PDA

View Full Version : barrell length

Benthos
02-17-2008, 04:13 PM
I'm looking at a new shotgun. i see some barrell lengths are 24inch while some are 28. what are the pros and cons of each?

thanks

fowl language
02-17-2008, 06:55 PM
the longer the barrel the better the sighting plain as your eye is your back sight. go to a trap range and check out the barrel length of the guns there, you should find a lot of 33 to 34 in. barrels. this is what i was taught anyway,good luck ....fowl

Marc
02-17-2008, 07:01 PM
The norm for duck hunting seems to be around the 28 inch mark. shorter is usually used for upland birds in close quarters. Some of the old goose guns used to be 36 inches long but with the change over to steel I think 28 in would be the way to go.

Crazy_Farmer
02-17-2008, 07:17 PM
The norm is definitely 28", some waterfowling guns you get the option from like a 24" up to 30"s. Special remingtons come most often with a 30" but benelli's you have your choice on most down to a 26" or 24". Its truely all about your feel and comfort level, go to a gun shop and try em out, thats the easiest way to figure it out, a 28" barrel for most seems to follow through and swing just right, where as a shorter barrel can feel a bit whippy or fast to their liking. If you're a shorter guy you may feel a 24" barrel will feel perfect for your body but you should really test drive one first. A couple inchs will affect the pattern but not by too much really like marc said can be used better in closer ranges.

Poguebilt
02-17-2008, 07:44 PM
I have a short 20" barrel on my 870 and Hagen has the 26" barrel.... when we go clay shooting I notice no differece in barrel length other than personal pref. as of late Ive been out shooting him too ;)