PDA

View Full Version : Nanaimo River Estuary

longshot
02-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Anybody know if you can still hunt in the Nanaimo Estuary for duck? Haven't hunted there in a while. Don't want to wake up the whole neighbourhood and find out you can't hunt there.
Thanks!! :D

longshot

Marc
02-04-2008, 08:40 PM
I've never been there yet myself but I can't see why you can't hunt it.

Bow Walker
02-04-2008, 08:56 PM
I used to hunt there with my brothers when I was in my 20's and 30's. Got my first double there - it was with a 16ga. single shot. Turned out to be a hen and a drake mallard. Tasty!

I used to "put in" by the Bold Knight, onto the Chase River and either drag the punt down the rover at low tide or float down. One year, during a big snow storm I shot a couple right in the river channel - on the way out to the estuary.

By the time I got down under the railroad trestle and just out into the open I couldn't see more than 20 yards. I turned around and paddled back up the Chase River and went home with my two ducks and called it a day.

Lottsa memories from that place. All of them good.

longshot
02-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Thanks guys :D,
Nice shooting, have hunted for a while and haven't gotten a double yet. With my luck I will get a double, but then I will have shot one to many over my limit :lol:.

Jager
02-04-2008, 10:36 PM
I believe there are certain municipal boundaries to watch out for...ie City limits. Someone told me you can get a map or at least clarification from the city of Nanaimo. The one time I hunted there (went with someone from college) we accessed from White road (first left after the Cedar bridge).

358win
02-04-2008, 10:56 PM
I used to hunt there as well 20 yrs ago but sorry guys, it's a no shoot zone now, classed as city limits. Old parking place west of the river is now a model airplane club and "no shooting" signs are marked on roads.

Johnnybear
02-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Drive down past the reserve on the "East" side of the River and you can hunt a certain boundry. Download and print the map from the city of Nanaimo web site.