PDA

View Full Version : Training hounds

ex bc guide
05-16-2005, 08:34 PM
I have 2 hounds that are 9 months old a red bone and a black&tan,I am looking to see if there is anyone in the fraservalley that has good trained hounds that I could let mine run with and and and get some training in.
Thanks Mike

Barracuda
05-16-2005, 11:23 PM
Mike It is tough enough to find someone with any hounds let alone "Good Trained Hounds" LOL!
are you thinking of Bears now or are you still only gonna use the pups for Cats?
(I think Bears are the only things locally open right now)
did you pick up some tracking collars?

ex bc guide
05-16-2005, 11:34 PM
I have had the hounds out on 2 bears already, but I do not think that 2 dogs is enough to chase bears.just my p/o.
I have not been able to get collars yet,I have been dealing with a place in Missippi,no deal has been made yet. If I could geta good used set that would be good as well or find a dealer in Canada.
Mike

Sniper
05-17-2005, 04:44 PM
Hello Mike! My son and I have the 2 Redbones on the Island from Tony, our female is a litter mate to your pups. Jordan and I thought the best way for the dogs to learn to hunt was to put them out with a pack of experienced dogs on some hunts and let them learn on the job but it didn't work that way. When we put the young dogs in with a pack of Walkers that have treed about 90 cougars ( some times the same cat a number of times in the year) they where intimidated by the older dogs for the first 4 or 5 trips so they wouldn't join in until they started to feel like part of the pack. To make a long story short we realized the best training was to start from scratch, which we have, and follow the advice of the experienced houndog trainers. Jordan and I started by walking the dogs on a leash and strongly discouraging them from taking to deer and Elk tracks when they where pups. We have finaly got the dogs to road quite well and have introduced them to a live trapped feral cat and 2 live trapped racoons. Last week they learned to stay back about 12-18" from a racoon on the ground because they can and will bite a piece out of your nose. The dogs also learned racoons can climb trees (looked supprised)

Sniper
05-17-2005, 04:55 PM
I got a bit of a chuckle when the dogs looked supprised that a racoon can actualy walk right up a tree!:grin: At this point Mike the dogs will road excellent and take a cat or racoon track while showing not much interest in deer or elk, don't know about bears yet but hopefully they will ignore them. Next class for the dogs will be to get them to find the racoon in the tree (they loose the racoon when it goes up a tree) and stay at the tree. good luck! Ken & Jordan

ex bc guide
05-17-2005, 08:02 PM
Sounds like your dogs are doing good! I am still doing drags with mine they seem to be doing good with this.I need to trap me a coon so that they can play with it, I have a rolling cage I just need to get a coon to roll it!
Mike

K-1
05-17-2005, 08:07 PM
I have had the hounds out on 2 bears already, but I do not think that 2 dogs is enough to chase bears.just my p/o.
I have not been able to get collars yet,I have been dealing with a place in Missippi,no deal has been made yet. If I could geta good used set that would be good as well or find a dealer in Canada.
MikeI think you will chase alot of "Barneys" with just two dog's, unless they are very aggressive and can put alot of pressure on them. Have you tried useing them to blood trail and bay up a wounded bear, it will give young dogs a chance to build up some confidence.

ex bc guide
05-17-2005, 08:18 PM
K-1, I agree with you 2 dogs is not enough to chsae bears with. They chased a bear that had just been shot,we let them go on the blood trail but i am not sure that i would let them go on a bear track. My main goal is to chase cats!
Mike

K-1
05-17-2005, 08:23 PM
I got a bit of a chuckle when the dogs looked supprised that a racoon can actualy walk right up a tree!:D At this point Mike the dogs will road excellent and take a cat or racoon track while showing not much interest in deer or elk, don't know about bears yet but hopefully they will ignore them. Next class for the dogs will be to get them to find the racoon in the tree (they loose the racoon when it goes up a tree) and stay at the tree. good luck! Ken & JordanHave you tried laying a drag to a tree and tying the cage about 10 ft. up .This will give them something to look at. When they seem to lose intrest in it you can move it up and down with the rope to tease them ,that may keep them at the tree a bit moore.

Sniper
05-18-2005, 09:59 AM
K-1 We actualy used a racoon hide to do drags to the tree and then slung a rope over a branch to wiggle the hide and move it up and down the tree, the dogs loved it. It really is a pain in the a$$ to try and find racoons to trap, when we release the racoon they usualy end up climbing a really tall tree 2/3rds of the way to the top of a 130' tree. I'm thinking I will find a tree or buck one off at 8' and let the racoon sit up top so the dogs are much closer. I know Rod Hardie's dogs from Port Alberni have treed a cat and barked and stayed at the tree for hours until he could climb up to the area they where in. We got into a couple good chases last week the first one was a coon chase that ended with both dogs plunging into a beaver pond ( had a good laugh):-D. In the second chase the dogs struck hard and tore off into heavy bush 400 metres then shut down and came back before we could get to them. I suspect the second chase was a young Tom that had been seen in the area and the dogs lost the cat when it treed. I think we are almost there with these dogs we just need to keep them off trash and work on locating the racoon/cat tree and staying put at the tree. Anybody else had any good cat/coon chases this year you would like to share?? Ken

leftcoast
05-21-2005, 10:56 AM
Hey guys, my Catahoula treed a fair number of bears by himself. No big ones though. But he was 10 months old when he treed his first one.

=keith=

Barracuda
05-21-2005, 11:39 AM
I guess each person has their own idea as to how many dogs to run.
I myself think that two dogs work well on game , that way an animal can't focus on only one dog without worrying about the other one.

If you have one dog that will get er done I say go for it.

some folks feel that more then 3 dogs mess up a track whilst other run a whole gaggle of hounds and then again i have heard some hound guys say that if you need more than a couple of hounds you need different hounds.
I guess what ever works for the person is the right way to do it ,no matter what the combination is

run what makes you happy.