PDA

View Full Version : Dog names

Wolfman
02-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Hey guys.

I've got a male puppy coming soon (Lab/Chesapeake Bay cross) and while I always wait to see what kind of dog I get before naming him, I'm building up a list.

Anyway, I was curious as to what you all named your dogs and if there's a story behind the name?

Wolfman

Big7
02-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Tika...she's a husky cross and it just seemed like a suiting name!

MIL720
02-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Tika....cuz my wife said so !!!!! ( yellow lab )

Wolfman
02-21-2008, 03:35 PM
Tika seems like a popular name! ;-)

Wolfman

Dirty
02-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Winnie. For Winchester. My pops named her and he wouldn't let me call her anything else. I guess thats what happens when somebody gives you a dog.

porcupine
02-21-2008, 04:39 PM
We're on dogs # 4 & # 5. All of our dogs have been/are Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers and used for hunting too. I'm half cajun and with the Nova Scotia tie in, we've tried to use a southern names, with the exception of our second dog, who was named for a famous shotgun. The first name is the call name, the second the CKC Kennel name.

Dog # 1 Cajun (Jems's Cajun Fox CDX)
Dog # 2 Parker (Jems Parker Invincable)
Dog # 3 Dixie (Westerlea's Whistlin Dixie)
Dog # 4 Roux (Westerlea's Bon Temps Rouler)
Dog # 5 Beau (Westerlea's Beau Renard)

I have a friend who has had over half a dozen dogs, each one has had the same name, that of his wife.
________
Mercury Monarch specifications (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Mercury_Monarch)

308Lover
02-21-2008, 05:04 PM
My dog is Shadow. He has 4 white feet and is mostly black (border collie) He went camping with us in the snow as a pup. My partner said he was worse than a shadow because when he went to take a leak he couldn't see that curious pup and peed on him. Yup. He's like your shadow.

NEEHAMA
02-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Harold has a nice ring.

i named my choc lab Ginger Bread Head.

02-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Cola- She was 2.5 y/o when we got her from the SPCA....wouldn't have been our first choice of names but its kinda hard to rename them after that long.

rocksteady
02-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Wifes dogs were:

Tia (Maria) Pit Bull
Tequila Pit Cross

Our dog together:

Malibu - Boxer-Mastiff

See a trend??

Our second one together:

Kokanee - PB German Rottie

The trend continued......

3rd together:

TAZ (Sounds just like the cartoon -PB American Rottie)

4th together:

Toska - PB Female German Rottie

Looks like I finally got the wifes mind off booze:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Have a friend who named his dog "shit-head"...The kids all love to go outside and call his name ...tee-hee...

BlacktailStalker
02-21-2008, 06:10 PM
Kysa. (pronounced Kice-a, not keesa. Errr)
I wanted to think of the nicest name I could for a breed (doberman) many are afraid of.
It worked.
"Oh wow she's gorgeous, whats her name!"
"Oh what a pretty name!"
lol

wsm
02-21-2008, 06:30 PM
mines name is tikka after the rifle

270WIN
02-21-2008, 06:36 PM
my heeler cross is called niki i have few names when and if i ever get another dog
ruger
dan and ann well after one of my favorite movie were the red fern grows

Kechika
02-21-2008, 06:42 PM
ya gotta name him MEAT

LOC
02-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Odin or Ody is our GSP's. Before he arrived he was called 'boop' (wifes name for him after we put the deposit down). Once he got here we knew that name wouldn't last so after several variations ( Hershy, Chip, Savage, Remmington) none of which 'fit' him we decided on Ody.

Registered as Huntersglen Odin.

Spuddge
02-21-2008, 07:01 PM
I couple I like for no particular reason
Shamus (Shame for short),
Otis,
Wyatt,
Bocephus

Sitkaspruce
02-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Our 10 yo Chesapeake is Sitka, after the tree Sitka Spruce.
Our 10 mo yellow Lab is Kaza, named after one of my favorite places to hunt.

Dragginbait
02-21-2008, 07:38 PM
The pup we have now is named Piper and when I get the english springer in a few months it'll be called Chase. The best I ever heard was my moms uncle who called his dog "guess" so when anyone asked it's name all he said was guess and it just kept going from there.

Bighorn hunter
02-21-2008, 07:57 PM
we've had a few, all boxers
1st Harley (f)
2nd Chief (m) because he had a white band around his neck that looked like a hankerchief
3rd Jade (f) adopted her at age 4
4th Ezme (f) adopted her at age 4, name means jentle protector in some language apparently
5th Vinny(f) we just liked the name

Sasquatch
02-21-2008, 08:08 PM
I call my griff Delou, as in Riviere du Loup, where I got him as a pup.

kbb
02-21-2008, 08:13 PM
My dog is Diesel

5 spike
02-21-2008, 08:50 PM
my dogs name is wansa. she is a black shepard.

fozzy
02-21-2008, 10:39 PM
My wife has a pup coming soon and we have yet to pick a name. Diesel is one we have thought of, maybe Barnes or Nosler :) The last dog we had was a great dane named Enzo. My hunting partners named the cat I brought home last fall while Whitetail hunting, they called him Bob. Father in law says to name the new pup Bill. :lol:

Trailmaster
02-22-2008, 04:45 AM
I called my hound Hank after Hank Jr.

Iron Glove
02-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Wanted to name our Toller "Dick Weed" but the breeder gave us the evil eye so we opted for "Molly". Her "real" name is "Tollwests Hell on Waves".

newhunterette
02-22-2008, 09:36 AM
#1 German Shepard/Coyote cross - named Runty (he was the runt of the litter)
#2 Cocker Spaniel - named Princess (all little girls have a princess don't they)
#3 German Shepard - King (was already named when we got him)
#4 Sheltie/Terrier - Shilo (my sister liked Neil Diamond - was her favourite song)
#5 Beagle - Max (he was a pound puppy and already named)
#6 Australian cattle Dog (Blue Heeler) - Sissy (she was a pound puppy nd already named) we still have her - she is my baby girl
#7 Black Lab - Hunter (she is our hunting pooch and was supposed to be a male - we were told that the only black puppy was the male so we wanted him - when we got him, he was a her - breeder error) we still have her and she is amazing

wrenchhead
02-22-2008, 10:13 AM
2 yr old chocolate lab named Lynyrd
hes a big fella that loves freebird

wetcoastwillie
02-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Two dogs

1) Whisky,

2) Kahlua,

Can you guess which one is mine and which one is the wifes?

Fisher-Dude
02-22-2008, 11:09 AM
A good friend who is also a master dog trainer told me that you should choose a short (one or two syllable), sharp sounding name for your dog. They pick up those sounds best while training. She says any sound that has a "bark" like ring to it is best.

johnes50
02-22-2008, 11:18 AM
'Kodiak' is my shepard/lab crosses name. He was given to us when he was a pup and already had a name. We liked the name and kept it.

kbb
02-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Someone should call their dog "shot'
:)

Will
02-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Tika seems like a popular name!
Seems like it, my ShepLab cross we just put down awhile back was also named Teaka........I do miss her :-(

My wife's dalmation is named Solomon......cause he's King....or at least he thinks he is ;)

My new Pup...an Aussie Shep I let the kids name...they decided on Boomer :-?

oh well, it seems to suit him now:D

jiggy
02-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Our dog "Georgia",parents were from kentucky and Louisiana,so we went with a Southern name

We once had a chessie/lab cross,we called him Ben,it just fit,short and sweet.

Chuck
02-22-2008, 06:46 PM
I call my Spaniel bird dog....Carpenter - he does odd jobs around the place!

model88
02-22-2008, 11:47 PM
My border collie/lab is named Gibson. Was sittin in the garage with him trying to think of a name when he was a pup, looked around to see a bottle of Gibsons on the counter and there was his name.

Had border collie named Brandie.....hhmm

porcupine
02-22-2008, 11:54 PM
I think that the most important thing is that if you're walking around the streets after dark, calling for you lost dog, the police don't come and arrest you for obsentity violations.
________
buy cheap vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/easy-vape)

000buck
02-23-2008, 12:00 AM
just a thought but, "kameer" could save alot of extra articulation when calling the dog, and if you have kids "d fer" dog is easy for them to remember.
"Askim" has been popular with those who hate being asked what the dogs name is. "Kitty kitty" is cute. My wife has a shit zoo (shih tzu) i called "jigger"

Bow Walker
02-25-2008, 01:45 AM
We got ours from a "fostering home" - she was rescued from an pretty abusive/neglectful situation. She's a mix of Rottie, Lab, and Shepherd. Her 1st name (from the foster home's young daughter) was Sheba. Well she's definitely not a Sheba, so after a couple of weeks we changed it to Abbie.

A month later we changed it yet again to Shadow. Whenever we turned around - there she was. Lots of separation anxiety issues. Given her early life, it's not surprising.

She is now healthy, loved, and most of all she's happy...although we are a bit on the slow side for training. But she hasn't given up on us yet.

calvin L
02-25-2008, 08:14 AM
My golden is named george
and my great peraneeze(spelling ) is graice (should be named target )

calvin L

asurebet
02-25-2008, 09:29 AM
#1 dog always in my heart! pb Rottie, Chance, RIP my buddy.
#2 dog pb boxer Abby
#3 dog mix Lola
#4 1yr. old pb German Shephard, Eikon name came from breeder which we liked, so we kept it, also extension of his dad (eiko)

farside
02-27-2008, 04:53 PM
The pup we have now is named Piper and when I get the english springer in a few months it'll be called Chase. The best I ever heard was my moms uncle who called his dog "guess" so when anyone asked it's name all he said was guess and it just kept going from there.

I also have a Piper and a Chase

Like the name "Askem"

RoadKing
02-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Our Chessie is named Farley - after Farley Mowat the author.