PDA

View Full Version : Benelli Super Black Eagle II- Cammo or walnut?

diggerpax
02-24-2008, 02:21 PM
I've been drooling over automatic shotguns for long enough, and have decided to retire the old 870 for a while. I've made up my mind on the Benelli SBE II, but can't decide if I want walnut or a camo pattern. Of course the walnut is beautiful, and a far prefer the look, but does the camo make the gun far more durable? I'm new to hunting in a wet environment (Oregon from Wyoming and soon to be Vancouver) and found myself taking apart my gun after every outing and cleaning it. It's not a huge deal, but I'd like to not worry about it so much. What do you all think? Do you take apart your guns after every wet adventure in the NW? This is one of the reasons I switched to stainless for my big game rifles- durability. Thanks so much for all of your help.

mattchu_19
02-25-2008, 06:46 AM
I have the black syn version and love it. To me the camo or black is way better for waterfowling over the wood, most waterfowlers like to beat on their guns, they get covered in mud, saltwater, sit in the rain. Also the wood doesnt have the comfort stock and if you have a problem with recoil the wood might have a little more kick. All in all the gun is flat out great.

fowl language
02-25-2008, 09:22 AM
bought a camo auto shotgun at the beginning of the season and cleaned it for the first time yesterday. well over a case of shells throw it. no swelling cracking or rusting with synthetics,my choice for sure

ROEBUCK
02-25-2008, 09:43 AM
had a synthetic xtrema for 5 years and fired thousands of shells with no probs did hear from a wildfowling guide that the camo coatings can peel off after time?

Qwa-honn
02-25-2008, 04:29 PM
I have Just ordered a lefty SBE 2 in camo. I would choose this over the wood just for the comfort stock. I don't think I would want to shoot three and a halfs on a wooden stock no matter how rare the occasion may arise.
I also have a X2 and been loving it for a years just wanted a left hand and benelli is the only one on the market at the moment.

diggerpax
02-25-2008, 11:13 PM
Thanks for all the help guys- camo it is!

todbartell
02-26-2008, 12:11 AM
good choice with the camo, I wouldn't own a waterfowl gun that was not fully camo. their eyes are just too good

duckslayer
02-26-2008, 09:10 AM
I was in the same boat as you loved the old trusty 870 but wanted the semi. Bought the SBE2 before the past waterfowl season and have been in love ever since, Go with the camo for sure give it a wipe down and let it dry off and your good to go!!! And only had one stove pipe all year with over a case going through the bore.
Slayer

diggerpax
09-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Went with the camo- can't wait to shoot it!

Qwa-honn
09-26-2008, 05:01 PM
your going to love it. I love mine that's for sure.

huntwriter
09-27-2008, 06:48 AM
Good choice on the gun. Benelli is the way to go in my opinion. The camouflage skin does give the gun a bit more protection but you pay extra for it. Do you need a camouflaged gun to hunt waterfowl? Not really. I am just getting back into waterfowl hunting but remember that when I was younger we always limited out on ducks and geese and had no camouflaged guns.

I hunt turkeys for over 15 years using a Remington Wingmaster 870 and two years ago replaced that one with a Benelli Super Nova in black. Never in all these years had I a turkey spook because of the gun. Sure turkeys and waterfowl have exceptional eyesight but they seem not to be bothered by a gun. Birds look for big shapes and above all for movement.

Qwa-honn
10-15-2008, 08:40 PM
How do you like the gun so far?