PDA

View Full Version : Help With Snow Geese!

sfire436
02-16-2008, 04:39 PM
I have got an in on some decent farm fields in the lower mainland that have produced for ducks and a few Canadas. But am new to waterfowling and would like to know if a farm setting (with a few big puudles but not many) would be productive for Snows. I only have duck decoys and thought about perhaps covering them with white plastic bags.

What do you think?

What about covering the heads of my duck decoys with black and white to make them look like Canadas? Will the Canada's come into just duck decoys and goose calls?

Ian F.
02-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Snows have to either be using a field or passing over it en route to where they are feeding or resting to have a chance at them.

As for honkers I've seen them come to all manner of rigs, but it always comes down to being where they want to be.

Ian

Crazy_Farmer
02-16-2008, 07:59 PM
As for honkers I've seen them come to all manner of rigs, but it always comes down to being where they want to be.

Ian

Well if that was totally true then most hunts within the past two years I shouldn't have any geese to show for it :p. Hunting the X or where the geese want to be is the best way to go like said but sometimes that land cannot be hunted, no shoot zones come to mind, but instead you can run traffic on the birds, even if you've never even seen geese in a certain field that they fly over if you have good enough concealment, calling and all the necessary tools to get the job done, they will come.

As for the duck decoys being turned into geese, sure paint em up if you want, hell guys have been using black silos and tires for years getting the job done. Dont know about your area but here we get lots of mallard sized geese who love to come into the smaller lesser sized decoys, it is a bit of an odd thing you want to do but cant say it wont work.

sfire436
02-16-2008, 08:16 PM
But would Canadas come into duck decoys with some goose calls?

Crazy_Farmer
02-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Its normally the other way around, ducks like to come to goose decoys in fields, I've had geese decoy in a duck spread before but there was 1 or 2 shells out there for visibility, I've never seen it just a duck spread, and make sure if you hunt with a spinner its off becuase that'll flare the geese big time, but like Ian said, if you're in the spot they want to be its totally possible for them to cup right up and come in if they like what they see.

fowl language
02-17-2008, 07:11 PM
try going to your local food store and buying as many white plastic bags as you can. find the snows and drive half the bag handle of the bag into the ground with your finger ,make sure the bag opening is intiothe wind and make sure your well hidden down wind of your bags.has worked for us in the past....fowl

Phreddy
02-17-2008, 10:01 PM
White bags, rags, or even better, empty gallon (ok,,,4 litre) milk jugs make excellent decoys. Used these items several times as a youngster. No longer hunt ducks & geese, but had lots of luck using them. Wavey's tend to be a little on the dumb side.