PDA

View Full Version : H&H Nitro Paradox 12 Ga. Double

308Lover
02-16-2008, 03:57 PM
I have a 12 Gauge made in 1920 by Holland and Holland/England. I inherited from a friend who died. I had it totally re-conditioned (stock plus recoil pad and new ejectors--otherwise it's mint original.) Top few inches is rifled for slugs or lead shells (like a nitro express I suppose) Has fold down 50, 100, 150 yard sights. Scroll work is silver with gold inlay for the word "safety", and a few other spots. It's presently stored or I'd post pictures. How would one find the value of such a shotgun. (P.S.--H&H confirmed mfctr. date from the serial number-London Gunroom)

Gateholio
02-16-2008, 04:01 PM
You've got yourself a very special firearm.

Ross Seyfried wrote an excellent article on the paradox guns a few years back.

Make sure you don't sell that gun off for cheap:mrgreen:

Schutzen
02-16-2008, 05:07 PM
They were meant to fire a brass case, not your usual paper or plastic case.
As to value H&H have just reintroduced them and are asking $35,175 pounds sterling.
Recently a 1909 model was for sale @ $18,500.00 US, and another was $29,000.00. I would think your best bet would be to send pictures and details to H&H and ask for their apraisal.

308Lover
02-16-2008, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm also concerned about insuring it for more dollars.

Schutzen
02-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm also concerned about insuring it for more dollars.

I can understand that!
You can always put an arbitrary figure on it say $30,000.00 for now and see where that takes you for insurance costs. After you get the actual value figured you can adjust the policy accordingly.

Schutzen
02-16-2008, 06:54 PM
Hope you can get some pictures for us at a later date would be very interested to see your piece of history in the flesh as it were. :>)

ROEBUCK
02-16-2008, 08:59 PM
i no a little about these guns they were used for big game in africa and asia around the turn of the century. they were a break through in hunting technology with the alternatives being heavy large calibre shotguns[8gauge,6gauge] these made it possible to hunt with a little more acuracy.im suprised they still made them in 1920 what with the invention and mass production of full centrefire rifles ,you should definately contact h&h through there website and get there tel no. ring there london office in brutton street were you will get topnotch advice sounds like your in for a windfall congrats

Schutzen
02-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Daniel
They actually are producing them now, according to the info on the site.

Will
02-16-2008, 10:13 PM
Very Nice Rifle ! :cool:
& shotgun if you wanna be picky !

Interested in trading for a left nut ? :lol: ;-)

ROEBUCK
02-16-2008, 10:47 PM
not surprised schutzen theres a market today in the old values and techniches of the past [for example muzzleloading]

ROEBUCK
02-17-2008, 06:36 AM
just checked out H&Hs website[always makes me sick with envy]saw the paradox you were talking about looks a fine fine gun, they said on the site they give valuations. you should enquire about it. been in there london store a few times myself they have some great taxidermy there.including some world record animals and the third largest elephant tusks about 8 feet long not to mention there gunroom, some customers spend up 2 20million for a calibre selection [but im not jelous]maybe just abit!

Will
02-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Interested in trading for a left nut ? :lol: ;-)
I'm serious.........:neutral:

308Lover
02-17-2008, 10:56 AM
This gun came to Canada after WWII, when my friend came back after being shot down twice.You could say he did give his "left nut" for it and his country.I've been scared to fire it, but he used it as a shotgun on our hunts.

Will
02-17-2008, 11:05 AM
This gun came to Canada after WWII, when my friend came back after being shot down twice.You could say he did give his "left nut" for it and his country.I've been scared to fire it, but he used it as a shotgun on our hunts.
Were not the early ones proofed for BP only ? This would be my concern.
Hopefully you can contact H&H and get the goods on your fine Long arm:-)

Jimbo
02-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Interested in trading for a left nut ?

Be careful daniel, this might be a "low ball " offer ...

308Lover
02-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Well Jimbo, my friend Jack hasn't been in his grave very long, so I'd be VERY afraid to make that trade! LOL LOL

Chuck
02-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Interested in trading for a left nut ?

Be careful daniel, this might be a "low ball " offer ...

Geez...for something like that, I'd up the offer to both left and right..
I haven't been using them lately anyhow. LOL.

308Lover
02-17-2008, 01:40 PM
Went to a site about Nitro's, Will, and they say it's OK for use as a modern shotgun (2 and 3/4 inch) or as a brass cased shell (still available) up to over 700 grains. Can you believe this? ! ! Wow! And my friend is shooting 45/70 with what? 400 grains or so?

ROEBUCK
02-17-2008, 04:29 PM
SELL IT! it might be worth more than some houses? ive read about some antique[ best london guns] going for a huge amount especialy if someone famous owned it at some point ,you never know

Mattimoose
02-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Well, if it's been re-furbished, it may negatively effect the value, depends who did-it. Remaember too, that the paradox bullet has one, deep groove, resembling a giant airgun pellet. This was to provide for the swaging that occurs when it is engraved by the rifling constriction.

308Lover
02-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Thks Mattimoose! I've never even seen a shell for this gun, so that would be interesting. The refurb. was cleaning and polishing the stock and scrollwork, removing an ugly recoil pad and replacing with a black one. The ejector fix I'm not sure about--could be new ones. As mentioned, I've not even fired shot from it.

Beaver Skin
02-18-2008, 10:18 PM
I have to say that this thread needs pictures!!

kutenay
02-19-2008, 08:35 AM
The value of this type of gun CAN be severely impacted by any "re-furbishing" as Matti points out and the ...ugly...pad MAY have been an original Silvers which SHOULD have remained on the piece until it was evaluated by a knowlegeable guy. I know a bit about these, but, cannot venture an honest opinion without examining the gun itself and neither can anyone else.

A 1920's Holland in very good shape, all original and a Paradox Gun IS very valuable and should be evaluated professionally. Are you close to Vancouver as I can assist you with this and know some serious collectors here who can give you an honest estimate of worth for your gun. If, interested, PM me here as these people do not want their names made public for obvious reasons and I also know the right guy to work on guns of this type.

308Lover
02-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Thanks Kutenay! The recoil pad was an ugly red one--I can't imagine it being a good/antique one. I'm heading north soon. I promise pics and I'll PIM you if I can bring the Nitro to Van Thanks again.

kutenay
02-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Well, the correct Silvers pad IS red and do NOT do anything else to this gun until someone who knows highend guns checks it over. A Silvers pad CAN be retro-fitted and the value of these guns DEPENDS on original condition, a minty one like this is worth in excess of $20,000.

I will examine it, no obligation of course and I am not trying to buy it as I have too many guns now; I am fairly certain I can correctly date and value it and then I have the other resources I mentioned. I am interested in highend guns and enjoy looking at them.

Gateholio
02-19-2008, 12:01 PM
I'll dig around my Handloader magazines to find the Seyfried article. It was very interesting.

IIRC he ended up using a paper hulled shotgun case and a round ball.

Glad Kutes chimed in, I was going to suggest sending him a PM.