PDA

View Full Version : Kippered herring?

ratherbefishin
02-24-2008, 10:43 AM
anybody kipper herring?With the herring jigging season approaching, it might be a good chance to try some.A while back there was a benefit where you could get a bucket of herring for $5 down at the dock-haven't seen it this year though.I used to make pickled herring from those.

Phreddy
02-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Did a lot of herring, salmon, trout, cod, and dogfish when I was living up island, but haven't done any in years since moving to the interior.

tomahawk
02-24-2008, 12:30 PM
I love pickled fish, have done my own salmon, trout and had jack fish from a buddy. Love it all especially when it is layered fish, onion, fish, veggie etc etc.

MichelD
02-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Don't mean to hijack this thread, and I don't know how to kipper, we just salted then pickled them.

I used to volunteer at the UFAWU-CKNW Orphan's fund annual herring sale as a member of the United Fishermen and Allied Workers Union whose members donated their time on the catcher boat, the packer vessels and the fish dispensing crew.

DFO cancelled the fishery last year due to the 2006 Larocque decison.

Long story, but the Larocque decision on the East coast effectively said that the Minister does not own the fish and therefore cannot use it as currency for test fishing.

It has completely changed how test fishing occurs now.

I have no idea how the West Coast bureaucrats interpreted that court decision as a reason to cancel a one-time-a year limited charity licence for an event that had been going 60 years.

ratherbefishin
02-26-2008, 02:51 PM
It was a heck of a deal-you got a bucket of fresh herring for $5 and the charity got the money-everybody won.Why would some bean counter cancel that?
But-back to the original question-does anybody kipper them,and if so-how did you do it?[I think they are cleaned by opening up the back-not belly ]As for pickling herring-I found that scaling them first by scrubbing them with a brush under running water -then laying them out on a baking sheet in the freezer to get a bit of frost in them made them a lot easier to fillet[albeit at the price of cold hands]

eaglesnester
02-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Would dearly love to have a recipe. My dad made it years ago when we lived on Okauchee lake in Ws. We pickled bluegills, bass, and northern pike. He had a big ceramic crock, like your grandmother made sour kraut in that we pickled our fish in. Cheers&Tight Groups: Eaglesnester

ratherbefishin
03-04-2008, 08:52 AM
still no kippered herring recipe's?

LostInSpaces
03-18-2008, 06:06 PM
Looked on Epicurous.com

For kippered herring it said go to herriing. All they say is that it means to salt dry and then cold smoke.

newhunterette
04-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Fresh herring are available during the spring on both the Pacific and Atlantic coasts. When fresh, the high-fat herring has a fine, soft texture that is suited for baking, sautéing and grilling. The herring's flesh becomes firm when cured by either pickling, salting, smoking or a combination of those techniques. There are many variations of cured herring. Bismarck herring are unskinned fillets that have been cured in a mixture of vinegar, sugar, salt and onions. Rollmops are Bismarck herring fillets wrapped around a piece of pickle or onion and preserved in spiced vinegar. Pickled herring (also called marinated herring) have been marinated in vinegar and spices before being bottled in either a sour-cream sauce or a wine sauce. The term can also refer to herring that have been dry-salted before being cured in brine. Kippered herring (also called kippers) are split, then cured by salting, drying and cold-smoking. Bloaters are larger than kippers but treated in a similar manner. They have a slightly milder flavor due to a lighter salting and shorter smoking period. Their name comes from their swollen appearance. Schmaltz herring are mature, higher-fat herring that are filleted and preserved in brine. The reddish Matjes herring are skinned and filleted before being cured in a spiced sugar-vinegar brine