PDA

View Full Version : Getting shot at.

Crazy_Farmer
02-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Throughout this last years season I have heard and read about more hunters getting shot at while in the decoys then ever before, this has resulted in two deaths just this season, an avery prostaffer in quebec and a 19 year old in kansas not to mention another who got hit in the arm by a .17 rimfire. Just this week down in oregon another decoy spread got shot at 3 times by a .22 but all the hunters were in their blinds outside the decoys and no body got hurt, included a couple kids hunting with their dads. This is only 4 cases out of atleast 10 I've read about straight from guys on other forums.

This seems to be a major problem with the use of more realistic decoys and better concealment on blinds, but all that gives no reason for some dumbass to shoot at geese they think are real from the road, illegal on many levels.

I haven't heard about any cases of that happening here, but just thought I'd ask the question to see if anyones expierenced this here?

Marc
02-12-2008, 08:22 PM
When I was younger I had someone shooting at my decoys with a 22. Totally illegal and not to mention poaching. There is a reason that single projectile firearms are illegal for hunting waterfowl. It's just down right dangerous.

Crazy_Farmer
02-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Now my next question did you fire back?

Marc
02-12-2008, 08:41 PM
No I never shot back. I was pretty pissed and the young guy was mortified. This was back in New Brunswick and the young guy was in full hunters orange across the pound.

Steeleco
02-12-2008, 10:02 PM
When we used to fish more than we hunt, while running down the north arm of the Fraser near the airport, we would hear shot guns being fired near the UBC cliffs. Seconds later buck shot would rain down on the deck of the boat.
Not quite the same things but scary just the same.

Mtn Wonderer
02-12-2008, 10:15 PM
When I was a teen in the early 80's living in a saskatchewan. Two of my friends from school were hunting geese in a field from shallow ground pits, when these arseholes came out in the field shotguns blazing out of the back of a pickup at the decoys. They killed my friend and injured the other. It was an awful time.

One on the guys got a man slawter(sp) charge but the other two got away alot easier. These guys were way beyond idiots!!!

Still makes me mad!!!

Ian F.
02-13-2008, 05:55 PM
I had some fun this year down on B-bay when some idiots where shooting within 100m of me anchored off shored in my pod surrounded by dekes. When I sat up they still kept shooting, scared the crap out of me, that's my most recent fun.

I've been rained on, had decoys shot at and had a few runs with folks over spots.

The newer decoys I don't think have anything to do with this issue, my thoughts are now thanks to the net we hear about them when in the past we wouldn't. Folks who rifle birds are a different breed, one that I wish would be exterminated!

Very best,

ian

OOBuck
02-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Now my next question did you fire back?

KA BOOM!! need you ask!! :-D

Upearly
02-13-2008, 07:50 PM
I got shot at when I wandered too close to some guys outdoor grow-op one time. Does that count?

HuntNHookSports
02-13-2008, 08:10 PM
I have had people 'sneak' up on my decoys a few times. I just let them get close enough for them to see me laughing. Heck, at least I decoyed something.

Now that I have a lay down blind, I have every intention of hiding in the decoys. The worst thing that could happen around here is someone shooting me with a camera. But in AB every one carries a varmint gun in their pickup. At 200 yards even my decoys look like real geese. I am now seriously concerned about being shot. Maybe I will sit up and wave my flag if someone stops..??

Maybe that is why some people call them coffin blinds.
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg179/HuntNHookSports/Hunting%2007/BlindSide.jpg

Crazy_Farmer
02-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Most guys are saying they either sit or stand up if a truck now stops on the side of the road, or cover up if youre in a pit. I believe avery is thinking about making either flyers or notices to attach to fence posts to let people know its decoys not real geese while out hunting. Other ideas are to have a piece of blaze orange on a stick in your blind, not to self - make sure to grab the right flag when the geese are coming :wink: I havent run into anyone who've ever shot at geese with 22s but we hunt mostly our land so they'd need to be extra dumb to even try and shoot geese here, but it could happen, just wanted to see if its happened anywhere local.

Mulies
02-13-2008, 09:31 PM
I haven't been shot at but I remember a story that a guy told me. It happened quite a few years ago on the river flats between comox and courtenay. He was putting his decoys out and was chest deep in his waders when a small boat came out of the fog. The guy took aim at a shit duck that was in the water between them. Ross had just enough time to spin around before the guy pelted his heavy jacket with shot. He gave the guy a blast back across the bow and cursed him out. I think they were both shook up a little.