's, Pumps and Auto's, well not all I don't have the 1897 browning design lever, but there's still time?

I take what I feel like that day, plain and simple.

The 3rd shot is nice, especially as either a cripple smacker or if you are hunting tougher birds like divers and sea ducks were making them dead, stone dead is very important.

If pumping slows you and makes you pick your shots better get a pump, if pumping is more motion then your brain can handle to stay on target, get an auto.

If budget is tight, or you aren't sure waterfowling is your game, pick up an 870 express, $200-$300 and you won't loose a penny if you end up selling it.

Very best,

ian

spock
03-07-2008, 11:04 AM
I have both that is why I'm asking I've got a BPS and a Browning Gold. I got the automatic because it is faster but it seems like I put a lot more holes in the sky than I did with the pump.

Dano
03-07-2008, 11:24 AM
My first gun was also an 870 Wingmaster. I used this gun for almost 30 years although I bought many others. I always ended up with the old Wingmaster when I found myself questioning my shooting with any of the newer guns. When my kids came along, I didn't hunt much so the 870 worked out fine for the few occasions I went out.
A few years ago I hooked up with Ol' Dan and got back into serious waterfowl hunting. I was lent a Ithaca/SKB XL900 auto from my buddy Tom and I shot it well, I really liked the feel of the gun and found I felt less recoil. I decided to look for an auto. I ended up with a Browning auto-5 mag that a guy at work was selling from his fathers estate. This gun fits me well and I've probably shot more birds with this gun than in all the years I used the 870 combined. I also bought an SKB autoloader (same as the Ithaca, which SKB made) and I use it for upland and the occasional duck hunt. I doubt I'll shoot the 870 much anymore other than to revive the memories of hunting with dad and past hunts.
For me, the auto is my #1 gun.
Dan

Dano
03-07-2008, 11:28 AM
I have both that is why I'm asking I've got a BPS and a Browning Gold. I got the automatic because it is faster but it seems like I put a lot more holes in the sky than I did with the pump.

I shoot a lot of birds with my third shot but we decoy birds in close. Like CF mentioned, you have to learn what is a quality shot and not throw out the "Hail Mary" long bombs that are low percentage kills and high percentage misses or winged birds that aren't recovered.
Dan

Jager-mister?
03-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Learned to shoot with an old Ithaca pump my father found on a beach way back when he was about 16 (mid 50's). He got it all fixed up and shot it for many years. After we literally wore that poor old gun out, then progressed to a Remington 1187 Premier Auto with a custom fit stock that he shot. After he passed, I got the gun and still shoot it today. Fits like a glove, afraid to change until it won't shoot anymore. Brought down lots of ducks and geese!!

ROEBUCK
03-07-2008, 04:46 PM
aya s/s or my favorite gun my beretta xtrema neither ever let me down and have both killed thousands of birds, whilst pest controling ,upland game shooting and waterfowling not to mention rabbits

longshot
03-09-2008, 12:30 AM
I started with a SxS and now I use a Remington 870 Express Super Mag Syn. Fits me perfectly.

Longshot

diggerpax
03-16-2008, 11:40 PM
870 express- but I'm buying a Benelli SBE II before next season- I can't wait.

ibehuntin
03-17-2008, 12:36 AM
I started out with a Savage pump, but a few years back I bought a Beretta A390 auto and will never go back.

Qwa-honn
07-11-2008, 09:47 PM
I started a SxS 20 3"gauge ithica then after a couple of years went to a Winchester 2 3/4"pump model 1200 If i remember correctly. Then my dad got a rem. 870 express 3" Used that for a few more years. Now I have the winchester sx2 but I am now going to the Benelli Super Black Eagle 2 but I am keeping the SX2 as my back up. I still have the 870 for my boys and two girls when they get old enough.

eaglesnester
07-12-2008, 05:56 PM
This is an argument that will never ever go away. I have listened to for over 40 years. First as a dependent of a US Army MasterSgt with combat in Germany and Korea. Then I had to listen to it after I joined the Navy and got sent to the Marine Corps for another 20 years. That was the favorite subject at the rod and gun club in Bad Kreuznach Germany over a few beers after shooting skeet all afternoon. All of the kabitzers were prof solders most with combat experience and they could never agree on which was a faster, better shotgun, automatic or pump.

Marc
07-12-2008, 05:59 PM
I prefer an auto over a pump, has nothing to do with speed more to do with keeping on target.

frodo
07-12-2008, 06:21 PM
The day I moved to a O/U I started to take my time and become a better shot-so move to an O/U or SXS is my best advise,

FLHTCUI
07-13-2008, 11:51 AM
I miss my 870 Wingmaster, the reel Wingmaster no less, but what it boils down to are a couple of items, what fits (feel good ) and how much you can afford, cause in the end the waterfowl dont care what they die with.
Just my .02 worth ;)
Dam it is warm today
Rob

shotgunjohn
07-15-2008, 07:28 AM
My advice is to start with either , learn to shoot it well ,then after about thirty years switch cause everyone needs a new toy now and then.