PDA

View Full Version : Lyme's Vaccine?

Spokerider
02-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Who get's their dog/s vaccinated for Lyme's disease? I've been looking into it.... my vet says Lyme's is on Van Isle, and a few dogs have succumbed to the illness. For those that do not know, it's carried by ticks.

It's a pretty expensive vaccination, with a booster required for the following year.

There is a place in the US where medications can be obtained for pets / livestock at a fraction of the cost of getting it at the vet's here, and the Lymes vaccine is just one of them, problem is, they don't ship the vaccine to Canada.....go figure.....that's usually how it is....

http://www.revivalanimal.com/

Anyone know of a similar outlet in Canada where such items can be purchased?

Bow Walker
02-25-2008, 07:45 PM
I've already removed three ticks from my dog so far this season. It's has to be the warmer weather coupled with the amount of sunshine that we've enjoyed these past few days.

Here's a pic of the nasty booger(s).
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/AmericanDogTick_2.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=8312)

Spokerider
02-25-2008, 08:10 PM
Yeah, I figured as much...... the pesky little bugger were already out....

BCLongshot
02-25-2008, 08:22 PM
My 2 dogs get the shot for this.

They have such thick bloody hair. (Samoyeds)

Fisher-Dude
02-25-2008, 08:24 PM
I asked at the vet's office about it today. They said they don't bother with dogs in the Central Okanagan, but do vaccinate on request if the dog is going to areas known to have Lyme's.

MooseNuts
02-25-2008, 08:48 PM
We recently found out that our dog has been exposed to Lymes. They were testing for other things when they stumbled on it. Fortunately it wasn't what was making her sick. Unfortunately they still don't know what made her sick! The vet figures that she contracted it while we were when we were in Oregon. As for vaccinating, our vet doesn't think that it is necessary but will upon request.

Wolfman
02-26-2008, 12:06 AM
I think I'll be getting both my dogs vaccinated for that. Even though we live in the city we get out in the bush too.

Damn I hate parasites!

Wolfman

Islandali
02-28-2008, 11:54 AM
The ticks have been the worst I have ever seen....I live in the North end of Nanaimo and in a week I pulled 5 off of one of my dogs and three off of my puppy...I used to vaccinate for Lyme but haven't in the last few years because I have never(until now) found them on my dogs.
It is probably worth vaccinating against lyme this year because they are so bad.
Cheers,
Alisha J

Bow Walker
02-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Got a 10 a.m appointment tomorrow for my pup. Whoever said that those things are gross was sure right. I'm sorta gettin used to seeing/pulling them out of her now but it's not something that I want to make a habit out of.

Islandali
02-28-2008, 11:30 PM
I meant to let you know that some vet clinics sell a great little item called a Tick Twister for around $10.00....it removes them in about 2 seconds flat and leaves no parts behind. I have put it to good use already and highly recommend them!

Cheers,
Alisha J.

Spokerider
02-29-2008, 11:44 AM
At this time last year, after a hike with the dog on a south facing hill, I got 20+ ticks off the dog that evening, a bunch off the seat in my truck on the side my dog was on, three from me, and more picked off the dog the next day and the day after that!

Must have gone through a nest of them. That was the worst infestation for me / dog to date.

I'm still researching the Lyme's vaccine before I decide to get it or not...

Seems there is more than one type of vaccine...... Some studies show that is is not that effective on Lyme's disease. Also, it seems that if caught early, the debilitating effects of the disease can be halted with large doses of abx. The key is identifying the symptoms early, making the connection between the two [ symptoms and Lyme's ] and seeking abx therapy.

Bow Walker
03-01-2008, 01:30 AM
I just took my best friend into the Vet today and I did go for the Lyme disease shot, with the booster in one month. In addition, I got some Revolution which is like the Advantage flea gel in that it is administered on the scruff of the neck.

The stuff is much more liquid than the Advantage and is much easier to apply. The trick is getting right down to the skin to apply it. Apparently it is absorbed and spread over the body (like natural oils) and it repulses the tick before it has a chance to climb higher and to start digging in. The vet uses it on her own dogs and highly recommends it. Each dose lasts for up to one month.

What can a concerned "father" do? Sold!, I said, gimme three doses.

Spokerider - which vet, here in sunny Sooke, do you use??

Pete
03-01-2008, 06:50 AM
I meant to let you know that some vet clinics sell a great little item called a Tick Twister for around $10.00....it removes them in about 2 seconds flat and leaves no parts behind. I have put it to good use already and highly recommend them!

Cheers,
Alisha J.
I would have second thoughts about that method of removing Ticks. The big problem with removing ticks is to keep them from disgorging their stomach contents back into the wound. Using petrolem products, twisting them out, hot needles etc are not recommended. Use a long,curved nose pair of tweesers and grasp the tick on the thorax between the head and the abdomen. Apply gentle pressure until the tick backs out. Clean the area with a disinfectant as well wash the area with soap and water.

Spokerider
03-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Bowalker,

I use both vet clinic's, as I like to send'em both to Hawaii each winter!

Bow Walker
03-01-2008, 11:59 AM
I just paid for a new stereo in one of their BMW's yesterday! :eek:

The ticks that I pulled out - I put Polysporin on the wound hole/entrance-to-tick-sippin-heaven. Vet said that any disinfectant/antibacterial substance is a good thing to use.

Shadow got a cean bill of health - I just got the bill.:roll:

Islandali
03-07-2008, 09:13 PM
I know they say twisting isn't the way to go when removing ticks...and normally it isn't but these little items called "tick twisters" hook on and remove it extremely fast without disturbing the tick...it comes out intact without getting squished at all....I found that when I would used needle tip tweezers and even though I got a hold of it right at my dogs skin....I would lose my grip because the tick's skin is so smooth and leathery....
I have had way better and quicker removal with this little unit .....
Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Cheers,
Alisha J.

Wolfman
03-07-2008, 09:34 PM
I &^%$#@!!! hate parasites!

Wolfman

Moosenose
03-07-2008, 11:18 PM
Who get's their dog/s vaccinated for Lyme's disease? I've been looking into it.... my vet says Lyme's is on Van Isle, and a few dogs have succumbed to the illness. For those that do not know, it's carried by ticks.

It's a pretty expensive vaccination, with a booster required for the following year.

There is a place in the US where medications can be obtained for pets / livestock at a fraction of the cost of getting it at the vet's here, and the Lymes vaccine is just one of them, problem is, they don't ship the vaccine to Canada.....go figure.....that's usually how it is....

http://www.revivalanimal.com/

Anyone know of a similar outlet in Canada where such items can be purchased?

I just searched the website of Revival Animal and didn't see anything in particular about Lyme's disease. Nothing under Lyme's disease, or Lyme's vaccine. I will give them a call tomorrow and report back.
I will also be looking into this Revolution product. Wife is in Victoria this weekend, anyone know where I can get this Revolution product in Victoria. I need to get some for my hunting buddy, whatever is leftover I'll use on the dog.

Bow Walker
03-08-2008, 12:42 AM
I got the stuff at the Vetrinary clinic. Over the counter sales. Ask for Revolution tick control.

This Revolution is made by Pfizer. It's a Selamectin topical solution that goes onto the dog's bare skin, right up where the neck joins the shoulders. You've got to part the hair/fur until you can apply it directly onto the bare skin for it to be effective.

Sorry - I just went through the package and the instructions looking for a website, but couldn't come up with one for you. I'd go to Pfizer Animal Health.com and start there.

Spokerider
03-08-2008, 11:26 AM
What's the approximate cost to medicate a large sized dog with Revolution Bow Walker?

Moosenose
03-08-2008, 03:49 PM
I just searched the website of Revival Animal and didn't see anything in particular about Lyme's disease. Nothing under Lyme's disease, or Lyme's vaccine. I will give them a call tomorrow and report back.
I will also be looking into this Revolution product. Wife is in Victoria this weekend, anyone know where I can get this Revolution product in Victoria. I need to get some for my hunting buddy, whatever is leftover I'll use on the dog.

I just talked with Revival Animal and price on the vaccination (Lyme-Vac) is $110 US for 10 doses. Dosage is 1 shot now, then another one in 2-3 weeks. So one order would be good for 5 dogs, or 4 dogs and the mother-in-law.
No info on the Revolution yet.

diggerpax
03-08-2008, 03:55 PM
You will have to get the tick preventative from your local vet- Revolution is a great product, as is advantix. The over the counter products will not be nearly as effective. Lyme's is caused by a bacteria called Borriela Bergdorferi that is carried by the tick Ixodes scapularis and Ixodes Pacificus. Pacificus is endemic in the northwest, although the prevalence of the diseases is far greater on the atlantic seaboard. Signs of Lyme's include lethargy, fever, and lameness that effects multiple joints or seems to shift from one leg to another. The vaccine does not prevent the disease 100%, but it will aid in your dogs immune response if exposed. The best way to avoid tick born disease is to use a quality topical preventative from your vet like Revolution- as a bonus it kills fleas, heartworms, and some roundworms too. The vaccine should be used as an adjunct in endemic areas. Even if you don't live in the range of Ixodes ticks, there are numerous other species that carry diseases such as rocky mountain spotted fever and anaplasmosis. Lyme's is treatable with antibiotics, although with moderate efficacy and relapses can occur. If you have an outdoor going dog, revolution is a great idea. Hope this helps.

Bow Walker
03-09-2008, 11:47 AM
What's the approximate cost to medicate a large sized dog with Revolution Bow Walker?
I didn't reply right away because I wanted to dig through some receipts and find an answer for you. Couldn't find the right receipt. :mad:

I got them from the Sooke Vet. Hosp. 642 4413 They'll let you know exactly what the cost is.

The instructions say to apply one dose and wait 2 weeks and then apply another dose - this is for "1st timers" - after that, it's a dose per month.

Hope that helps.

Trapper D
09-08-2011, 12:22 PM
last month spent just about 2000 dollers trying to find out what the hell was wrong with my dog, to no avail. learned a few things along the way that i will point out. initially brought her in cause she stopped eating, i was worried right off the bat about ticks, and lyme disease, so i asked to have her checked for that. they came back saying she had kennel cough, did the prescribed medication for that. After a few days of this, i wasnt satisfied that this was the problem, and took her back. Asked again to be tested for lyme disease, thats when the vet cam e out to discuss, how its rare on van isle and its not the problem. My response was , well my grandmother got very sick for a very long time from this disease. my next question was, so you vets have a shared data base where you can make this determination from? NO, oh, so your basing your theory that lyme disease isnt prellavent in my area based solely on what walks through your door? yes. hmm, so no shared data base , remember that when they tell you oh this is not here. anyways multiple tests later, nothing came up. did get tested for lyme disease , and all they would say was heres an antibiotic for basically anything under the sun. i asked , is this the lyme disease antibiotic? um it has been used for that before. interesting. after the tests they wouldnt officially tell me if she had lyme disease, but they gave me the drug for it. it was to late my dog had to be put down. heres another interesting thing about vets, and sharing info. if you are not satisfied with one vet, and decide to go to another, all the previous tests and information is irrelevent, and will have to be retested again, basically saying there is no trust amungst themselves. after countless hours of research, on the lyme disease subject, it seems to me this is an epidemic , and its being hushed, actually worldwide. funny there was a 2 hour documentary on it the other night , that was pretty scary. good luck to all you dog owners, maybe prevention of ticks is the best way to avoid untold thousands of dollers spent. they actually carry many different bacterias and viruses, its not just lyme disease.

Doe
09-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Ours are vaccinated for lymes. The last 3 years have continually gotten worse for ticks, this year apparently way worse than last. If yu spend any amount of time hiking or even camping, they are there......I have also read a few sad stories about peoples dogs being misdiagnosed and by the time the lymes test returns positive, it can be too late. The cost of the vac is far less than the cost of (mis) treatment.
Im sorry t hear about your dog Trapper:(

Kasomor
09-08-2011, 06:26 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss Trapper.

Yes, Lyme's is alive and well here in B.C.

It sucks that there is not a data base and that some vets have there heads in the sand.

My dogs are not vaccinated for it. Sometimes the vaccine is worse then the disease and my breed can be susceptible to BAD vaccine reactions.

Not to say that I wouldn't vaccinate if I lived in an area where it was more prevalent but I do not believe it is at epidemic proportions here. Lyme's disease is a frequent topic on other boards that I belong too therefore I know what the symptoms look like and would not hesitate to treat for it even if the test came back negative.

Again, very sorry for your loss.

All the best