PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Arrow Inserts......?

Will
02-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Here's one for the Tech wizards, Forgive my complete lack of Knowledge regarding Carbons.....

My supply of aluminums is depleting abit ;-) so I've got some Custom made Carbons on the way.......they will be cut to length with inserts installed....guess I gotta try em....so many Folks hold carbons in high regard.

What I'm wondering is do standard Broadheads screw onto carbon inserts or are they different then the norm ?

The reason I ask is I have one particular pack of Muzzies that came with little "washers" it says are for carbon arrows with recessed inserts ?

I'm not sure what the norm is for Carbons.......? Or do standard heads screw right on ? Got about 4-5 different broadheads to try out if they do.
I could ask the outfit that's putting them together for me but it takes a couple days for a reply and well this place is much Faster:wink:

Just wanna know if my Broadhead supply will need some upgrading as well.

Thanks for any help clarifying this for me...carbons are way beyond Me ! :neutral:

Nuge Signature Goldtips.
Cut to 30"s with inserts installed.
Dipped in white & Crested by hand(red black and gold)
Gateway 4" Feathers, right helical.
Black Goldtip GT adj knocks.

http://i5.ebayimg.com/08/i/000/d6/b8/0b8e_3.JPG

Bow Walker
02-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Willy Wabbit..
Excellent choice for a carbon hunting shaft - especially for your recurve. The inserts are good to go for just about any broadhead you care to name. They'll screw in just fine.

Those little washers "for recessed inserts" are so that the end of the shaft is protected. The recessed inserts (like Easton's H.I.T. or Hidden Insert Technology) leave a bit of bare carbon shaft before the insert itself as it is recessed into the shaft.

Also the little washers are generally on Replaceable Blade Broadheads. It's one way of locking the blades into the BH tip. Just to confuse the issue - there are some things called U.B.A.R.'s....these are Universal Broadhead Adaptor Rings. They help align the BH to the shaft and also provide a strengthening component to the arrow.

Brambles
02-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Here's one for the Tech wizards, Forgive my complete lack of Knowledge regarding Carbons.....

My supply of aluminums is depleting abit so I've got some Custom made Carbons on the way.......they will be cut to length with inserts installed....guess I gotta try em....so many Folks hold carbons in high regard.

What I'm wondering is do standard Broadheads screw onto carbon inserts or are they different then the norm ?

The reason I ask is I have one particular pack of Muzzies that came with little "washers" it says are for carbon arrows with recessed inserts ?

I'm not sure what the norm is for Carbons.......? Or do standard heads screw right on ? Got about 4-5 different broadheads to try out if they do.
I could ask the outfit that's putting them together for me but it takes a couple days for a reply and well this place is much Faster:wink:

Just wanna know if my Broadhead supply will need some upgrading as well.

Thanks for any help clarifying this for me...carbons are way beyond Me ! :neutral:

Nuge Signature Goldtips.
Cut to 30"s with inserts installed.
Dipped in white & Crested by hand(red black and gold)
Gateway 4" Feathers, right helical.
Black Goldtip GT adj knocks.

Mr traditional shooting carbons:eek::lol: I love it. Soon you'll be strapping on some training wheels.

I'm assuming with recessed inserts the washers prevent the blades from being pushed back and splitting the carbon shaft like an axe. If you have an insert with a protruding shoulder you should be fine but you should be able to use the washers regardless.

Brambles
02-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Damn I'm too slow today:biggrin:

sealevel
02-03-2008, 11:08 AM
pretty arras Will !! the threads in carbon inserts are the same.so all your broadheads will fit. I hold carbons in high regard they are way tougher and will last a whole lot longer . Although you lose them just as easy

Bow Walker
02-03-2008, 11:09 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_22.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYJOCA) Nyah, nyah......said he, with a mouthful of worms http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_2_5.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYJOCA)

Bow Walker
02-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Will - did you have a look at GT's fake wood arrows for Traditional setups?

J_T
02-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Will,

I went to carbons last year for hunting. They do fly just that much better than my woods. I also set them up so they are lighter.

I picked up some large/longer brass inserts for the end. It added weight and strength. I'm still shooting my 145 gr Journeyman two blade heads. I screw in an insert. All adds to a bit more weight up front.

I've also slid/twisted a piece of polyprop rope up the inside to add another 100 gr to the arrow. I've got a great match, shooting 640 gr hunting arrows off of a 62-64 lb Take Down Hunter recurve.

greybark
02-03-2008, 12:47 PM
:wink: Fred Asbels recent arrow toughness test surprised many as WOOD arrows placed first with Alum second and carbon last . The achillies heal for carbons is the tendency to break off at the end of the adapter . No matter how they lenghtened the adapter the break off persisted . Food for thought !!!!!!

Will
02-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Great replies Fellas...........Thanks, sure cleared up some thoughts I had:cool:
I'm not terribly surprised at the strength of "WOOD".....I've bounced quite a few off rocks and such...only lost one sofar when I "missed" the mark and it hit straight onto a cement block...idiot :rolleyes:

Will - did you have a look at GT's fake wood arrows for Traditional setups?
I was looking at Goldtips "Traditional" ones......they have a wood grain finish...looked Nice but I figured If I was gonna Shoot Cheezie Carbons then Might as well Shoot the Cheeziest out there and went with the NUGE Arrows:wink:
Thanks again.