PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Cable Wear

Bigbear
02-05-2008, 12:03 PM
On Mathews Bows, Hoyt Bows, and Other Bows that have the stealth shot or other types of String Dampeners. The Reason for that wear, is that the Dampener stops the string, But the cables and the Cams that are still trying to complete the full cycle because they are not dampened. So there is a Fraction of time that there is slack in the Cables because the string is stopped prematurely. As the Cables come back into Position they Tap against the side of the Cam causing it to wear on the serving or on the string Part of the Cable just short of the connection post on the Bottom Cam. eg. Mathews Bows with Barracuda cables where there is no serving at the point.

It seems that if the Dampeners are set Back from the string 1/8 of an Inch it reduces the excessive wear tremendously. It still does the Job intended, But with less Cable, and string wear.

With the Hoyt Bows, it is Simple just loosen the the 2 screws and set the stealth shot so you can set it in an 1/8 ". Mathews Bows, Make a small shim and set it in the Inside part of the limb. You will have to drill The holes to match the mounting holes on the string Dampener Mount.

These was compiled thru tests in the shop and advice from different string makers, and Bow Mechanics. I hope this is of some help.

Bow Walker
02-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Great post/advice. I'm going to check to make double sure that it's not happening on my Hoyt and/or my Diamond. Thanks Bigbear.