PDA

View Full Version : Family/Hunting Dog wanted

MidnightRun
02-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Looking for advise from GSP and Lab owners.

I have been looking at GSP's specificaly for over a year now, based on the following: Family companion, Grouse hunting.
Now here is the reality: I would like a dog that will work in my famly situation which is my wife and our 2 1/2 yr old son and my sister who also lives with us (she has an older cat that stays in her room). I have a decent size fenced yard in town. My son and I make it out to the bush 1-2 times a week, sometimes more if I can get away with it for hunting, fishing, atving, plinking or whatever. My rationale for a GSP over a Lab has been its smaller physical size and propensity for upland birds. Its been 5 years since my last dog and I would really to make the right decision for myself / family and fairness to the dog breed. Any recomendations from experience would be greatly apreciated!

LOC
02-07-2008, 05:27 PM
I have a 1.5 year old GSP, he is a great dog, but full of energy. During the week he is out for at least 2 walks a day, or a walk and an hour or so at the off leash park. Weekends is either in the bush or out 3 times a day with him - and he still has energy to spare.
We don't have kids, but he is very gental around the niece and nephew, seems to sense they can't handle as much and calms right down around them.
He doesn't like cats, but he didn't grow up with any either, he is good with other dogs though.

plumbob
02-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Labs are great but it's real tough to have a serious hunting dog and a family pet.If you want a dog that can retreive and be a pet I have had luck with labs.Mine have all been good with cats and other pets.

rugeer
02-07-2008, 05:59 PM
I had a german short hair for his life (13 years) easy to train,loved to work, but very needy, these dogs need a lot of attention and a lot of exercise. They are a good family dog as they are not aggresive not bad for everyday camping, but you don't want them in the boat when you are salmon fishing as they are very exitable also the whole family has to be invoved with its training as they have a tendancy to be a one man dog( that was my mistake the dog and my son were born a month apart my wife did not have the time) . As with any purebreed look at the history of the parents you do not want a lot of vet bills

Poguebilt
02-07-2008, 09:57 PM
I have a 1.5 year old GSP, he is a great dog, but full of energy. During the week he is out for at least 2 walks a day, or a walk and an hour or so at the off leash park. Weekends is either in the bush or out 3 times a day with him - and he still has energy to spare.
We don't have kids, but he is very gental around the niece and nephew, seems to sense they can't handle as much and calms right down around them.
He doesn't like cats, but he didn't grow up with any either, he is good with other dogs though.

TOO FAR!! Hagen will back this up too!

MidnightRun
02-07-2008, 10:35 PM
I appreciate what has been said here so far, looking forward to more input.

Poguebilt, can you clarify this:

TOO FAR!! Hagen will back this up too!

tomahawk
02-07-2008, 10:48 PM
I have owned a GSP years ago and now have a choc lab. They both are smart, easily trained and faithful. The lab I would say is more lively and ready to go for anything than the GSP. If you want a smaller lab get the english labs, males are only about 24".

moosinaround
02-07-2008, 10:57 PM
I'll Tell yah The best dog I have had ever was a Golden Retriever! Gentle, strong, and an AWESOME retriever and tracker. This dog was loyal, loving and energetic. Kids could use him as a jungle gym and he would just lay there. Very fast learner, and never forgot commands. He lived for the outdoors, Water, mud, water, water, must have been part fish. Lost him to a car last easter, loved that bugger!! We now have a Black lab. She is strong, energetic, and VERY headstrong. She is just over a year now and has started to come into her own. Starting to listen better, and remember commands. Not a very good retriever right now, I am hoping to change that. Don't think I could go without one now, sure would like another Golden though!! RIP MACKIE we miss yah buddy!! Moosin

farside
02-08-2008, 05:04 PM
My vote is GSP. Very easily trained as they have a need to please. BUT they are an active dog. A tired GSP is a happy GSP. Great with kids and can be protective when there is need. Ours was not needy but he did like to be around us. We didn't have to train him for grouse - he showed us how its done. Hated wet grouse though. Would drop the bird for sure.:cool:

Jimsue
02-11-2008, 11:01 AM
What ever you decide on make sure they are working stock parents, not show dogs, make sure the parents have all the health clearances that affect that breed, OFFA and CERF for labs would be manditory for any thing I breed to. I'm sure some one who is into GSP can inform you what to look for in that breed. I'v only ever had labs so my input on which is best would be a bit bias...............

diggerpax
02-12-2008, 06:16 AM
I have a 1 1/2 year old 40 lb Golden from a competitive hunting breeder that is a great dog. I've always had labs, but this dog is starting to change my ways- she's very, very calm in the house, and her second retrieve was on a goose 40 yards out in the water. I posted some pics if you search my username. GSP have an amazing nose, and for the hardcore upland hunter they are hard to beat. Labs are great too, but it can be hard to find one that hunts hard and doesn't break everything in the house with a wagging tail. I've had several labs, but only one that couldn't be replaced. If you do look into goldens, be sure to look for a competitive hunting line- and the majority I've seen are great house/family dogs. For the best incite, contact a local hunting dog trainer to get the real goods, most of us are pretty biased about our dogs.

Islandeer
02-12-2008, 06:07 PM
I have a litter on the way, check out my gallery. Great family ,hunting and trialing dogs.

MidnightRun
02-13-2008, 05:37 PM
I looked at your photo gallery, nice pics of your dog.

PM sent

riflebuilder
02-13-2008, 06:02 PM
I picked up a pup that was a GSP / Chocotale Lab cross, she was a great family dog and loved hunting. I bread her once to a GWP the pups were some of the best hunting dogs I have ever seen. My GSP female was used by my two year old as a pillow. I don't believe that you can't have a great family dog and a great hunter I have had both many times. Just make sure you spend time with them. Female dogs are better behaved and try to please more than males. The males are all about themselves, kind of like us.

GoatGuy
02-13-2008, 06:10 PM
I've only hunted over one GSP. Extremely well trained, good nose and major amounts of energy. Definitely needs a lot of exercise.

Labs are smart too just not as haywire. My lab also seems to be able to relax and focus when it's needed.

Probably a function of age to a degree also.

Don't think you'll go wrong with either.

MidnightRun
02-13-2008, 06:18 PM
That sounds like the ultimate compromise for what I'm seeking. I cant say that I've seen a Lab x Gsp in the Buysell or store bulletin boards.