PDA

View Full Version : Spawning trout

Hublocker
05-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Was up at a lake near Gold Bridge full of spawning trout.

Somebody said with no real running water into or out of the lake, the eggs weren't viable so we might as well eat one if we wanted.

Is this correct?

Steeleco
05-18-2005, 02:19 PM
It's been a long while since I was a serious fisherman, but I recall the scientists now thinking that the wave action along the shore line is enough to aerate the eggs layed close to the beach. Seems the fish have adapted over time to do what they need to do to survive. Last year at the Kane valley lakes the shoreline was awash with little fish. Far to little to have been put there.

Fred
05-18-2005, 07:18 PM
The Brook Trout in the landlocked lakes in the southern interior keep making little ones and they don't have creeks to lay their eggs in so I would assume that a creek is not strictly necessary. I should also like to point out an apperent anomoly that I observed on our farm in North Langley a couple of years ago.
We had a creek at the back of the property that occationally had Salmon come up it. For 2 years it had been almost dry and nothing had been able to come up the creek. There wasn't enough water at times for mosquitos! In the third season there was just a trace of water moving,not enough for a slamon. Shortly after the water started so did the smolts. These eggs must have lain dorment in the gravels for those prior 2 seasons to have been there. Yeah, I know, that isn't supposed to happen, but it did. Fred

Tuffcity
05-18-2005, 07:23 PM
As long as there is water upwelling by spring, perculation, subsurface run off, wave action, or what ever, shore spawning fish have a chance. Sockeye in the Shuswap system will shore spawn in places were the water receeds and leaves the eggs where they look like they should be high and dry, (like up to 20 feet from the water edge) but there is enough subterranian up-welling through the gravel that they hatch out when the water level comes up again.

If the trout in your lake shore spawn then chances are they also hatch out.

RC

bone-collector
05-18-2005, 08:40 PM
there is a little lake up here like that stocked with brookies quit a few years ago and they are doing rather well with no stream or river to speek of into it, best darn ice fishing in the country as well I have found:

5 minutes into the day
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/25Chris1.jpg