PDA

View Full Version : Salt Cod....

kishman
02-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Anyone have any good recipies for Salt Cod? Picked some up the other day, never tried it always curious....

115 or bust
02-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Make sure you soak it for a really long time in Fresh water or milk!!

swamper
02-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Soak it overnight to get rid of as much of the salt as possible. Mix together with a bit of mashed potatoes and onions and seasonings to taste and make into patties and fry up as fish cakes. They are great with a bit of malt vinegar.

sparkes3
02-08-2008, 07:54 PM
soak fish overnight change water before you go to bed if fish is really salt.the next day boil fish in more fresh water untill fish flakes apart easily with fork.then while fish is boiling get some salt pork cut into small cubes(1/4 inch)fry in pan untill crunchy(scruncheons)when fish is cooked and schruncheons are fried melt butter over fish top with schruncheons finish off with fresh homemade bread still warm out of oven.mmmmmmmmm feed fit for a king

Bow Walker
02-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Check out the Portugese fish recipes on the Food channel's website. To thhe portugese and/or Spanish people it is a national dish.

kishman
02-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Well I got 'er soaking in the fridge now, tomorrow I'm gonna throw something together. I'll post the result here, keep the recipies coming though. I'm getting hungry just reading them:lol:.

outdoorswoman
02-11-2008, 02:50 PM
boil the fish in a zip lock bag until its soft ( stops it from getting to soft and watery) fry bacon onions garlic in a pan when done drain bacon fat and add about 1/4 c butter and simmer until it all bubbly. Add salt pepper and a bit of hot peppers (opt) then add 4 tbsp heavy cream and cook until sause it nice and hot.
Put mased potatos on a plate put several pc of fish on top and cover with the sause and serve very good !!!! mmmm

Phreddy
02-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Don't know of any, but have to share this story with you.
When I was in my second marriage around about 1981, my brother-in-law ordered a whole case of it from back east. It was shipped by mail, and somehow ended up at the bottom of a pile at the Campbell River post office, where it sat for about a week.
When he finally went to claim it, the folks at the post office had just about gone comletely south trying to figure out where the incrdible fish "stench" was coming from. It was priceless.

sparkes3
02-12-2008, 09:27 PM
so how did it turn out