PDA

View Full Version : Got my new waders, have a question

Phoneguy
02-26-2008, 10:07 PM
from Cabellas. The brochure says I should treat the rubber boots with a product like ArmourAll. I thought that those products dry out rubber. What do you guys suggest?

James

Crazy_Farmer
02-26-2008, 10:16 PM
I'm sure everyones got an opinon, even guys who fish may have the best but I've never used any product to treat it after buying them, just flip em upside down and hang them to dry is all I do, same as my brothers lacrosse ones. I got mine screaming cheap from cabelas last year, what model did you get?

Phoneguy
02-27-2008, 10:59 AM
I got mine screaming cheap from cabelas last year, what model did you get?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0005491830116a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCHFEAT&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=waders&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=waders&noImage=0

I got the ultimate, they were on sale for $139.xx, and with a shipping promo of $4.95 anywhere to the US I had them shipped to my mail drop in Point Roberts, picked them up yesterday afternoon. $18.00 at the border for taxes and I was done. I guess the whole deal, shipping , US taxes, canadian taxes I came in at under $200.00. I looked around locally, not that easy to find here, maybe if I drove further out the valley.

Now bummer is, I may not be able to use them for a while, have to work in Edmonton commisioning some new equipment next week, fly out Sunday afternoon, come home Friday night, and the spring season is just about done I think.

James

rishu_pepper
02-27-2008, 11:40 AM
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0005491830116a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCHFEAT&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=waders&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=waders&noImage=0

I got the ultimate, they were on sale for $139.xx, and with a shipping promo of $4.95 anywhere to the US I had them shipped to my mail drop in Point Roberts, picked them up yesterday afternoon. $18.00 at the border for taxes and I was done. I guess the whole deal, shipping , US taxes, canadian taxes I came in at under $200.00. I looked around locally, not that easy to find here, maybe if I drove further out the valley.

Now bummer is, I may not be able to use them for a while, have to work in Edmonton commisioning some new equipment next week, fly out Sunday afternoon, come home Friday night, and the spring season is just about done I think.

James

Good looking waders you got there James. Hopefully you can get out before the spring goose season ends (I believe on March 10th?). The problem is finding these buggers where you can shoot (Stanley Park is out :wink:).

Hate to hi-jack but I have a wader related question. I have a pair of waders with stocking footings (no rubber boot). Up until now I've been wearing some large size rubber boots over the feet, but when water gets in, the boots contract and makes it pretty uncomfortable. I'm thinking wader boots are the solution here? Any recommendations? And if I wear a size 10 shoe, do I get the same size wader boots, or do I have to go bigger to fit in the stocking part?

c.r.hunter
02-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Just be sure to hang them when you store them. If you fold them, the rubber will wear on the folds. Also, try to store them out of sunlight. A closet or the garage...ect...

R.P.- get some wading boots. The only thing to watch for is what kind of sole to get. Most wading boots are made for fishing and most will come with a felt sole. While great for the river, these are terrible for packing decoys into a muddy corn field. If thats all you plan to do with them, I would look for a cleated sole. If you want them to be be universal, you might want to consider a pair of Korkers- they have interchangable soles. You can go from cleated, to felt, to studded felt ect...
Also, make sure to get a boot 1 size bigger than your shoe size. If they fit at all tight, your feet will get cold.

rishu_pepper
02-27-2008, 12:30 PM
R.P.- get some wading boots. The only thing to watch for is what kind of sole to get. Most wading boots are made for fishing and most will come with a felt sole. While great for the river, these are terrible for packing decoys into a muddy corn field. If thats all you plan to do with them, I would look for a cleated sole. If you want them to be be universal, you might want to consider a pair of Korkers- they have interchangable soles. You can go from cleated, to felt, to studded felt ect...
Also, make sure to get a boot 1 size bigger than your shoe size. If they fit at all tight, your feet will get cold.

Thanks for the advice c.r. I am looking at the Korkers right now, they look pretty good to me, and the price is reasonable (according to their website). Interchangeable soles are very attractive, because I use my waders to fish and to chuck decoys on muddy fields (about a 50/50 split). Do you know of anywhere local where I can buy them?

Marc
02-27-2008, 01:18 PM
Phoneguy I bought the same exact waders before Christmas. Had them out 5 times so far I think it was and they are awesome. You're going to like them, just remember that they are made of neoprene which acts as an insulator so if you're doing a lot of hard walking you're going to sweat,then your legs get itchy when you stop.

Phoneguy
02-27-2008, 01:28 PM
Phoneguy I bought the same exact waders before Christmas. Had them out 5 times so far I think it was and they are awesome. You're going to like them, just remember that they are made of neoprene which acts as an insulator so if you're doing a lot of hard walking you're going to sweat,then your legs get itchy when you stop.

Went out with Ian once, without waders and my feet were pretty cold in the rubber boots, even with two layers of wool socks. An aluminium boat in cold water lets the cold right through, and not much opportunity to move around to warm up. Looking forward to being warmer.

James

Marc
02-27-2008, 01:34 PM
They'll work good in a boat or where ever you are. I was actually starting to get cold one afternoon after sitting on the ground for 3 or 4 hours of staying still. I have to say thought that it was pretty gusty that afternoon. I also bought the 4 in 1 matching wader jacket and I'm quite pleased with it so far.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Marc_s_first_mallard_Drake_.JPG

Phoneguy
02-27-2008, 05:45 PM
In the same order I picked up one of those camo face masks with the eye hole. Tried it all on in the house to make sure it fit last night. My kids were appalled. I threatened to drive them to school in the camo and get out of the truck to announce to all their friends that I was their dad.:mrgreen:

They didn't see the humour in it:roll:

James