PDA

View Full Version : Bannock?

Phoneguy
02-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Anyone have a good recipe? I am looking for something that could be mixed up dry before hand, add water, mix, nead and fry.

Thanks
James

Wolfman
02-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Sounds like a room mate I had back in my college days (grin): Really dry and easily fried ;-)

Gateholio
02-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Try GOogle...

bckev
02-08-2008, 10:45 AM
4 cups of flour, 1/2 cup milk powder (optional),dash of salt, teaspoon of sugar,4 tablespoons of baking powder. add water to make it sticky and fry in hot oil or butter, bacon fat etc. you can add dried berries, if you have an egg you can throw that in before you mix it up. works with either whole wheat or white flour

Clint_S
02-08-2008, 10:53 AM
If you got kids one our favorite things to do is spiral it around a green stick and roast it over a campfire then eat it with jam and butter. Mmmmmm!

Marc
02-08-2008, 11:01 AM
4 cups of flour, 1/2 cup milk powder (optional),dash of salt, teaspoon of sugar,4 tablespoons of baking powder. add water to make it sticky and fry in hot oil or butter, bacon fat etc. you can add dried berries, if you have an egg you can throw that in before you mix it up. works with either whole wheat or white flour

How much does this make? :shock: My bread machine makes 1 1/2 lbs of bread with 3 cups flour

boxhitch
02-08-2008, 11:06 AM
Baking Powder doesn't have quite the same leavening effect of yeast. Think of pancake batter. Same stuff.

Upearly
02-08-2008, 12:19 PM
I was told once that if you cut the top and bottom off a small can (lika a salmon can) and fry your bannock within it's confines that they rise better and come out more like bisquits than pancakes.

Marc
02-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Do you flip them like a pancake or do you just let it cook through?

swamper
02-08-2008, 12:31 PM
I have a really good recipe at home. I'll post it after work. I mix it up dry and then just add water. Fry it in lard. It also works great as a batter for frying fish, you just mix it a little thinner.

newhunterette
02-08-2008, 12:33 PM
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups water
1 pinch salt

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, water and oil. Knead on a lightly floured surface for about 10 minutes. Let it rest for a minute, then spread out onto a cookie sheet to 1 inch thickness. Poke holes in the dough using a fork.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bottom is golden when you lift up the bread to take a peek. or

1 cup flour (http://www.recipezaar.com/library/getentry.zsp?id=64)
1 tablespoon sugar (http://www.recipezaar.com/library/getentry.zsp?id=139)
1 teaspoon baking powder (http://www.recipezaar.com/library/getentry.zsp?id=6)
1/4 teaspoon salt (http://www.recipezaar.com/library/getentry.zsp?id=359)
1/2 cup cold water (http://www.recipezaar.com/library/getentry.zsp?id=459)
oil, for deep-frying

Mix all ingredients together and cover and let sit AT LEAST 1 hour if not longer, the longer is sits the fluffier it will be. When you mix it together there might be a little flour left and slightly sticky that is okay. This is the type of fried bread you will be picking up to shape.

After it sits, heat up some oil for deep-fat frying, I use a deep-fryer at home too. You can use a skillet filled with about 1 inch of oil. Heat until 375 F, or a small piece bubbles and browns in a couple minutes. When ready to fry, oil your hands and counter top. Divide dough into 3-4 pieces, When you cup your hands together like you are holding something you don't want to get away that is the amount of dough you want. Then pat it out to just a little bigger then your whole hand and put into the oil. Fry on one side until nice and golden brown, it can be a couple minutes to 5 minutes depending on what you are using, a frying pan will take less time and a deep fryer will take longer but is more safe way of frying. When golden using tongs flip over and fry on the other side until nice and golden.
Take out and drain on paper towel, and eat with butter and jam, serve as a side bread, or top with chili, cheese, lettuce and tomato for Indian Tacos.
I use oil to shape because it helps the dough not to stick to your hands and it keeps your oil cleaner because you won't have flour coming off the fried bread and falling to the bottom. At home I usually make it to serve with chili or soup, and the rare occasions we eat it for breakfast. We try not to eat it too often because we will get fat hahaha.

bckev
02-08-2008, 12:47 PM
It makes quite a bit, but it doesn't rise like bread so it needs more flower. It is a great dry mix to carry with you because you just add water. I flip it when it is brown on the bottom, doesn't take long to cook. I love to wrap it around meat and cheese and fry it up makes a great sandwich.

Upearly
02-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Marc; I think you need to flip them but I'm probably not the one to ask. I even burn water.

Marc
02-09-2008, 11:19 AM

Just cut the recipe in half and tried it in butter in a frying pan with some jam and it was awesome.

I'm wondering if you put all the ingredients in a large freezer bag if you'd be able to mix it without getting it all over the place while out in the woods..

pikey
02-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Bannock recipe I use when camping is

2 cups flour
1 cup Milk powder (helps brown the bread)
.5 tsp salt
1-2 tsp sugar
tsp of cinnamon.

Throw it into a ziplock and away you go, dry mix that just needs water added when ready to cook. Add about a cup of water.

Be careful not to add to much water and I normally cook it in a cast iron pan sitting sort of upright by the side of the fire, means you have to turn top to bottom to even out the cooking but the milk powder makes this really easy as you can see it brown.

pikey
02-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Oh I forgot, add a handful of raisins!

frenchbar
02-09-2008, 12:05 PM
If your ever going through Lillooet, and stop for gas at Lightfoot gas.a guy that works there makes bannock and they sell it there.he puts cranberries in his .the stuff is awesome .if i go for a day hunt i always stop and get a couple in the morning and throw in the back pack,

Rob
02-09-2008, 12:13 PM
2 Cups Flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoon of sugar
2 table spoons baking powder
Fried it in butter
Just made this one after reading this thread and really surprised at how good it turned out! Remember to keep them thin so they cook faster and the butter doesnt smoke.(at least I know my smoke alarms are still working). Thanks for the recipe, ill be using this one while camping. Rob

Gateholio
02-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Just cut the recipe in half and tried it in butter in a frying pan with some jam and it was awesome.

I'm wondering if you put all the ingredients in a large freezer bag if you'd be able to mix it without getting it all over the place while out in the woods..

Yes.

You add the water and then you can smoosh itup with your hands.

boxhitch
02-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Yes.

You add the water and then you can smoosh itup with your hands.You went to culinary school for this ?? Or are you just a mixologist ?

bckev
02-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Used this recipe for years while camping, you can mix it in a bag, I use to take a big container full because it keeps a long time.

Shed Hunter
02-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Been years since I had some. Think I will make some. Made Multigrain bread yesterday in bread machine:smile:.ALL GONE TODAY.:smile:

pmj
02-10-2008, 02:47 AM
Glad to see this thread. I have been testing a receipe (cast iron pan in the oven) I saw a few months ago on one of those survival shows on tv. Same receipe as deweys below. On that show he took a piece of wood chopped into a plank. He heated the plank by having it facing the fire, this pre heating helps to cook the underside more evenly. He spread the dough on the warmed board and had the board on an angle facing the fire. He turned the plank around to cook the top evenly. No need to flip it over.
I have added molasses which gives it an interesting taste.
I also tried it with blue berries, raisins and also black berries.
A ratio of one teaspoon of baking powder to one cup of flour seems to taste right to me. Make sure you mix the dry ingridients together well or you may taste the baking powder.

2 Cups Flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoon of sugar
2 table spoons baking powder

Rob

mistx
02-10-2008, 10:06 AM
well we just tried the dry-in-a-bag style -- and added blueberries (frozen ones------oooops -- they made it a little messy) I even finagled the wife into mixing and shaping them to cook!!! messy looking, but yummy! Wife's hands even cleaned up easy (maybe cuz no fat in recipe?!?)

tomahawk
02-10-2008, 11:54 AM
For those who have never seen it or experienced the taste here is a picture of it cooking on an open fire on a trip in the Chilcotin. We cooked a pound of bacon first and left the grease in the pan and then did the bannock ( I know its not good for you, but the flavour is beyond comparison, and besides if you only do it a coupke times in the year it won't harm you) , flipping it as it got golden brown. All three of us said it is the best breakfast any of us have ever had, bar none.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/Bannock.jpg

oldtimer
02-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Get Swampers recipe. No offense to Ali but I have never had bannock worth s--t that wasn't cooked on an open fire. Worked in Moricetown for a few years and the women taught us how the open fire adds to the taste, myself I think it was the cinders getting in the dough but it was great. Yea the lard is bad for you but so is everything else according to the news so go for it. Mike

oldtimer
02-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Yes.

You add the water and then you can smoosh itup with your hands.

smoosh itup... is that cooking tecnical terms ??

betteroffishing
02-11-2008, 08:40 AM
im not sure that its practical to be hauling a smoosher into the woods with us every time i want to fry some bread. thanks gate but there just has to be a better way.

newhunterette
02-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Get Swampers recipe. No offense to Ali but I have never had bannock worth s--t that wasn't cooked on an open fire. Worked in Moricetown for a few years and the women taught us how the open fire adds to the taste, myself I think it was the cinders getting in the dough but it was great. Yea the lard is bad for you but so is everything else according to the news so go for it. Mike

No offense taken - there are plenty recipes for bannock out there and I just posted a couple that I had kicking around. I agree open fire cooking for any great food is always wonderful as the flavours do come out from the aromas of the flames etc. - just a tip: when using an open fire as your cooking source never throw trash in the fire as those flavours also go into your food - nice heat creating woods is best

I was shown how to make bannock (open fire) by a sweet First Nation woman when I worked in Mission at the Reservation Preschool but now I can't give out all my cooking secrets can I?

Ian F.
02-29-2008, 06:48 AM
For the lazy Bisquick does a mightly fine job of becoming bannock when cooked over a fire.

Ian

ratherbefishin
02-29-2008, 08:25 AM
the secret of making good bannock-or biscuits[same thing] is the less you knead it the better-light hands.And-it goes without saying-baking it on cast iron.The trick is to get it hot enough to bake it through ,too hot and it will burn the outside but leave the center doughy.I like a dutch oven-sit it over hot coals and a few on the lid.
Another good recipe is to make yeast raised dough[regular or sweet dough-same recipe but with more sugar,eggs and shortning-plus whatever fruit,berries or raisens you have] the night before-leave it in the dutch oven over night to rise slowly-then bake in the morning-same thing-a few coals on the lid to provide ''top heat''

sealevel
02-29-2008, 09:13 AM
The real way to cook bannock is to fry the bottom then stand the frypan on edge and let the top brown from the flames of an open fire.

One warning if you ever go to sqailax pow wow or see a old native lady selling bannock in front of a teepee around Chase. Be careful .

I bought a bannock from her she asked me if i wanted her home made jam on it. I said please tasted real good .. so i was half done. She lick the jam off the knife and put it down beside the jam jar . How i have a pretty strong stomack . But dam near tossed my cookees

johnes50
02-29-2008, 10:36 AM
The real way to cook bannock is to fry the bottom then stand the frypan on edge and let the top brown from the flames of an open fire.

One warning if you ever go to sqailax pow wow or see a old native lady selling bannock in front of a teepee around Chase. Be careful .

I bought a bannock from her she asked me if i wanted her home made jam on it. I said please tasted real good .. so i was half done. She lick the jam off the knife and put it down beside the jam jar . How i have a pretty strong stomack . But dam near tossed my cookees

Yuk...... Made me laugh like crazy.:grin:

We just use flour, water, baking powder, salt.

When we made bannock on canoe trips we wood make it thick and wrap it around a skinned stick. No sugar cause it burns. If you add sugar and more water then you can make pancakes with the same mix. Smother it with jam.

thunderheart
02-05-2009, 07:26 AM
I was shown how to make bannock (open fire) by a sweet First Nation woman when I worked in Mission at the Reservation Preschool but now I can't give out all my cooking secrets can I?

but girl THATS the recipe that is probably the killer one .. :biggrin:

thunderheart
01-15-2010, 06:03 PM
but girl THATS the recipe that is probably the killer one .. :biggrin:

you still never answered this one ali...lol

ratherbefishin
01-16-2010, 07:24 AM
bannock is just buscuit mix-either buy it or make it* yourself.I've been adding a ''starter'' to mine[kick it off with a LITTLE baking soda]Makes great biscuits, pancakes or muffins-all the same basic recipe.You can add berries raisins,apple pieces -whatever.Another variation is to roll out the dough add margerine, brown sugar,raisins and cinnemon,roll up, cut and make cinnemon buns[in a dutch oven]
* for REAL bannock, use bear fat-it renders down into a hard clear odourless lard and makes great pastry or bread

VI Blackdog
01-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Mix together:
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp baking powder
then cut or rub in 1/2 cup of lard.
This will store/pack until your are ready.
Add 1 1/2 cups of cold water and knead.
Roll to 1/2 inch thick and bake at 375 till done
or put in hot oil for fry bread or on top of stew as dumplings.

martyonthewater
01-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Mix together:
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp baking powder
then cut or rub in 1/2 cup of lard.
This will store/pack until your are ready.
Add 1 1/2 cups of cold water and knead.
Roll to 1/2 inch thick and bake at 375 till done
or put in hot oil for fry bread or on top of stew as dumplies.
very similar to my recipe, it's nice cause it keeps in a pantry as the dry mix for quite a while.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
01-16-2010, 10:31 PM
Spoon size gobs on top of stew makes good dumplings too

Moose Guide
01-18-2010, 03:53 PM
1 cup flour 1 mod. heap. tsp. baking powder 1/8 tsp. salt feeds 2 people add what ya wanna!!!

LYKTOHUNT
01-19-2010, 10:36 AM
If you got kids one our favorite things to do is spiral it around a green stick and roast it over a campfire then eat it with jam and butter. Mmmmmm!
Trust me you dont have to be a kid to like that:)