PDA

View Full Version : opinion on electric calls for snows-possesion limit

fowl language
02-10-2008, 11:02 PM
i am looking for opinions on electrionic calls for snow geese. the reason i ask ,is if there isnt to much opposition to it i would like to put it forward at the next resolutions at the bcwf. agm. i would also like an opinion on how you feel about raising the possesion limit to 40 in order to attract outside hunters to help with the thinning of the flock....fowl

Gateholio
02-10-2008, 11:14 PM
Not much of a waterfowl hunter but I don't see why electronic calls shouldn't be used. It makes a noise, just like a hand caller.:tongue:

Jimbo
02-10-2008, 11:29 PM
Being a skilled caller is the mark of a good waterfowler. It seems like it would be too easy to turn on an e-call and sound just like 20, 50, or 500 geese.
A larger limit for snows would allow the same hunters to take more birds and MIGHT address the conservation issue. Ultimately, it's not the bag limit but the access that is the bigger problem.

Freshtracks
02-11-2008, 01:32 AM
1) In regards to the use of electronic calls. It would never get out of the Lower Mainland Region of the BCWF, as you would require changing a Federal (not provincial) regulation, which migratory birds fall under.

btw- Reason I say this is, I once sat on that board, know how most think and wouldn't support it for the reasons Jimbo stated. I too agree.

2) First you are again asking to change a Federal regulation. Secondly changing bag limits wouldn't reduce population numbers by only a few hunters. Access to good hunting areas is but 50% of what it once was, which in turn resulted in hunter field days targeting snows drop right off. I'd be surprised if we have 50% of the hunter #'s that once plied region 2-4 wetlands.

Long/short of it ... if birds are that plentyful and limits come easy. Fill your boots. Some days involve really working them, others they come easy.:wink:

fowl language
02-12-2008, 06:11 PM
freshtracks, we managed to get the limit raised to 10 last year on snows ,as cws. is looking for help are looking for help in this matter and i thought this might help. if you have other ideas im all ears. my thought that electronic calls might help the new hunter much like the robo duck did,i agree it makes a average hunter into a good hunter but we need to get more people out. we saw an increase in migratory hunters this year and would like to get more out. as to access we have had a huge amount of support from the farming community and even have experienced hunters taking out newbies as a way to help. its the cws opinion that if we dont thin them out ,disease will wipe them out then we wont have to worry about it......fowl

MB_Boy
02-12-2008, 06:25 PM
I am unsure of what the limit has been raised to, but I know the limit in MB is quite high for daily bag limits. Friends and family in MB had told me that it was bumped up quite significantly though.

Jimbo
02-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Fowl, the city of Richmond needs to re-open the foreshore to hunting. This would not only improve access for hunters, it would reduce the number of birds feeding in schoolyards.http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii230/jimbohemi/th_hunting2007018.jpg

I'm glad my kids don't play soccer !!

Gateholio
02-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Making things more accessible is not necessarily a bad thing. Like I said, I'm not a waterfowler, but if I could take my Foxpro caller out, and use that, rather than spending alot of time learning to use hand calls,(failing, getting discouraged, etc) I may end up doing it more, and I suspect there are many more out there that would agree with this.

If the goal is to bolster hunter numbers, then allowing any reasonable method should be considered.

Jimbo
02-12-2008, 10:54 PM
This season there was more snows than anyone has ever seen. All governments agree there is a huge conservation issue and numbers need to be reduced. I'm willing to help out with that, but how much is too much ?
Carrying 10 geese out of the marsh or field would take a lot of effort, but 40 geese ? Seems a bit much to me.

Gateholio
02-13-2008, 01:13 AM
This season there was more snows than anyone has ever seen. All governments agree there is a huge conservation issue and numbers need to be reduced. I'm willing to help out with that, but how much is too much ?
Carrying 10 geese out of the marsh or field would take a lot of effort, but 40 geese ? Seems a bit much to me.

40 geese can't weigh anymore than a moose quarter, can they?:mrgreen:

sparkes3
02-27-2008, 11:01 PM
possesion limit is not your daily bag limit, still would be a daily limit of ten but you could have forty combined at home and in the field i think that is what fowl language is trying to say.please correct me if im wrong.access to fields where the birds are stopping is the main problem.