PDA

View Full Version : Chuckars

sfire436
03-01-2008, 08:49 PM
A little help here, my father is talking about heading up to the Cache Creek area in the early fall to hunt chuckars. He is adinemt that there are tons all around the sage brush country. Not that I dont believe dear ole dad but can anyone confirm this? Has anyone hunted these buggers?

slyfox
03-01-2008, 08:54 PM
There are lots of chukars in that area hunt buy the railroad tracks with a dog.

Muleycatcher
03-01-2008, 08:56 PM
lots of them around there..I grew up in spences bridge and used to hunt them from there to ashcroft and chache creek

c.r.hunter
03-01-2008, 09:57 PM
There are lots. I've walked up to loads of them while fishing the Thompson. The couple times I tried hunting them was a different story!!! Smart little buggers! If you don't have a dog, I would try getting a call. I've got a scotch that sounds really good. I've yet to try it though. If you watch them spook, they will scatter in all directions. Then they will call each other and fly back to eachother's sound.

Muleycatcher
03-01-2008, 11:22 PM
a dog is the way to go..but you can be quite successful just walking the railroad trakcs as they come down to eat the grain that falls off the cars.My uncle and dad and grandpa used to be quite successful doing this, and they never had a dog

bc sportsman
03-02-2008, 12:02 AM
Hey....sfire436!!! Your Dad wasn't exaggerating...you should always trust your Dad!!!